• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 72 - Stay cool!

Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Passing these cooling towers, which are a common sight, at power stations and industrial sites, I wondered what our Photoshop team would make of them. So for this weekend's challenge, can you find a new use for the towers?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW72Cool.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought  was of those African women who have rings that make their necks impossibly long, but when looked for examples  it was all way too disturbing.   There are some funny cultural practices in this world. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reading up on that, it doesn't actually stretch the neck according to Wikipedia "The weight of the brass pushes the collar bone down and compresses the rib cage" still a very weird practice

Kayan people (Myanmar) - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

My first thought  was of those African women who have rings that make their necks impossibly long, but when looked for examples  it was all way too disturbing.   There are some funny cultural practices in this world. 😞

Trevor, your story reminded me of when I was 21 and backpacking in the Serengeti Plains. One night the Masaii walked into our camp and a few of the children had gathered around me. I was mesmerized by the way they decorated their bodies and their hair, but we were told ahead of time not to touch and to be respectful. I was especially intrigued with the mud in their hair. Then I took out the clip that was holding my long hair off my neck and let it fall down my back and their eyes got big as they gasped in astonishment and they ran to me and reached out to touch and stroke something they had never seen before.

I realized then that in their world, I was the one who was odd and unusual and different.

Ged is right about the rings. They are a bad idea. People lose their neck muscles and if the rings come off, they suffocate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes think hanging around on these forums is a bit of a funny cultural practice Trevor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, I have recently taken to watching construction channels on YouTube.  It's definitely a 'bloke'  thing, but it is fascinating from  an engineering point of view, and quite therapeutic.

The the two I follow are

letsdig18 - YouTube

Andrew Camarata - YouTube

It also teaches me about the relative climates of different parts of America.  By heck it's a cold place to live outside of Florida and California.   Andrew lives in Saugerties in New York State where it seems to be covered in snow most of the year, And Chris from Letsdig lives in NC where it never stops raining.   It does at least make me  feel pleased to be living where I am, where it only rains at night, and we usually win the most sunshine hours in NZ. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW72Coolheat.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW72Cool 1200 JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week072.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

extreme global warming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW72Cool_fl.jpg
Flowers image credit
http://www.pngpix.com/download/flower-bouquet-png-transparent-image-2
Licence: Free for personal, educational and non-commercial use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea if this is going to work, because I can't put the image directly on this page.  It's the Facebook 3D thing and I saw it on a Colin Smith PhotoshopCAFE video today.   I am, way to  old to know how Facebook works,  and  while it was easy enough to create, it took me a while to work out how to get a link that would go directly to the image.  

https://www.facebook.com/trevor.dennis.12/posts/10215549797712815

This is Colin's video:  I  think he must have a new comb, because that's the tidiest I have ever seen his hair.  I mentioned his 'flyaway'  hair to him a while back, and he laughed and laughed.  Dave, at the end of the video he asks for comments from people who do 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. Looks cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I am, way to  old to know how Facebook works,  and  while it was easy enough to create, it took me a while to work out how to get a link that would go directly to the image.  

besides making the iframe plugin to view it, Facebook has nothing to do with it... a simple 3d browser code that can also be made in Adobe Dimension if you like the idea example

Screenshot (2562).png

Screenshot (2563).png

Screenshot (2564).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graham, your Dimension graphic is cool, but it's all about displaying the end result.  FB gives you the code to 'embed' the 3D image,  but that's no good to us with Jive.  If you know of similar techniques that output to GIF or video so it worked with the forum upload widgets, then that would be awesome.

OT:  I should be on the last couple of days before I can swap out this blooming keyboard, thank goodness.  The double spaces and sometimes double other letters, is driving me crazy.  I found a fix for it on the Logitech forums...  get another keyboard. 

Dean, cool  but  spooky.  If I have bad dreams tonight,  it's on you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Hope you slept well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dean+Utian  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Hope you slept well

My dreams are apparently like being given Ketamine.    This pearl of wisdom comes from a UK hospital reality program called '24 Hours in A&E',  in which one of the doctors made what has been one  of the most disturbing statements I've ever heard.  They are about to perform some incredibly painful procedure like straightening a broken leg, so  they give the poor  patient  a  dose of Ketamine.  The doctor says 'He'll scream, but don't worry because he won't remember it'.   Now that suggests to me that Ketamine does not actually mask pain, but because you'll have forgotten  it  happened when the Ketamine wears off, it doesn't matter.  How the heck is that OK?

On the plus side, the patients become very entertaining while under the influence, saying stuff that even Ged would find bizarre.  

So there you have it. I probably had horrific dreams about green aliens all night long, and the neighbours were kept awake by the screams  coming from my house, but when  I woke up this morning  I have no idea why I am under the bed  when I am sure I started the night on top of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had  a few  cooling towers as glasses uploads, so this is a variation on a theme.

BTW I had  one of those WTH didn't I think of that before moments when transforming the reflections.    Instead of struggling with FT > Warp and dragging handles, just use the Warp options and use Arch.  You still need  to  nudge the corners with Liquify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone had to do this....

SFTW72Trump.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Joan, with Osiris the Egyptian god of the afterlife, I'm not sure where that door might lead...!

Jacob - That's better . Something to drink out of

Dean - I like the Alien. Great use of the towers.

Semaphoric - The stripes and checks look good.  I've been trying to work out if the striped and checked flags have a meaning but I'm struggling so far. I've checked maritime flags , racing flags but I feel I'm missing something?

Trevor - that's a great job on the bottle and the wording on it, except that you've moved Lindisfarne to Scotland again.  Actually if it is from Lindisfrane it should contain mead which is brewed on the island and does taste very nice. According to the website of the winery "Mead has for centuries been renowned as an 'aphrodisiac' and the word Honeymoon is derived from the ancient Norwegian custom of having newly-weds drink mead for a whole moon (month) in order to increase their fertility and therefore their chances of a happy and fulfilled marriage..."   Dag has never mentioned that one !

Keep them coming in. The SFTW "weekend" lasts until Thursday.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I almost sense its rotation, so the striped tower may be a barber shop contained in its own sign; with Osiris being round it may lead to more than a close shave to enter the door.

And the checkered one behind it may simply (and literally) signal that it is not the one to enter (no/negative).

Concerning a certain bottle, we all saw the Saltire flying over the castle last week, so maybe it is time to check up on Lindisfarne (in at least one sense). And it may be difficult to get things back to what they were: the Saltire may also signal a certain stubbornness (my vessel is stopped and making no way through the water).

By the way, I almost had the usual mouse (at a suitable size, even considering enlarging the door) sat on the doorstep, which might inevitably bring in a cat or two lurking behind or looking over the towers. But I restrained myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

That's better . Something to drink out of

Indeed, but have you seen the NZ commercial with the three meerkats and a full barrel (to start with) but no glasses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, no heavy symbolism but the influence are:

I always thought cooling towers looked a little drab, maybe decorate them a bit? Don't know if this is a thing in Europe, but the Atlantic coast of North America has many lighthouses with very distinctive paint jobs, the most well-known being the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse:

capehatteras_premove_cg.jpg

which was moved further inland recently, to protect it from the encroaching sea.

After going for more of a barber pole treatment on the one (I quickly abandoned the idea of an animation ) I thought the other needed something as well. There's a harbor on Lake Michigan near my home that has red and green pylons at the entrance (for port and starboard, so I went with green. The word "Pylon" brought tho mind the checkered pylons used in airplane racing:

0211_redbull_chambliss_16x9.jpg?mw=1200&mh=675&as=1&hash=87124A8A294E3FB30FB677261B95CC3985CD8E0A

Incidentally, a Google search for "Lighthouse Paint Jobs" yielded employment opportunities for steeplejacks .

Oh, and I'll have a shot of Trevor's, with some of Jacob's as a chaser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

the most well-known being the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse: ... which was moved further inland recently, to protect it from the encroaching sea.

John,

I remember having fun climbing the 257 steps of the Hatteras Lighthouse with my husband just before that move inland twenty years ago in 1999. Was your picture taken from an airplane?

Moving the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

I thought the green and white checks were a NASCAR flag!

https://www.nascarreference.com/file/flags.php

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines