• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew fonts?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2007 Jun 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in N. America trying to purchase a Hebrew font for use in creating some bilingual documentation for a product my company will sell. We are trying, if possible, to use a Hebrew typeface that would be considered "compatible" with Frutiger. Problem is, I am not finding any Hebrew fonts at all on Adobe's website as is presented to me in N. America. Does Adobe have any Hebrew fonts? How can I access and purchase them?
TOPICS
How to , Purchase

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 132 Replies 132

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Hebrew font from Adobe is Adobe Hebrew that is packaged with Acrobat and Reader. It is more compatible with Minion (not minyan 🙂 ) than with a san serif such as Frutiger.

If you license the "ME" version of InDesign ( not available directly from Adobe, but via Winsoft), you also get a bundle of OpenType fonts supporting Hebrew.

Ironically, a number of the TrueType fonts that come with Windows, including Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, and Microsoft Sans include Hebrew characters in their support of Unicode. (The Macintosh versions of these fonts do not support Hebrew!) If you enable Hebrew support in Windows, some other fonts are also made available such as David.

There are companies, such as FontWorld, that do offer extensive collections of Hebrew fonts or fonts with Hebrew characters.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find hebrew fonts in many Israeli site just search in hebrew. "גופן בעברית".

By the way check out this site for shabbat times in Israeli cities:

http://shabbat-times.co.il the site is in hebrew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Informational. I  am having trouble typing right to left in Illustrator, I have to input everything backwards. Is there any way that you can help me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer versions of the Creative Suite/Creative Cloud applications have a Hebrew version as well as a version with English UI but also Hebrew language support!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more compatible with Minion (not minyan 🙂

Seeing this eleven years later, but it's never too late to applaud a good pun! Alas, I don't have nine others here to applaud with me... ;^D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we're only 8 short!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minion not minyan 🙂 !! ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

Thanks for the very detailed answer. That helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try these links:

http://www.fontbit.co.il/
http://www.masterfont.co.il/

Ariel

PS Good one, Dov. Maybe tukka you should get Adobe to make a Hebrew version
of Minion and call it Minyan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2007 Sep 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MORE ON HEBREW FONTS
I use a PC, MS Word, Davkawriter, and QuarkXpress.
For Hebrew, I find it convenient to compose in Davkawriter and then copy to my Word document if the Hebrew goes into a mainly English document.
Word will read some of the fonts but not all - e.g., it does fine with AdiiG and with Guttman Calligraphic (I assume I got these with Davka).
THE PROBLEM:
I can't read the material into QuarkXpress. When I use "get text," which is the command to import a file, I get all ????.
The same thing happens when I try to copy and paste.
Quark has a facility to change the font, but these Hebrew fonts come up as ??? as well.
Can someone suggest how to get Hebrew fonts into Quark (or perhaps some other page layout program?)
Thanks,
Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lawrence,

Due to limited language capabilities in QuarkXPress, could it be that you really need Passport to read the font?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can use InDesign -- although I'm not sure if you need to use InDesign ME... (Middle Eastern). And InDesign gives tighter integration with the rest of the Adobe suite.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> although I'm not sure if you need to use InDesign ME

Right to left language require ME. You can read the font in the standard
versions but you can't type RTL.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2007 Sep 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a NON-Hebrew font which exactly fit in its sizes to the following Hebrew font:
"-hebrew-fixed-bold-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso8859-8"
Is there a site where can I find or ask for conversions of fonts from Hebrew to English?
Thanks,
Lily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lily,
>Is there a site where can I find or ask for conversions of fonts from Hebrew to English?

Can we assume that you mean converting it for LTR typesetting rather than actual language translation?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO TO NOTE:

-Acquiring the Hebrew fonts for typesetting multiple language document may not be enough. If you require right-to-left (Hebrew) text flow (and perhaps Hebrew vowel support), then you will also require Adobe InDesign CS3-ME software, as English products do NOT support right-to-left text flow and other Middle Eastern typographic features.

-See: http://www.fontworld.com -for information on Adobe ME software. Use Coupon Code "Adobe Forum" for $50 OFF posted prices.

-You can prepare Hebrew (and other language text) within Adobe InDesign CS3-ME or import text from a word processor such as Microsoft WORD for Windows XP. To avoid headaches now and in future, try using only fonts with UNICODE support, most ideally in OpenType Font format.

-Hebrew Fonts can be made for use with right-to-left programs, such as Adobe InDesign CS3-ME;

OR

-use Hebrew Fonts can be made in non Unicode encoding in a LEFT-to-RIGHT text flowing method. The Left-to-Right non Unicode format would allow you to typeset Hebrew within English programs...

HOWEVER, you would need to enter text backwards, and would NOT have correct line-breaking (this would have to be manually handled), plus lack vowel support.

For anything of more than a line or two of text, the more ideal solution would be to use industry-standard Adobe InDesign CS3-ME with correct right-to-left text flow and correct line breaking and with added typographic features and with Hebrew vowel support, etc...

The trouble using non conventional methods such as preparing text in non Unicode word processor + copy/pasting to Quark or whatever English program... is down the road you may not be able to use this material when you decide to use the better InDesign-ME approach.

The ideal long term solution is InDesign CS3-ME -either preparing text directly within this program or preparing language texts with Microsoft Word for Windows XP. This is the solution educational, commercial and government users are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2007 Sep 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typeset Hebrew and other languages such as English together professionally.

I use MicroSoft Word on a MS Windows platform to enter the text. Since the text is in Unicode encoding it transfers flawlessly to Adone InDesign ME CS2/CS3 on either MS Windows or Apple Macintosh platforms.

I use InDesign ME on an Apple Macintosh platform. I have custom made Hebrew (Unicode compatible) advanced OpenType fonts with Biblical Hebrew support (taamei mikra).

I bought from FontWorld at www.fontworld.com and their daughter company GoHebrew for these Hebrew products. I was very satisfied with their patience in finding the lowest cost solution before I purchased, and their excellent technical support after the purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use for high end professional typesetting and publishing Adobe InDesign ME CS2/CS3 with custom-made Hebrew advanced OpenType fonts with Biblical Hebrew support. I purchased from FontWorld who patiently reviewed all the ingrediants I would need at the lowest cost and refered meto another "daughter" company GoHebrew to supply me with everything I needed. Afterwards, FontWorld provided and continues to provide excellent technical support.

see www.fontworld.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2007 Dec 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im impressed that you have got teamey mikra to work correctly in InDesign. I would love to see a sample to critique. Could you post a pdf on the web somewhere? Im sure others would like to see it too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to the parties at gohebrew.com to post a sample of an Adobe InDesign ME CS2/3 sample page.

As I understood it, it will appear as a bottom called "sample page". This will then go to a PDF to view, or enable you to download that PDF.

They said it would take a few days to appear. So, be patient.

www.gohebrew.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sample was posted at www.gohebrew.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had a look at the sample page and found that while the font will be OK for typesetting (as in: visual presentation) the way it is put onto the page does not very well support its textual representation (at least with regard to the masoretic punctuation) - the character sequence is somehow mixed up, and searching for strings in Hebrew may fail in at least a number of cases. I have no idea whether that's due to the font or due the way the page was created.

An easy way to find out what I mean is to save the PDF as let's say HTML, or to just select all the text and copy it, then paste it into a text editor supporting Unicode.

Olaf Drümmer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence of characters is for Hebrew. Most text editors are only for left to right languages such as English, but not for Hebrew which is right to left.

The sample was created in Adobe InDesign ME (Middle East), a special version which supports both left-to-right and right-to-left languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines