• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resources used by Premiere/Media Encoder

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, i have a question about how Premiere Pro CC 2018 uses the resources of my computer.

This is the configuration of my pc:

CPU: i7-7700k 4.20 GHz

RAM: 32Gb DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti , 11Gb

Premiere is configured to use until 26Gb of RAM (ram.JPG - Google Drive ) and in the project settings it's set "CUDA" for rendering (project.JPG - Google Drive ).

I can try to explain my typical workflow: i have a single video where there are multiple webcam recordings, in my timeline i duplicate this video as many times as there are webcams, then i add the clipping filter to isolate every webcam and create a scene with some webcam more big than other (by scale them), apart from this i add a background image, some titles, a logo and sometimes the scene change with a simple transitions. Everything has a duration of about 1 hour.

The settings that i used for export the project: export.JPG - Google Drive

The problem it's that when i start the export process, using Media Encoder CC 2018 (also set to use CUDA), the used resources they are not what I would expect (resource.JPG - Google Drive ). The integrated graphic card it's used plus than 90%, instead the dedicated graphic card it's used less than 20%, the CPU and the RAM used are more or less at 50%.

Why the software don't use the dedicated graphic card and also more CPU and RAM to reduce the export time?

What i tried to do it's to "force" the software to use the dedicated graphic card deactivating the integrated card from Device Management of Windows, but after doing that, Premiere Pro crashes at launch. This is the error log report: error-log.txt - Google Drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have four fast cores with a relatively small buffer and 8 GB of RAM per core. I don't know how well your mobo can move image data to/from that CPU core.

Your webcam recordings ... probably long-GOP, I'm expecting they put a huge read/write demand on your system, though you don't include what the media is, and what disc/connection is used for that in your computer.

Next, on-board graphics and dedicated GPUs are not the same thing. On-boards are designed to off-load some CPU workloads as a helper which dedicated GPUs do not. So they don't work exactly the same within the system.

Last, the work you list doesn't seem to involve much if anything from the GPU Accelerated Effects List, so that 1080 is not used heavily. The onboard graphics gets more use on account of its absorbing some CPU workload.

I'm wondering about your media and your disc setup.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, thank you for the help.

Typically the project file and the footage file are saved in my desktop, so in a Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO connected in the M2 port of the motherboard (Asus Prime B250 Plus).

Instead the background image (.psd), the logo file (.psd) and the intro (.aep) are stored in a 500Gb HDD (SATA).

Here one example of my typical footage: footage.mp4 - Google Drive

And here the result of the edit with some typical transitions: edit.mp4 - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tip for posting screenshots on forum:

screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using a standard SSD for OS/programs is entirely satisfactory, and saving the m.2 drive for project files, cache & previews, with a third internal SSD for media works well.

Of course,  not all mobos move data wisely. Depending on what shares what lanes, there can be issues there also.

Which is why places like Safeharbor Computing and Puget Systems test so many but use so few.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem it's that when i start the export process...the used resources they are not what I would expect

I believe your expectations are in error.  PP does what it does with the resources available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines