Exit

wacom tablet jittery with graphic's processing enabled

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've had the wacom intuos pro for some time and mainly do photo editing

I use liquify a lot and if I have the graphics processing enabled my pen tip gets quite jittery and the tablet become quite useless.

I did some googling and went to services to restart the wacom tablet driver but no luck

the only solution I could find is to disable graphic's processing on photoshop

Using Windows 10 and GTX750Ti

graphic's driver version is 364.51 according to nvidia control panel

Wacom driver is 6.3.15-3

Does anyone have any tip to resolving the issue other than to disabling graphic's processing support?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

If Windows Ink is disabled

Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using WinTab or Windows Ink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Windows Ink is disabled

Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt

Put (copy) the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings\

Restart Photoshop and check the pen pressure and overall performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, Trevor

Big Thanks first!

I've turned off Windows Ink by un-checking the check box (highlighted in green rect.) on your screenshot

It has alleviated the symptom tremendously but still feel jittery in liquify with the graphics support on.

Not sure if the unchecking the checkbox does the same thing or not, but copying the txt file in "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 Settings" folder has helped further smooth the operation....

still a ted bit jittery but a huge advance compared to previous performance

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it sounds like you are using Windows, do you have Lazy Nezumi Pro installed?  Now I am not sure if it will help with this or not.  I've talked to Guillaume about jittery pen movement and Lazy Nezumi Pro, and I have a feeling he said it wouldn't help in that respect, but it is worth a try.  I am of the opinion that no tablet is complete without LNP as well, and it keeps getting better.  There is also the complication that with some operations LNP is more of a hindrance than a help.  The Crop tool for instance, is impossible to use with LNP turned on.

Give it a try.  You get 30 days trial, and it costs $35 to buy.  I LOVE it, but my gut feeling is that it won't fix your problem.

Since this GPU related, have you tried using different GPU settings rather than turning it off completely?  Set Drawing mode to Basic, or turn off use OpenCL.  You need to restart Photoshop after each change for them to take effect.

It's a common problem — including it being especially bad with Liquify — and I have heard of people fixing it by rolling back the Wacom driver.

I also suspect that Wacom issues are often related to crosstalk with other pointer devices, like mice and touchpads.  What are you using?  Setpoint, for instance, I've heard of causing problems with Wacom devices.  If you are using it and have a non setpoint mouse you can use, then try removing it.

What tablet are you using and is it wireless?  Try using a cable.  Do you have a cordless phone on the computer desk?

Is the problem consistent?  If not can you correlate the problem to other factors?

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor for more reply

I'm using Wacom Intuos Pro medium

Since your post about Windows Ink, I thought everything was OK

but then when I looked more close to the settings I noticed the pressure wasn't registering during the liquify at all (stylus pressure check box was greyed out)

reinstalled the driver and the pressure was back on

but the jittery performance was back again

now I'm thinking this is more of a Wacom hardware problem....

or maybe some sort of driver screw up (it's a rather slim chance that this is the case since I clean reinstalled the windows on my 128gb ssd and all the drivers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Trevor

From my last post I've called Wacom first and have told them of the symptom

They've told me that everything should be running smooth and asked me to send a video via e-mail

I've tested on my MacBook Pro (15" highest with external Nvidia graphics latest Yosemite and CC and Driver) as well and the jittery cursor was barely noticeable but was there as well

I went to Wacom service center in my city (Seoul, South Korea) and the staffs were rather baffled by the symptom

I've tested my tablet on their computer (running windows 7 and photoshop CS5) and the cursor was running smooth in liquify even with graphics support enabled.

They've never seen any behavior like this before and heard no report yet

I've tested their tablet on display ( actual working display model for customers walking in to play with while the their products are being repaired ) on my MacBook pro

and the cursor was jittery as well

so they're going to try out with Windows10 and Photoshop CC on their own PCs to see if it's occurring on Windows10+PsCC

and then contact Wacom Japan on Monday to see if this is a known case and that if there's a solution to it.

Their diagnose was that this is a result of some sort of driver/program/OS mess up since my tablet was running fine on their computer.

If this is indeed software related, they told me it's going to be a long wait until new driver or software update from Wacom and Adobe would roll out since it'd require more than Wacom to come up with a fix.

I'll post update as I get news from Wacom Korea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edit

From my last post -> Since my last post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've received the test model from Wacom Korea and the results were the same

now hardware is definitely not causing the problem, at least not the tablet...

the issue was occurring both my work desktop and personal desktop and I've only tested on work desktop so....

I'm gonna tinker with the test model a bit more and visit Wacom Korea on Thursday (GMT+9)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just before I left work, I installed driver on my co-worker's PC (i5 with AMD graphics HD...6 thousand something, windows10) and it was flawless with/without graphics support on PsCC settings

I returned home from work and have tested with a laptop(lenovo E320 with i5 and switcheable graphics between intel and AMD, win7), desktop(i3 with intel graphics, win10) and MBPr15" late 2013 with latest Yosemite update

MBPr does show a bit of jittery once in a while but it's not too bad compared to the desktop (i3)

lenovo laptop showed flawless performance with both external and internal graphics...

desktop was OK but on both (graphics support on/off) occasions the cursor would jump opposite to the direction of my stroke time to time...

test model's the same

I took video of each test with my phone and will be presenting the case to the Wacom Korea on Thursday..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevors fix worked for me. But it apparently is importnat how you save the file. So you have to make it in notepad and then File > SaveAs... Otherwise it will not work.

Also I didn't need to disable "use windows ink".

I'm running. Win 10, PS 15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor, the txt file did the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'm having the some problem but the txt saved me!

Just pay attention, notepad save ita as "PSUserConfig.txt.txt" and obviously it doesn't work this way, check it and change the name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Solution:

Mostly people suggest turn off GPU Acceleration, but GPU Acc helps with the speed of Liquify. The better way: Open Nvidia Control Panel by right click on desktop,  go to 3D Management to the left and select Programs and then find Photoshop, and turned OFF vertical sync for photoshop, click APPLY at the bottom. Restart Photoshop. Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines