• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Suite vs. InDesign CS vs. Illustrator CS bundled fonts

Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2003 Oct 19, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a complicated issue, which I hope can be clarified by this summary.

With InDesign CS by itself, there are 66 fonts, many of which are new for the CS version. Apparently these are included with the educational version as well. This includes fonts from the Adobe Jenson Pro, Lithos Pro, Myriad Pro and Trajan Pro families. See here for a complete list:

Thomas Phinney, "InDesign CS bundled OpenType fonts" #, 18 Oct 2003 12:26 am">Thomas Phinney "InDesign CS bundled OpenType fonts" 10/18/03

With Illustrator CS by itself, there are 102 fonts, about 31 of which do not overlap with the fonts bundled with InDesign CS. This includes fonts from the Chaparral Pro and Charlemagne Std families. See here for a complete list:

Thomas Phinney "Illustrator CS bundled OpenType fonts" 10/18/03

The other CS apps do not individually add meaningfully to the bundled font count.

However, with the Creative Suite as a package, there are up to 211 fonts: the 138 fonts included with the individual apps; the Warnock Pro Opticals set (32 fonts); plus if you register online in the US and Canada, you can download the Brioso Pro Opticals fonts (42 fonts). Note that Brioso is one of several choices you have of registration incentives, and you need to be sure to look for and follow the link! You can get it later from your main store registration page if you miss it the first time, though.

The standard edition and premium edition of the suite have the same font bundle.

Details on the full bundle are here:
Thomas Phinney, "211 OpenType fonts available with Creative Suite" #28, 18 Oct 2003 11:07 am">Thomas Phinney "211 OpenType fonts bundled with Creative Suite" 10/18/03 11:07am

Regards,

T

Thomas W. Phinney
Fonts Program Manager
Adobe Systems

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to keep picking at this carcass, but was there ever a clarification about Brioso Pro and the educational version of the CS suite?

(Given the existence of Type Classics for Learning, I *think* Brioso Pro is the only new one to pick up for educational discount folks like myself.)

Victor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, the registration incentive applies to both regular retail and educational purchases. But I am checking to be sure.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2003 Oct 21, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your efforts are appreciated, Thomas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2003 Nov 03, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

42 Brioso opticals? I'm going to shoot myself. I registered CS Premium online, didn't read the copy about the gifts closely enough. Having previously purchased the complete Brioso Pro package plus Poster Light, I thought I was eschewing redundancy by electing the magazine! Oh for the Opticals! And I think Brioso, both Roman and Italic, is Robert Slimbach's masterpiece. It preexisted in the ether somewhere as the Platonic idea of a certain Renaissance type-form, somehow already familiar when given digital substance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 03, 2003 Nov 03, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pam. Did you shoot yourself yet? I hope not. Read the thread about 212 Open Type fonts first ... at least the last 10 messages ... it is a long thread. Someone else order the mag, and reveals how to get the fonts as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2003 Nov 04, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don, Thank you very much indeed for that tip. I'm delighted. Did not shoot myself--cats objected, didn't want to be put to the trouble of interviewing for another caterer.
Again, Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On one hand, I went there just for the free fonts. After reviewing the choices, that was still my first choice.

Adobe says "choose one." All I can say is let your conscience be your guide.

Neil
Forum Host

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Adobe says "choose one."

Correct. But they didn't say how many times.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Neil, you have the right of it. For curiosity's sake, does the gift copy stipulate the complete opticals? I suppose I just didn't read closely enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pam,

According to Thomas, it's Brioso Pro Opticals fonts (42 fonts).

That's a lot of type to drop on the composing room floor!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it's the whole set, including also the two "Poster" fonts.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2003 Nov 05, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 42 in all and it does include the poster fonts.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2003 Nov 06, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a rough table I put together that helps compare what fonts you get with each:

http://graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/fonts/fonts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice reference. You might want to delete the ".otf" extensions in the middle column (or add them to the other two columns) just for consistency.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

Thanks for the "cheat sheet"!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2003 Nov 07, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2003 Nov 14, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some much needed maintenance on my Web site the other night and lost the font list. It's now back up again.

Here is the link again: http://www.graphicspalmbeach.com/forum/fonts/fonts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2003 Nov 15, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Phinney, have you been able to determine yet if the educational version also has the opportunity to get the Brioso fonts upon registration? Thanks for all your informative input on this & other messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2003 Dec 30, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But where are these fonts? I installed everything on the CS disks, including the extras. I even loaded up the installer again and didn't see any new options. I have some of them, but I don't have others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2004 Jan 01, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They get installed to the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Fonts directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2004 Jan 01, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy listed the path for Windows.

Or, on the Macintosh the fonts get installed to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2004 Apr 05, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac version of Adobe Creative Suite only contains the Warnock Pro font set. Having been informed by Adobe (and Apple) that Postscript Type 1 fonts were no longer supported in Panther, I was hoping that the CS fonts would get me started replacing some old favorites. But they are not there. The "Classroom in a Book" series suggests doing a custom install to install just the fonts but that is not an option, at least with the CS installer. Perhaps it is with the individual programs.

Is there a way for Mac users to get some or all of these bundled fonts without buying them individually from Adobe?

Norris Siert, first time purchaser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2004 Apr 05, 2004

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, both Adobe applications and MacOS X 10.3 (i.e., "Panther") fully support Type 1 fonts. We would be very interested in knowing which "experts" at Adobe and/or Apple told you otherwise. Or perhaps you misunderstood them?

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines