• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rebuild smart previews in the cloud

Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited a lot of smart previews in LR Classic without the originals connected. The photos are synced to the cloud in different shared galleries. I guess the quality could have been even better if I could rebuild the smart previews in the cloud from the originals. So is it a way to force them to rebuild?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

The smart previews do not need rebuilding. They will not change based on any develop settings. They are downscaled raw data that is compressed with a jpeg-like algorithm (though not exactly jpeg as it retains the original bit depth). The only way to get higher quality rendering is if you upload the actual raw originals. This cannot be done from Lightroom Classic but you can do using the Lightroom CC desktop application. It will recognize that the raw file you are uploading is one it already has

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The smart previews do not need rebuilding. They will not change based on any develop settings. They are downscaled raw data that is compressed with a jpeg-like algorithm (though not exactly jpeg as it retains the original bit depth). The only way to get higher quality rendering is if you upload the actual raw originals. This cannot be done from Lightroom Classic but you can do using the Lightroom CC desktop application. It will recognize that the raw file you are uploading is one it already has and place the raw file right with the smart preview online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer!

But in this thread I was told that edited smart previews would make better exports if they were updated from the originals first. Maybe they misunderstood my question slightly. Of course I will get better results when exporting from the originals. What I actually meant was if the smart previews would be better if they were updated from the originals after editing. And according to your answer they wouldn't? And I assume that smart previews behave similarly either they are stored locally or in the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ernstv21515445  wrote

Thank you for the answer!

But in Exporting from edited smart previews  I was told that edited smart previews would make better exports if they were updated from the originals first. Maybe they misunderstood my question slightly. Of course I will get better results when exporting from the originals. What I actually meant was if the smart previews would be better if they were updated from the originals after editing. And according to your answer they wouldn't? And I assume that smart previews behave similarly either they are stored locally or in the cloud?

You misunderstand what is said in that thread. Exports do not get better if the smart previews get updated, exports get better if they can be rendered from the original full size raw data instead of from (smaller and compressed) smart preview data.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So the smart previews themselves will not get any better, even if I connect to the source files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No indeed. Smart previews are always exactly the same. They are independent

of what edits you did. They are always rendered directly from the source

raw data and there is no influence of any develop settings you have done.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 5:18 AM ernstv21515445 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much! Then I learned something new today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines