• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unchecking radio buttons in fillable PDF

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2008 Apr 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want those checking check box to have the ability to uncheck a box (or radio button). For instance, if there's a question that says, "If you checked "yes" to 8a above, skip question 8b," but someone accidentally checks the radio button in 8b, how do they get BOTH radio buttons unchecked. Right now, there are two radio buttons for each statement -- one for yes, one for no. One can click "yes" and then change their mind and click "no" and "no" is checked and "yes" is unchecked. HOWEVER, I find no way to uncheck BOTH once one or the other has been checked.

How can that be done?

Thank you.

jgb
TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2008 Apr 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat set the value of the radio button group to "Off". You can also group check boxes and change the symbol, this will allow one to uncheck a checked button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Geo

But, the values listed for radio button is either "default" or something else -- but NOT off. At least I can't figure out where it might be.

As for the check boxes -- once checked they remain checked even when the other check box is checked. I need the corresponding box to become unchecked when the other (yes/no) box is checked.

Any advice?

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Judy_Gay_Buchholz) wrote:

Thanks, Geo

But, the values listed for radio button is either "default" or something else -- but NOT off. At least I can't figure out where it might be.

As for the check boxes -- once checked they remain checked even when the other check box is checked. I need the corresponding box to become unchecked when the other (yes/no) box is checked.

Any advice?

thanks.

The value is "Off" not "off". Capitalization is important in JavaScripting.

You might want to check the value of the radio button group when none are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use check boxes with the same field name but different export value, gives you the best of both worlds

HTH
Meabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about one radio button? I need one radio button to toggle on and off when the user clicks it repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A radio button does not toggle on or off, it toggles on and remains on until another radio button in the exclusionary group is toggled on. The form field received its name from the mechanical car radio buttons one use pushed in, it remained pused in until another button on the radio was pushed in.

But could add a button to reset the radio button field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx!!  very very useful tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. well, we will have to sub in checkmarks as they toggle on and off. I hope Adobe will change that one day. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A toogle is a Check box, not a Radio button. You are using the wrong tool. You can change the box to a circle and it will look the same as the radio button, but provides the functionality you have requested. Radio buttons are simply for selecting one item from a group of items by checking the button. Each button would be named the same, but have a different output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a frustrating answer.  "You are using the wrong tool"....did you forget about the other property of the check box?  You can select more than one check box.  Maybe somebody is filling out a form, selects a radio button (out of let's say 3 choices) but then realizes "ehhh....this question isn't actually applicable to me"....well now they're screwed and have to get the clean un-filled out form and start over and make sure they don't touch the radio buttons.  That's just one of many examples of why you'd want to uncheck a radio button (I'm positive other people can think of others).  The functionality of only being able to select one is perfect, but there is just functionality missing from the tool because you should ALWAYS be able to just unselect it.  Or there should be another option that acts like a radio button (you can only choose one) BUT you can unselect the one you picked....your solution below is helpful and a good idea, but just that "No, YoU aRE usINg thE wROnG TOoL" attitude is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But you are... even if it annoys you.

And it was explained above how to create a group of check-boxes where only one can be selected at a time. To reiterate, give them the same name but unique export values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always add another radio button to basically turn the others off. You could make it filled so it will not appear checked or unchecked, just act like a reset. In that case, you would still have to provide something to be sent, like a null.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent tip bill. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can uncheck radio buttons in acrobat 6........... why not 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like they were not radio buttons. Maybe check boxes that looked like radio buttons (round)

joshww wrote:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen a single radio button unchceck in any version of Acrobat from version 4 on up.
One can use an appearance of 'Circle' to make a check box look like a radio button. So you need to carefully look at the form field properties to see what type of form field you are dealing with. Both radio buttons and check boxes have the same appearance options and both have a value of 'Off' in JavaScript when unchecked, and the value of the 'Export Value' when a given widget is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the same properties as in most form structures, including HTML. It is not an Acrobat issue, but a common use definition of forms. The difference between buttons and check boxes provides the different forms of functionality requested by design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope this helps you out! Go to Forms>Clear Form.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been able to uncheck a toggle checkbox finally--I want the unfilled situation back! And obvioiusly, I dont want to reset the whole form!

toggle.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, just add a 3rd radio button that is to clear the other 2. You can set that button so nothing really displays, but it appears as a button to push as a reset. You might even make it round to have it appear differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a question that is for example "Are you married?" if you select "No" skip this section or "Yes answer the following questions".  Use your check boxes to Show/hide the radio buttons.  I.e.  Are you married.   (X) Yes  answer question 1 through 5 or "( ) No skip this section"

If you Check box Yes,  go to 1. Properties, 2. Actions 3.  Select "Show/hide a field  4. Add, 5 Select "Married Group" radio buttons, 6. Select Show.   For "Married No" Select Hide.  This will take away the option to select any radio buttons if they are not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is actually quite simple, I consistently experienced the same issue and checked all over google and adobe and it led me nowhere until I experimented, and the solution has worked perfectly for the last 5 yrs. The issue of accidentally selecting the wrong radio button when filling out a form selection will not allow you to remove it without clearing the form and starting over. Convert the document to Microsoft word.  With/without making additional changes to your document; convert it back to Adobe/Acrobat DC, click the edit button, point the mouse on the bubble and click delete to remove the selection, you can choose to select another or leave it blank. Continue to edit your doc and save. I have tried this for years, especially when downloading a fillable document from the web that will not allow you to possibly type, change or modify particular content. This even works for the annoying warning message regarding editing with LiveCycle.

WarningWarning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

essence1 good tip if you're filling out forms for yourself but most end users won't be able to do this. I'm trying to create the forms so that if someone accidentally clicks a radio button option they don't want it is untickable. Radio buttons don't allow this option. They can be set to off initially but once you click anything the set can't be switched back off. I came here hoping for a solution. Looks like I have to add an extra NA button as the final option in any radio button sets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use check-boxes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines