Thanks, NLambert. Deleting the PDFMaker files successfully eliminated the errors when launching/exiting Excel.
However, PDFX1aSet_PSR_ gravure still hangs on installation of Ac Pro 6.0. (I did uninstall Reader 8.1.2, reboot, then tried to install Ac Pro, no go. Then re-installed Reader, repaired, and tried to install Ac Pro, no go.) I understand that the two can conflict, but they co-existed before. :-) My priority is to get Ac Pro installed; I would give up Reader.
I wonder if I could download and install PDFX1aSet_PSR_ gravure separately, but I don't see it online. I've also cleaned the registry with the TuneUp utility. Finally, in answer to your question, I'm not on a network.
More ideas? Thanks.
Cheerse fols. I just deleted the xla file and I'm up and running agqain without the headache of wanting to kill people everytime I start up office. Woo Hoo
I too am cursed with the "Compile error in hidden module:AutoExec"
I am also cursed with Vista. I only have the problem in Word (Office XP) and it started after an attempt to upgrade to Acrobat 8.
All my ....\Startup files are empty (and I renamed them for good measure). I can find no PDFMaker.dot anywhere to obliterate. When I go to "Templates and Addins" it says that PDFMaker.dot is currently loaded. I can uncheck it as many times as I like but it returns when I open Word again later.
If I set the Macro security to High the error goes away but instead I am badgered twice upon opening and on closing that "Macros have been disabled". If I get nostalgic for the old "Compile error..." message I just set the Macro security to low. The main "Security Warning" box says that.....\Office10\Startup\PDFMaker.dot contains macros by Adobe Sun Systems. But how can it when it Doesn't exist. (I am looking at hidden file also)
Ok...so maybe it does exist. I have just discovered Vista advanced search. I found the culprit. Interestingly the paths described in the macros "Security Warning" box and also the Word "Templates and Addins" box bore little similarity with that revealed through Advanced Search. Weeks of my life gone. Thanks for the information above.
Hi all, Unfortunately, I haven't tracked down this gremlin yet (msg #40, 8:32pm Apr 8, 08 PST). If you have any ideas, send them this way!
Guys<br />no worries<br />delete this file<br />C:Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PDFMaker.xla <br /><br />or delete the folder <br /><br />C:Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART<br /><br />this solves all your worries
Open notepad and copy the following two lines of code to it.
del /s pdfmaker*
Save the document as fix.bat (be sure to change the "save as type" to "all files".
Double-click this file to run your new batch file.
Let it run (it may take awhile depending on the number of files you have on your c: drive).
Your problems should be gone.
Disclaimer: Deleting files from the command line over an entire partition can be dangerous; please make sure you know what you are doing before you begin this process.
I too have had problem with this issue. If you do a Alt-F11 after Excel (or any Office program) loads, you get to the VBA editor part and you can see the Projects, Modules, and any special macros that have been added by others or software. It is from here, that the "module errors" generate.
To resolve my problem: (1) I removed the old Office Professional 2003 software suite using Programs Add/Remove under Control Panel. (2) I did a search (with SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned on) for any PDFMaker files on system. Remove all of them. (3) Now remove the stupid Adobe Professional 8.xx. (4) Restart system and re-install your Adobe Professional and keep your fingers crossed. Worked for me.
Hi, just removed the file:Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12\XLSTART and that completely resolved the problem - no need for any other action.
I upgraded from Acrobat 6 to Acrobat 8 and immediately begain getting the "distmon" error every time I started Excel. I tried every single suggestion in this posting and every other relevant website with no success. Some of them I tried twice. The only fix was:
1) uninstall Acrobat 8 (required reboot)
2) reinstall Acrobat 6.
3) uninstall Acrobat 6 (required reboot). After reboot the "distmon" error in Excel was gone.
4) reinstall Acrobat 8 (required reboot)
In my case, I looked everywhere for pdfmaker files - nada. Turns out my AppData folder was redirected in Group Policy to a folder on the file server. I then looked in the redirected folder on the server " \AppData\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart\ " and there it was, pdfmaker.xla... nasty filthy little maggot.
I deleted it - problem solved.