• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2019 randomly using all system RAM and crashing?_12 (WIN)

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. This system is a new build: WIN10 Pro 64, i9-7960x (O.C.@4.3MHz), 128GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4-3600 RAM (6GB reserved for other apps), Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB System drive, 970 Pro 512GB scratch drive (for all Adobe and Resolve Media caches and preview files). Media resides on Raid 3 4x4TB WD Black through an Areca raid card.

I notice the RAM going supernova when Adobe Premiere is conforming media and/or generating peak files, such as when opening a project where these files do not exist (and "generate peak files automatically" is turned on), or when there are source effects applied and Premiere Pro need to conform the media file. It doesn't crash my system, but it makes working the timeline impossible while this process is happening.

The system is really quite new, so I have not yet witnessed the memory spike in Premiere Pro CC2019 in any other circumstances.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

I was able to work a few hours without the memory spike issue after resetting the dynamic links. By reset I mean the "edit original" thing in my earlier post. It seems to me there is some loop happening inside of dynamic link until you open and resave the linked AE comp, thus "resetting" the link. But I need to do the reset every time I open the project. Hope this info helps.

Update:

I think I found a way to make the reset link stick.

After resetting all dynamic links in the project:

1. Save the projec

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, in case it's helpful, I was able to at least temporarily remedy my version of this issue via a specific method of creating a new project:

Create new project - navigate to old (memory leaking) project file in Media Browser - double click to open (within Media Browser) - select all contents - right click - Import

Any other version of importing to a new project (for example selecting the project file itself and importing) reproduced the original problem for me.

I'm still working with Wes to diagnose the underlying issue (mine seems potentially linked to multicams) but just in case anyone hasn't tried this particular method to get clear of the problem, it's worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Yes, I remember that workaround from the CS versions. I am trying this workaround now with a medium-large project containing a grab bag of formats. It just conformed about a half-a-terabyte of gopro footage; I imported; saved; closed project; reopened project - arghh! Off she goes.

So on a whim I opened After Effects and memory usage went down a little bit. The without loading an AE project I closed AE. Memory usage went down to normal - for a couple of minutes. I figured I was onto something with dynamic link, and the two AE projects that were linked to this Premiere Pro project. So, one at a time, I right-clicked each AE project and chose "edit original". Once each project opened in AE memory usage went down. I double checked that everything was hunky-dory and saved the project. Once both linked projects were complete... seems to be working until I save the project, close and reload.

So, still no solution, but symptoms and attempted solutions seem to point to dynamic link as a possible cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did use the essential graphics panel to Export as Motion Grsphics Template and save in Library on my massive 36 sequence project on Sunday and Monday. Tues is when I ran into trouble in a totally diff project. Maybe it has to do with some dynamic link syncing stuff. It makes me want to disconnect this computer from internet 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still playing with some dynamic link stuff with the following results.

After momentary success with "edit original" dynamic link materials I look at the AI and PSD files in the project and do the same - with the same results.

But wait, about 5 minutes after all that the memory spike ended and the system seems to be holding on to using a small amount of memory. None of the other Adobe apps are open. I do have task manager and system resources windows open, as well as a browser, a file explorer window and a command prompt. I am also running a file back-up in the background.

Ten minutes now. Time to save/close/reopen. I hate to do it because I have this window where I can actually get work done.

That was a mistake.

Well, I'm going to go through the dynamic link/AE thing again and at least try to get some stuff done before morning. Maddening.

P.S. I tried to run Premiere Pro with the ethernet disconnected (no wi-fi) - same memory spike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to work a few hours without the memory spike issue after resetting the dynamic links. By reset I mean the "edit original" thing in my earlier post. It seems to me there is some loop happening inside of dynamic link until you open and resave the linked AE comp, thus "resetting" the link. But I need to do the reset every time I open the project. Hope this info helps.

Update:

I think I found a way to make the reset link stick.

After resetting all dynamic links in the project:

1. Save the project
  2. Close PP
  3. Open PP and create new project and do the import of the reset project through Media Browser panel as described above.

I have only done this for my current project, and after two save/close/reopen cycles it seems to be holding on to the dynamic links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The situations in my previous post (conforming media/generating peak files) turned out to be coincidental and not the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines