• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map ID Madness

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2006 Jul 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, I must say that I hate Robo X5's "Edit Map IDs" dialog box. It's way too small. If I could make it full screen at least, it might help. But that's not my main problem here.

I use FrameMaker 7 to write content, and then import this content into Robo X5 HTML in order to create a chm help file. We need map id's for the programmers, so I use the "Edit Map IDs" (clumsily) to match up the map id's with the topics. I reuse the same .h file every time. So at least the numbers get preserved there. BUT is there a way like a "topic alias marker " or something that I can use in Framemaker so I don't have to map the numbers to the topics in Robo? It's very tedious, especially with the almost unusable Edit Map IDs box in Robo.

Thanks

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 13, 2006 Jul 13, 2006
Mark,

I don't know if this will be of much help but back in version 7 of RH, we found the Edit Map IDs dialog to be frustrating (and erroneously documented as well) so we rolled up our sleeves and found out how it all worked. Ever since, we have been creating all of our context sensitive help in WordPad. The .hh and .ali files are text files so it is possible to sort and drag and drop topic file names, map IDs, and map numbers in any kind of text editor you please completely bypassing the RH di...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2006 Jul 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I don't know if this will be of much help but back in version 7 of RH, we found the Edit Map IDs dialog to be frustrating (and erroneously documented as well) so we rolled up our sleeves and found out how it all worked. Ever since, we have been creating all of our context sensitive help in WordPad. The .hh and .ali files are text files so it is possible to sort and drag and drop topic file names, map IDs, and map numbers in any kind of text editor you please completely bypassing the RH dialog.
I would recommend opening up the .h and .ali files with Notepad, checking out the structure, and figuring out what will work for you.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2006 Jul 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks John

That will save me a lot of work. I can just reuse previous .h and .ali files, and simply manually edit them from now on. Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp