Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open captions - limited support of fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

which fonts are supported for Open Captions? How to install other fonts which i want to use? For instance I want to use some CONDENSED variants of fonts but it is not supported. Why? How to overcome this big problem?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are installed on OS level.

Open captions will see all fonts installed.

If you want to use a condensed variant it needs to be installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the problem is deeper of course. In my Premiere CC this is not working that way with every font family. I can sellect all installed fonts but Premiere CC will show me only default font in most cases.

I found only few informations online(without solutions) here for instance:

Font Family: selects one of the font families available on your system (Note: not every font is supported; if it’s unsupported, Premiere will use a default font).

Deep Dive: Working with Open Captions (Subtitles) | Adobe Blog

What is more weird is that the Type tool works perfectly with all installed fonts. But It is much more diffucult to create subtitles with Type tool and that is the reason why I am trying to find solution in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font are we talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that only basic system fonts like Arial works thru all variants. But for instance DejaVu Sans does not work, Surprisingly Calibri(system font) does not work either or fonts which I have installed by myself for instance Helvetica. Its frustrating that only few system fonts really works when you want to create beautiful subtitles for your clients video. Arial is not really my favourite.

Below you can see that even certain system fonts does not work as italic or bold version at all:

002.jpg0001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With an "edge" set (you have it set to 2), you do not get any variations. If you have italics and set an edge, you lose italics, etc. It is just a limitation that can be a big problem.

Open Captions, often intended for burning in, are very different from the origin of the PR captioning tool in closed captions, where the format makes subtle font differences irrelevant.

Upvote changing this here:

Problem with italic font with stroke line – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan Jones. This is also problem I agree. But it is not the main core of my problem or maybe its a partial problem. Without edge and italics, my problem with fonts is still there. Below comparassion between Open Captions and Type Tool. Type tool works correctly.

003.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are other complications. I find that some variations of a font can be selected and others cannot. (Once selected, the font changes back to "regular," and is deselected.) If it can be selected, I see the correct appearance in the program monitor.

You can select the variation, but the correct appearance does not appear in the monitor. Can you tell if the correct appearance is in the tiny thumbnail in the caption panel? Make the size much larger to see. (That can indicate a different problem.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is massively annoying. I have had nothing but issue after issue recently can't believe something so simple is throwing up problems yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. All my font variants are there but when I select a specific one they don't change in the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious as part of tracking this. What font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
i have the same problem with a font of my client in Premiere Pro 2019, 2020 iin Subtitles. 
I can select it but its not showing the true font. 
The regular Typetool have no problem. Only the subtitles. 
Can somebody help?? Why is the font not supported?

I have a PC. This problem is only on a PC.
On a Mac there is no problem.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem - only with some fonts - on a PC. It's killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

orhanb and MarchWhere,

What fonts are not working for you?

I'm trying to improve our information for filing a bug report. We have some examples, but more would help.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, 
thank you for the feedback.
Its a own font from our client xy. (.otf and .ttf, both same problem)

best regards
orhanb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll call it "custom" or "proprietary"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client's font is Sharp Sans No2. This works fine on every other program, including Premiere Pro text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to still be persistant. None of the different weights of Helvetica Neue are recognized, they simply don't work. Anything to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue. I'm needing to use Gotham font and it is not displaying in captions, while working fine using Type tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Gotham as well.

All of them works, EXCEPT Gotham Black. It just turns into a thin like version of the font (book or similar)

I've tried getting Black to work both within the Gotham family, and as a standalone Gotham Black font file. But no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having an issue with this.
I want to use Roboto Slab for my captions but I only have options for regular Roboto despite me using Roboto slab for other tiles in the same project!

Why can't adobe fix all these bugs, there's hundreds of things like this that just don't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am also having the same issue. I want to use Calibre Medium and Bold on open caption but it only shows default font. I tried reinstalling Pr but no luck.  

Is there still no fix for this? I use Premiere Pro CC 2018. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is still still not fixed when the first comment in this thread is from March 2019?? It's December 2020 now and STILL can't use many fonts that are installed on my PC. As everyone else has mentioned, they work fine in the text box but not as captions. Nocturne Serif is the particular font I'd like to use in case you'd like to know. Come on Adobe, we're paying you for software which is clearly faulty and not working as described, this is just so slack, please sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The public Beta has a new caption workflow that is using the essential graphics engine. I believe this will solve many caption problems, including the font-not-available problems, and add new features. But because of those changes, I don't expect any changes in the current caption system. Note that the Beta captions are not ready for primetime; basic functions are not yet available.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines