• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlighting text in PDF document

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2006 Mar 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a surgeon and subscribe to lot of medical journals which are now increasingly made available for downloading in PDF format. I am used to highlighting the important text in an article with an ordinary hi-lighter pen to make it easy when I need to go back to that article.

Is there a way one can highlight the text in a PDF document the way one can highlight it on a paper? Will professional versions of Acrobat solve my problem?

Sanjay Ghotkar
TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2006 Mar 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro gives you the ability to highlight text. There are many other things you can do along these lines with the application as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2008 Nov 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Acrobat Pro Extended (version 9) allow text highlighting in any color other than yellow? I, too, am a physician, and I like to highlight different types of text in different colors (e.g., green for numbers and pink, orange, and yellow for text of decreasing importance).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the color of the highlighting, right click on highlighted text and select properties. You can select any color you want.

[signature deleted]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It been a long time I try to change the color of hightlight.

MBT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I get the highlighter to always highlight the spaces between words as well as words?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in tools menu and choose customize menu click ckeckbox nex to Highlighting and underline tool a floating menu comes up place on desire menu. It shows yellow highlighter. But in acrobat 8 there was a choice for yellow, green, red. may be in Acroabt 9. note this is acrobat not reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see where/how to change the default highlight color in Acrobat 9.

I'd like to be able to set it for either a particular file, or for all future use (default setting).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenXYZ890 wrote:

I don't see where/how to change the default highlight color in Acrobat 9.

Right click (or ctrl-click) on the highlighter tool to change the default colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to print a PDF that has highlighted test, the highlight color does not print.  Yes it is a color printer.  What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of printer are you using (Brand, Model, is it a wireless connection or a wired connection)?

Also, it could be the settings you are using. Do you have it set to print document AND mark-up?

Pax,

Voner

(I usually put my contact information here, but it will just be removed by an administrator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late for the original post, but for anyone else looking to highlight text in Acrobat Pro 9 and be able to change the highlighter color...

Accessing the highlighter tool:

1. Right-click on the Toolbar.
  2. Select/check "Comment and Markup." This is the toolbar that contains the Highlight Text tool.

Changing the highlighter color:

• You can right-click on the highlighted text and go to Properties, etc, but there's a more convenient method.

While using the Highlight Text tool, turn on the Properties Bar (make it visible)

1. Window:  Ctl+E
  2. Mac:  Cmd+E
  3. Mouse:  Right-click on the Toolbar and select/check Properties Bar.

This will give you quick access to your highlighter properties, and it will remember your selected color between uses.

The Properties Bar is context aware and will change based on the tool you're actively using, so you have access to change your highlight color through it when the Highlight Text tool is selected/in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS SOOO MUCH!!! MY JAW JUST DROPPED AT HOW EASY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if I can put 4 or 5 highlight colors right on a quick toolbar so I can pick the color I want with one click on a handy toobar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you can't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

refering to the possibility of more easily accessing the coloring option:

since there is a demand for being able to do this simple thing, i find no reason for this not being implemented already..

in the end, it's about usability of the interface and options; the option of coloring exists already, it just needs to allow users to more easily access it.

i'm totally waiting for that simple feature...

luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am curious about this one.

I use PDF to read my texts for school, as well as journal articles downloaded from the university library.  I can highlight text on journal articles, but not on my PDF text.  Is there a reason for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jmcarroll79: Are you sure you have PDF text (or actual text)? Often you have a picture of text and the picture can not be highlighted. You can use the drawing tools to underline just like a pencil in such cases, but not to highlight a graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in a similar boat. I read a lot of patent documents, most of them PDFs but not text proper; they're scanned images of text. I like the way Adobe Reader (free) renders background light blue when I click, makes for easy reading. What I can't figure out how to do is make it global i.e. whole document not just page-by-page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a screenwriter and producer, I find this immensly helpful! To change the DEFAULT color, there is a checkbox at the bottom of the properties pop-up that I originally didn't see - very helpful. Saves time manually highlighting parts for the same actor with different roles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to make the background modifiable for the user. I should be able to pick whatever background color I want. That ugly gray is terrible!

This is an application that we use often, they should make it more user-friendly and improve the appearance.

It should not take this long to fix! Obviously the Customers want this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how, but my highlighter highlights like a pencil and I cant change it back, can anyone please tell me how to fix that before I pull my hair out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine did this too.  Only for some documents.  I finally opened the comment toolbar and on the far right is a bucket (color picker) and some lines (line thickness).  I used the line thickness slider to create a fatter line.  I suppose I will have to change this for the other documents but at least I found something that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"my highlighter highlights like a pencil and I cant change it back"

Mine did this too.  Only for some documents.  I finally opened the comment toolbar and on the far right is a bucket (color picker) and some lines (line thickness).  I used the line thickness slider to create a fatter line.  I suppose I will have to change this for the other documents but at least I found something that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines