Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary Widget Interaction in Captivate 2017 Issues

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 2017 Blank Project

I have created a Glossary widget according to Dr. Pooja in 'Adding a Glossary Interaction in Adobe Captivate 6 courses' then followed her instruction in ' Making the Glossary interaction available throughout the course in Adobe Captivate 6'.

My Glossary is sitting on my 1st blank slide, should it be in my master slides instead?

My Glossary won't preview and I cannot work out what I am doing wrong!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added any text for terms and definitions so far to your Glossary?

If this is HTML5 output, have you tested the glossary AFTER uploading to a web server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added all my definition text and images to some of these definitions.

I have tested in preview > HTML5 in browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK then the MOST likely reason why your Glossary is not showing up in the published output is that you have inadvertently included certain punctuation marks in your terms or definitions.  If you check through the text, do you see any Ampersands (&), parentheses (especially in the Term text), chevrons (<>)?

If so, strip all of these out and try again.

I personally prefer creating an XML document (in the format suggested by the learning interaction) so that I can use the same document to insert glossary text across multiple course modules rather than having to add them in manually each time.  That also makes it easier to make corrections and update the widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give this a go. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Do brackets (), colons:;, forward slash // effect the Glossary widget?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's something you need to confirm by testing.  Just insert a widget into a blank single slide project and try adding punctuation characters until you break it.

Parentheses () certainly stop it dead in its tracks if you happen to use them in the Term area, but for some reason (known only to the coder of this widget) they seem to be OK for use in the Definition field.

However, the general rule of thumb is that you should be avoiding any punctuation characters that are also used in JavaScript or HTML code.

Test and see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m having this exact issue this week.  I have not found documentation on the glossary widget that describes what is allowed and what isn't - but did learn through trial and error what Rod has described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good to hear that Rod's advice works as I am currently editing my very large Glossary which also includes images. Do you have images in your Glossary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - I have not included graphics in my glossary.  My glossary is very simple - an acronym listing essentially. 

One thing I did learn how to do for testing purposes, was to copy the slide I want to test - in this case the slide the glossary widget is on - into a new, blank project and then publish that one frame project in order to test it.  That makes testing and fixing quicker and easier.  I use that method for any single frame that I need to extensively troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

I am intere@sted in your suggestion of

"I personally prefer creating an XML document (in the format suggested by the learning interaction) so that I can use the same document to insert glossary text across multiple course modules rather than having to add them in manually each time.  That also makes it easier to make corrections and update the widgets."

I am a novice with Captivate 2017 and building elearning modules.

right now I am building 10 out of 60, but would like the same glossary available for all of the modules as needed.

Thanks,

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The learning interaction shows the required format for the xml tags.  You just have to create an xml document with the term and definition tags all conforming to this pattern.  Once you have that document, you can import it into any of the projects where you need to display that Glossary.

I set mine up originally using a modified Excel spreadsheet that had one column for the Term and another one for the Definition, with other columns for the opening and closing tags required.  This way I could add as many terms and definitions as I wanted and then save as a text document to get the final XML.  It took a bit of fiddling initially, but I debugged it first with just a handful of terms before adding over 300 or so in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

we will have to try that and see if we can figure it out too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources