• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black player windows - disappointed with Premiere Pro 2019

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After subscribing to Creative Cloud full plan in November, after upgrading from photography plan, I am finding myself doing my video edits on Apple iMovie because Premiere is just so incredibly unreliable and flaky.  I did not notice these issues in 2018 version.

Source monitor and timeline video player windows just go black all the time and makes Premiere completely unusable.  I mean, it does it after project open for 5 minutes.  And a project with just 20 x 3 minute HD videos open in MTS format does this.  So I am hardly thrashing the software.....  The software is completely unusable.

I am on a high specification machine:

Premiere pro 2019 - latest version as of 18th Jan 2019

i7-8700k

32G RAM

3 TB SSD space NVMe

Nvidia 1060 6G card - I have tried latest and archived drivers.

Windows 10 x64 latest updates.

Minimal machine with only essential software installed.

Windows starts in about 5 seconds to the desktop.

Machine is 4K desktop.

Machine works PERFECTLY for Photoshop and Lightroom, games, other graphics packages and every other program I throw at it.

After trying to exit after it becomes unresponsive premiere crashes and I have to kill the process from windows.

I try software render but that does not work either,

Very disappointed because the software has great promise.  Tried the trick of renaming the 13.0 folder to old_13.0 but issue reoccurs.

Would appreciate assistance please folks since i am stuck...

Is there a way to go back to Premiere 2018 please?

Stephen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Hmmm, I read an article about resetting preferences holding the ALT key down when starting Premiere.  And it seems to have worked.  WTF ??? Why should resetting my "preferences" make any difference at all t the nature of thus problem???

I must say this software is so incredibly powerful and great at what it does.  I really want to make progress with Adobe and I don't want to go elsewhere, and hopefully I won't have to.   Adobe need to spend some more development cycles on stability and code matur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away from that computer now - on the bus to having a beer with buddies - but some additional points.

I always have the project clips in thumbnail view.  Hmm, wonder if I have them in list view.... ?

I have  put the project clips into bins, a max of 20 per min (which would be a crazy way to work but I did it nonetheless), but still does this black-out of the player windows and a program hang.

Happy to run any debug code to assist Adobe.

I am a developer myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have but one hdd?

What kind of footage are you trying to edit?

Reverting back to 2018:

Open a New Premiere Pro Project on an Older Version! New PP Project on Older version, no software! -...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply,

The Adobe CC apps are installed on my 1TB NVMe C drive and the video clips are installed on an additional 2TB NVMe drive - my D Drive.  I built this system for speed and for adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro.  The system is a speed demon.   I really want to learn Adobe and become a content creator but this issue is  preventing me progressing.

I have the CUDA cores enabled in the project settings.

next step is to delete CC apps completely and clean and do a complete reinstall of adobe applications.  I already removed and reinstalled premiere alone but that didn’t work either and the video player windows in timeline and source monitor just go black.

i need to to check system memory utilisation.  Maybe there is a memory leak.....

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to this I thought I would try to edit some new files, some 4K ones.  I monitor memory utilisation and it sits between 8 and 18 Gig (out of 32G) so that appears OK.

However, I then get a total system crash after about five minutes.  All I have done is add my video files to the project (in thumbnail mode and about 40 of them ) and then open ONE 4K file and add it to the timeline with it still present in source monitor.  It plays fine, edits fine, all smooth and buttery response and then completely crashes windows:

IMG_3940.jpg

I am going to try and completely remove CC, use the Adobe cleaning tool, and then reinstall all the apps.

Windows 10 latest updates, NVidia drivers 417.71 (latest as of 19th Jan 2019).  All other apps and games work perfectly (including Lightroom classic and Photoshop).  There is nothing wrong with the graphics card or my system.  It is not overclocked.

I have some 4k wedding coverage to edit.  Only as an amateur but all the same, I am doing it as a wedding gift and it looks like I will have to do it in Final Cut at this rate    I thought I was buying into the best with Adobe Premiere.  I am very disappointed.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought. Do you have the ram at max speed? if so lower it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run a search for SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running at stock speeds or overclocked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting......

I uninstalled all the C applications. Rebooted.  Then ran the CC cleaner.  Rebooted.  Reinstalled the CC apps (just the ones I use - Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Premiere and After Effects.  Rebooted.

I can now edit 4K videos in MOV files format just fine and no crash!

However, opening the older HD projects the MTS file extensions (from my Panasonic HD camcorder), i keep getting the black windows.  TBH, I can live with editing those in iMovie since I do not have many projects.  Moving forward I am a 4K guy so it is important that this is working - which after that the remove/reinstall kerfuffle it appears to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest nvidia driver is now 417.71  WHQL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I have installed on my 1060.  Tried earlier drivers as well to fix the black/frozen play window/source monitor issue.  No joy.  I have installed Premiere on my mac as well to try it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on my MAC (Mojave)  I get the same issue with MTS files as I do on PC - EXACTLY the same.  The play windows are black and I cannot quit Premiere without force quitting.  This seems to be an issue with MTS file type.  These are HD files created by my Panasonic Camcorder.  I do not have the issue with files from my Fuji (MOV format).  I have tried multiple files from different years.  Always teh same with MTS files.  iMovie handles these files without any issue at all.

Something about these files is hanging Premiere.

I also notice an error "A low level exception occurred in Adobe Scopes (Transmit: Create Instance") when i open my project with these files.

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 19.28.39.pngScreenshot 2019-01-20 at 19.26.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 19.22.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I read an article about resetting preferences holding the ALT key down when starting Premiere.  And it seems to have worked.  WTF ??? Why should resetting my "preferences" make any difference at all t the nature of thus problem???

I must say this software is so incredibly powerful and great at what it does.  I really want to make progress with Adobe and I don't want to go elsewhere, and hopefully I won't have to.   Adobe need to spend some more development cycles on stability and code maturity and less on new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines