Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import GoPro Hero 7 4k30 HEVC footage resulting in audio only

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I know there are numerous topics on the gopro and adobe forums, watched youtube tutorials. I have read a lot but I am still confused.

This week I bought a monthly adobe cc premiere pro plan. Installed version 13.02.

On our annual skiing trip I shot a lot of cool movies in 4k30 16:9 HEVC format. (file name of the videos similar to: GX010058.MP4). Now I want to edit all of these videos into a nice movie. If I am correct this version of premiere pro cc should be able to support HEVC files.

My main issue: if I import any GX......MP4 movie into premiere pro I only get audio into premiere pro.

My current editing rig is my dell laptop (8th gen i7 processor, 16gb ram).

On the web I see a lot of suggestions like: converting the movies upfront with handbrake. Or converting the movies with Adobe Media Encoder before starting to edit in premiere pro.

But I dont want to convert. Why is converting required? Is my understanding correct that, if you have the right sufficiently powerful editing rig, that converting would not be required?

My main issue with converting is: It takes a lot of time, and I am afraid to loose video quality in the converting process. To illustrate:

My understanding of HEVC is that it should be an "efficient way" of saving video files. So if I convert the HEVC H265 into H264 (high bitrate identical source), why are my H264 files much smaller than the h265 files. I can only draw one conclusion and that is that I am sacrificing on video quality (although I cannot immediately see any difference in quality).

Why can GoPro Quick application edit the HEVC Files immediately and is Premiere CC not able to import the files?

All of your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure! that  being said: I am very new here and need to see how that works. I will try  but if you have any suggestion how to do that here that would be great.

kr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Dropbox or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well while thinking about it, I tried installing premiere pro on my desktop pc (i7 2600k, 16gb, Gefore 1060 6GB ram).

There it works properly....

So I do have difficulty understanding why it doesnt work on my laptop. But now I dont have any issues anymore as i can continue the editing on my desktop system.

Ann thanks for your quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main issue with converting is: It takes a lot of time,

Get used to it.  For any kind of H.264 or H.265 media, I recommend using Cineform proxies.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems like the hevc codec isnt installed properly in premiere. If you are on Windows, go to: "C:\users\public\documents\adobeinstalledcodecs" and delete the folder "1.0" . After that, start premiere and import a gx file of the gopro.  Now you should have audio and video as well, like it should from the beginning. Stupid bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Latest version of Premiere, Windows etc... Premiere only imports audio from GPH7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here...anyone have the solution? or nothing yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines