• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eBook Activation Limit

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2003 Jul 24, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eBook activation system in Adobe Reader 6 was designed to enable users to move content among multiple computers using either a .NET Passport or Adobe ID. Currently this system allows the activation of one PC or Macintosh and one Palm PDA. This limit was based on the requirements of some publishers to limit content to one computer. Adobe intends to increase the number of activations over time and is working with publishers to enable users to easily view content on multiple computers.

In the mean time there is a method to access eBooks on multiple machines using Adobe Reader 6. eBook retailers are permitted to download eBooks up to 4 times for each user. This would allow you to download an eBook on up to 4 computers even though each has a different activation account. We recommend that you contact the provider of your eBooks to determine if they provide this capability. We understand that for eBooks to be successful they must be as easy to use as physical books and provide additional benefits such as lower cost and an enhanced reading experience.

Louise Soeder
Acrobat Product Support Manager

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2003 Aug 01, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is this to say that if I buy a new PC and plan to give my old PC away to another user... That I probably cannot retain access to my purchased ebooks?

Glen Hawley
ghawley2003@cnpower.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already encountered this problem. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat once, then a few days later I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled all my software. When I redownloaded Adobe Acrobat it told me that I couldn't activate it because I had already activated it before. But I keep getting an activation message when I try to download an ebook. I find this highly disconcerting about ebooks. Why would I want to pay for something that I cannot have control over? If I want to loan my book which I puchased to a friend to read, I can. With an ebook, my friend would have to pay the money as well. I don't know about you, but I cannot go around throwing 17 bucks here, 19 bucks there. According to Louise, I cannot even view an ebook which I purchased on another machine. With the recent problem I encountered with Acrobat, I will NEVER buy an ebook because I like to reformat my hard drives often. If I can only download my ebooks 4 times, then they are not worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have reformatted your hard drive or you have a new computer, you can call Customer Service to have your activation "reset".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least you were able to read once.. I can not even get it to activate ONCE. I purchased the eBook from Amazon (they don't do refunds on eBooks) and I can't even download because it cries my Acrobat is not registered. When I attempt to register Acrobat (reader or Pro) it hangs.. never activating. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling... rebooting.. I'm about to RMA my Acrobat 6 and install PDFfactory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary, you said in message 3 that you can re-activate? How?
After my old system died, I just spend more than 2 hours on the phone with various Adobe departments (technical, customer support, unlocking and e-book authorization) AND NOBODY CAN HELP ME GET ACCESS TO MY EBOOKS again.
This was possible in the old e-book reader (2.2), but is no longer supported, they said. A giant leap backwards.

Please prove me wrong!

For the time being, I wrote my books off (in excess of $500) and concluded that Digitial Rights Management does not work. No more e-books for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2003 Aug 05, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they remove my comments that i posted earlier today.

DON'T BUY EBOOKS... ADOBE IS NOW WORTHLESS. I CANNOT EVEN READ AN EBOOK THAT I PURCHASED AT MY WORK COMPUTER, BECAUSE NOW IT'S ONLY VALID "THERE"...

I BLAME AMAZON, THE PUBLISHERS, AND MOST OF ALL ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2003 Aug 07, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If I want to loan my book which I puchased to a friend to read, I can. With an ebook, my friend would have to pay the money as well.

This strikes me as being a very valid criticism. After all, we can lend a friend a CD, a DVD, a VHS, etc., and in theory we should be able to lend an e-book as well. "Real" books still have many important advantages over e-books, in my opinion (portability, lendability, no worries about software/hardware conflicts, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2003 Aug 07, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have thought by now SOMEONE from adobe would have cleared this up inthe forums by now. You brought up a valid point. eBooks as it is .......is not exactly breaking any sales records. eBooks are suppose to be attractive to new users.. this will only ensure the end of $$ eBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2003 Aug 09, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Seriously made 400 bucks this way. I wont lie.

(Need Easy Money? Then READ THIS!!)
HOW TO TURN $6 INTO $6,000!!!!!! READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. A little while back, I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00! So I thought, Yeah right, this must be a scam, but like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. Anyway, it said that you send $1.00 to each of the 6 names and address stated in the article. You then place your own name And address in the bottom of the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200 newsgroups. (There are thousands) No catch, that was it. So after thinking it over, and talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured: what have I got to lose except 6 stamps and $6.00, right? Then I invested the measly $6.00. Well GUESS WHAT!!... Within 7 days, I
Started getting money in the mail! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I had made a total of over $1,000.00! In the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now my fourth week and I have made a total of just over $42,000.00 and it's still coming in rapidly. It's certainly worth $6.00, and 6 stamps, I have spent more than that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and most importantly, why it works....Also, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will start making more money than you thought possible by doing something so easy!

Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (Print it out or download it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the money come in! It's easy. It's legal. And, your investment is only $6.00 (Plus postage)
IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and it is virtually no risk - it really works!!!! If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive extraordinary dividends.

PLEASE NOTE: Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants. Please continue its success by carefully adhering to the instructions.

You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In this business your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the money made from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made from people like you and me asking to be included in that list. Here are the 4 easy steps to success:

STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of paper; PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING

LIST. Now get 6 US $1.00 bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through the envelope (to prevent thievery). Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating the above

phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you are doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a little skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is indeed legal! Mail the 6 envelopes to the following addresses:
Mailing Adresses

1.Stephanie Hicks
1283 Evening Canyon
Henderson NV 89014

2.Tia Loske
40 Hancock St.
Ft. Plain, NY 13339

3.Taylor Prutting
14203 Championship Lane
Houston Tx, 77069

4.Richard Horman
1731 Frost Ave.
Maplewood, MN 55109

5.Ryan Burice
7985 scudder way
Ballground, Ga. 30107

6.Brandon Clark
38 Borden Ave
Perry, NY 14530

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as number 6 on the list.

STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as close to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at least 200 newsgroups. (I think there are close to 24,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you make! This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18 Sec. 1302 & 1341 of the Postal lottery laws.
Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use it again, and again.
PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully adhering to the directions. Look at it this way. If you are of integrity, the program will continue and the money that so many others have received will come your way.
NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you, either on a computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. (Also, it might be a good idea to wrap the $1 bill in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail theft.)
So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one dollar each. Your name will move up the list geometrically so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH!!! What an opportunity for only $6.00 ($1.00 for each of the first six people listed above) Send it now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!
---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------ Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of this document, and select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computer's memory.
Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your cursor at the top of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the list.
Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your postings in different settings, you'll always have this file to go back to.
Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.)
Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your first one! Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup!
**REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!! BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200**
That's it! You will begin receiving money from around the world within days! You may eventually want to rent a P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If you wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the postman will deliver it.
**JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE CORRECT.**
Now the WHY part: Out of 200 postings, say I receive only 5 replies (a very low example). So then I made $5.00 with my name at #6 on the letter. Now, each of the 5 persons who just sen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2003 Aug 11, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must correct myself from my August 5 posting. I CAN buy ebooks and read them on multiple machines.... we all can.... just not using adobe's product.

As much as I dislike Microsoft, the MICROSOFT READER w/cleartype allows you to activate up to 6 different machines. So I purchased my ebooks from Simon and Schuster in .LIT format (not .pdf format, mind you!!)..... the books worked fabulously on my desktop and pocket pc.... perfect for my recent trip to Chicago (which is what I was preparing for initially when I purchased the ebook in pdf format from my work location and then couldn't access it anywhere else).... with Microsoft Reader, no traumas activating all my machines (3 at home and a pocket pc), and my machine at work.

I never thought I'd say this when I've always been a fan of Adobe.... but.... WAY TO TO MICROSOFT A+.....

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2003 Sep 06, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so currently what can we do, dispose our purchased ebooks, can't Adobe reset the ativation number?!!

There should be a solution, plase advise.

Wael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2003 Sep 07, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>can't Adobe reset the ativation number?!!

In the Adobe Reader forum there seems to be someone who is responding
to requests to reset the activation. I recommend posting there even -
in this unusual case - if you aren't using Reader.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2003 Sep 11, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i sure am in the majority here.

all the above complaints are identical to mine - bought 5 ebooks as i am in latin america and there are no books in my native tongue to read available.

swapped out a clunky laptop for a desktop rocket and now have no access to ebooks i've actually paid money for (a rarity these days, no?)

if my old activation can be deleted, rescinded, etc, and i can re apply, i will be happy to do so.

my previous activation was under 'bicycology at hotmail.com' and i don't remember the laptop's id - it wasn't mine and it was a bunch of letters and numbers.

i have transferred the files, so all i need is a fresh start.

thanks much.

Randolph Croft.

and, no, i can't call you as i don't have the ability to speak (throat surgery.)

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2003 Sep 11, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randolph,

Can I suggest you re-post the above under this topic (click on the coloured text) James D Morris "eBook Activation Limit" 9/10/03 7:40pm - this appears definitely to be monitored by someone who can do the resetting - I don't know whether this topic is or not but it would not hurt to be on the safe side.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2003 Oct 06, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "First right of sale" issue has been raging for some time. Before you ditch the Adobe eBook Reader included in Adobe Reader 6 and Acrobat 6, understand that distribution is governed by the eBook publisher, NOT Adobe. If an eBook publisher chooses to enable "Super Distribution", then you can email your eBook to whomever you choose. I think your fight is with the publishers, not Adobe. As to the activation issue, if you have reformatted your hard drive or purchased a new computer, you can call 800-272-3623 to get your activation reset. Currently, activation is limited to one P/C and one PDA. If you would like this to be increased, I would suggest you go to the Product Feature Request Form and fill out a Feature Request. That is truly the BEST way to initiate changes in Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2003 Oct 06, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salam, Hello in Arabic, got the same problem and concern, wiped my HD, then surprise....., at any rate, 4 me it takes 9 - 16 daysto recievew hard copies by DHL to my Saudi Arabia address, ebooks sometimes are the best solution. Sharaf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2003 Nov 05, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought an e-Book from Amazon. I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 which I purchased loaded on my machine. Unfortunately I need Acrobat Reader 6.0. I downloaded Reader 6.0. I can not activate the product. i have tried re-loading, fixing, removing the program and downloading it again. Nothing works. I can not read my e-Book.

When I press the activate button on the ARACTIVATE web page, files download to my machine. Then I get a message that states 'processing'. At this point the program either hangs or I get a message stating the the DRM Activator is not responding.

Someone please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2003 Dec 14, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just goes to show how interested Adobe Amazon etc are!
The thing is the've already got your Cash!
There must be some action we can take against this rip Off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice - but what if the DRM page won't activate me? I've tried changing browsers and that doesn't work. Also - why won't Reader 6.0 allow highlighting and comments in my ebooks???

Thank you,
Kristi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like we're all having problems activating. I keep going around in circles. I create a profile, the site tells me that my profile has been created but when I hit the activate button it just takes me back to the create profile screen.

I've just bought an e-book and would really appreciate being able to read it now. If TPTB at Adobe could find it in their hearts to rectify this matter I think there are a lot of people who would be very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never figured ot how to get my Reader activated and never was able to read my e-book. I will NEVER buy another e-book. I have and will continue to tell everyone I know not to buy e-books as well. - Al -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2003 Dec 15, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am in a vicious circle and find myself unable to activate my A. Reader. Effectively blocking me from reading a new ebook.

Could the Acrobat Product Support Manager give some clarity to the lack of a resolution to this problem?

I have always liked Adobe software, but find myself surprised that this situation hasne't seemed to be resolved. I cannot download an owned ebook and now will not buy one until I can actually read it.

Perhaps some pressure to the companies selling the ebooks, from customers complaining about Adobe software may provoke thought for them to use another software vendor. Adobe are creating a bad reputation for ebooks by this stupid situation.

How now do I read an ebook I have paid for that will only work on Acrobat Reader 6????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2003 Dec 15, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie,

Please note that this is a User to User Forum and is not routinely visited by Adobe personnel although they do occasionally drop in here and spot your posts.

Another post has been made by someone over the last weekend that US Support told him the Activation server was down and could not be fixed until monday morning. I presume that this means monday morning USA time and, aslo, in all likelihood late morning allowing for someone to identify the exact problem and get everything sorted.

If that is so I think you need to allow another 4-5 hours from the time this message was posted before you are going to be able to activate.

If you want to get Adobe's attention I can only suggest using the Contact Us link at the top of this page or calling your local office.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Arthur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2003 Dec 18, 2003

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not already done so, I would highly recommend you update to Acrobat/Reader 6.0.1. In the updated version, activation occurs "in the background" when you download your eBook, so you should not have the activation errors that you are currently experiencing. For Reader, you will have to download and install the entire Reader (I installed right over top of Reader 6.0 with no problem). For Acrobat, you can go to the Downloads page and grab the 6.0.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines