Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Compile Error in Hidden Module: Distmon"

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2007 Jan 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any work around to this error message.

It shows up during the start up of Excel 2003 after the install of Acrobat standard 8.

Thanks
TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2007 Jan 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove all instances of the PDFMaker.dot and PDFMaker.xla files from \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office version/Startup folder and reinstall PDFMaker using the Help > Detect and Repair menu option in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2007 Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me.

The first part, remove the PDFMaker.* files, was on the MS support site. My Office Startup Folder didn't contain either of those files to begin with.

I did the Repair option under the help menu but, that wasn't the cure.

I wonder if it had something to do with my uninstall of v7 before my install of v8?

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall v8.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2007 Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reinstall didn't stop the error.

Guess I have a goblin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2007 Feb 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem after installing Adobe pro. 8. Are there any solutions out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, apparently Adobe isn't talking on this at all..... I have three computers with the same issue, I am about two steps from stopping all updates to Adobe and using some other form of similar software. I can get fine PDFCreators from several sites around the world, and they all work fine. Acrobat 8 Pro cost us some money, and has some great features, but if we can't get this resolved, we will downgrade and begin looking elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember when you search for the files to enable the search tool to show hidden and system files or you may not find what you are looking for... fix worked for me just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2007 Mar 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem. I completely un-installed the PDFmaker addin and I am still getting the same error message. If anyone ever finds a solution to this, please post in the thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2007 Apr 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error (..Compile error.. DISTMON) when launching XL. I'm running Office 2007 and recently upgraded Acrobat 6.0 to 8.0, which I believe caused the error.

I then did two things:

First, under the control panel, Add/Remove Programs, I removed "acrobat 6.0 upgrade" which did not seem to be removed automatically by the 8.0 installer.

Then, I found the "pdfmaker.xla" file in C:/program files/microsoft office/office11/xlstart and deleted it (also deleted one in ../recent but I don't know if it matters. (I may have an error in my recollection here, it might have been in the folder OFFICE12 instead of OFFICE11 but neither any longer has an .XLA file in it (they are completely empty).)

Then, I reinstalled the 8.0 DVD and selected "INSTALL" and "REPAIR". I then waited patiently about 15 minutes for the install and...

Voila.. it worked and removed the error. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2007 Apr 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and could not find the PDFMaker.xla until I checked the search box under advanced to look for hidden files and folders as B. Casey noted above. I found two of the files under documents and settings. After I deleted them the problem with XL went away. I then did detect and repair and it is still ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2007 Apr 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe first for support... Actually I opened a web case first with the Customer Service section and they replied and said to contact Tesh Support. I opened a web case with Tech Support and they replied and said to contact Customer Service so that's when I called.

Long story short the tech dept did not have the answer and after an hour of troublshooting he said it was an issue with MS. I didn't buy that answer.

The above worked and it seems to be an Adobe issue not MS - maybe the Adobe tech team should have someone checking the forums so they can update their knowledge tree.

dph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also upgraded to Adobe Acrobat 8 over Microsoft Office 2007. I just removed the file:Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12\XLSTART and that completely resolved the problem - no need for any other action.
I remember this happening a few years ago upgrading to Acrobat 5? would think Adobe would have their act together by now and done some decent testing before release so their tech support people were prepared for the inevitable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem today. Not having any luck though trying the suggestions here. I first did a search for the two files PDFMaker.dot and PDFMaker.xla They do not exist, have hidden files to show.

I've tried both Adobe 8.0 and Office XP repair. That didn't make any difference. Uninstalled then reinstalled 8.0. No difference.

The odd thing is it's only doing this with one profile on the computer. Tried all of these with the different profiles, still didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2007 May 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed Nod-e's suggestion. My XLStart folder was empty (didn't contain any pdfmaker files). I just renamed it to _XLStart and problem disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, on next boot the same error message appeared. I tried deleting the empty XLStart folder (instead of renaming), but it didn't help.
Sorry for any false hope. I did send an email to Adobe Tech Support, but I'm not very hopeful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY! I followed Robert Caspe's instructions (with the following exceptions) and it worked. THANKS, my brain won't explode now!

1. Didn't remove "acrobat 6 upgrade" (don't even know if it's there)
2. Deleted PDFMaker.dot and PDFMaker.xla files from both OFFICE11 and XLStart folders
3. Didn't reinstall 8.0, just opened it and went to Help/Repair Adobe Reader Installation. It took about 45 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2007 May 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had a similar problem, but found that my pdfmaker.dot and pdfmaker.xla files were not in the program files tree. Instead they resided in the documents and settings tree, with one instance in every user account on the computer.

Removing them all and performing the repair option as above cured the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2007 Jun 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted these two files and it worked:<br /><br />C:Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PDFMaker.xla<br /><br />C:Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\PDFMaker.xla.LNK<br /><br />--jsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2007 Jun 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Acrobat 8 from Ac 6 and started getting "compile error...distmon" everytime I launched or closed Excel(MS Office 2003). Google pointers to MS, Symantec, and Adobe support pages were useless. Then I landed on this page, did a search on C: for pdfmaker.xla, found 2 copies, and deleted both. Error message is now gone and the convert xls file to pdf button in Excel still works. No need to reinstall or repair Adobe 8. Thanks everyone for your posts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2007 Jul 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 8.0\pdfmaker\office\PDFMExcel.dll and c:\documents and settings\user\application data\microsoft\office\recent then restarted Excel and it ran through a self installer and worked fine with no error. I closed it and reopened to make sure it was fixed and there was no further error. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2007 Aug 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those unsuccessful with the above solutions, pls try to locate and delete the following files:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\pdfmaker.xla, and/or
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\pdfmaker.dot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2007 Aug 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction - the correct passes are as follows:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\pdfmaker.xla, and/or
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\pdfmaker.dot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2007 Sep 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the fixes without success until I realised that there were two instances of the file pdfmaker.xla
1. under C:\Program Files\etc\
2. under C:\Documents and Settings\...\Excel\etc\
as hinted in the above posts. I deleted both and the hash of distmon has been settled once and for all.
The main question is: "Why do I find this error so annoying and spend stupid time trying to fix it?" Zeigarnik?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2007 Oct 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dumb question: if I remove those pdfmaker files, will I still be able to render pdfs from Office programs??? thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2007 Nov 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted
\\machine\c$\Documents and Settings\kristo marinoff\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\pdfmaker.xla.lnk and
\\kmachine\c$\Documents and Settings\kristo marinoff\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\pdfmaker.xla

... just as jhooda mentioned, and voila!

Also removed the acrobat 6 update but just to keep the workstation clean.
Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines