Exit

Problem converting Word Documents into pdf

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2007 Jan 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks - and Happy New Year to You!

I'm using version Adobe 7.0.

I written an e-book and can't get the darn thing to convert into a pdf file. Sometimes it works -- sometimes it doesn't.

I suspect the problem is with my many embedded graphics. I have created Microsoft Powerpoint slides, and have cut and pasted them into my ebook as objects inserted between the paragraphs of text.

When converting from the "Convert to Adobe PDF" button in my Word Toolbar, it gets all the way through and finally has an error at the end saying: "an error occured while creating a temporary file; Word was unable to write some of the embedded objects due to insufficient memory or disk space"

I have Adobe set with a password to protect copying, and the Word file size is around 1Mb.

My computer is only a year old, and I have 23 Gb of free space.

I'm using Windows Professional XP and Word 2002

Please reply asap or email me on [email address deleted by host]

You Have My Best Regards

Dave
TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2007 Jan 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do the conversion, you are using Acrobat ("Adobe version 7" could
be lots of things, but only Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Professional
would add the Word icon). I recommend the Acrobat Windows forum, lots
more people there who might be able to help. Good luck,

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2007 Jan 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Aandi,

My clever nephew has said get the free software on this link and it will work a treat - no more bloat-ware from Adobe!!

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Best Regards

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2007 Jun 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error. Ran Open and Repair. Repaired 6 corrupted object links. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can anyone help. I have Adobe 5.0 standard and an Adobe 7.0 upgrade. both have been running fine until recently. I can no longer transfer my hyperlinks to the pdf file when converting from word. I have also lost the icon links in all the microsoft applications. I have removed the upgrade and 5.0 software to start again from scratch. at the moment I only have the 5.0 standard on there but still cannot get this working. Any ideas anyone ....

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2007 Aug 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a figure in Word with text boxes and some bitmap figs. Conversion to PDF has worked fine for several years and I have done these same figures in the past.
Now, when converting this Word document to PDF, quality and resolution is poor, even with high Adobe settigns [7.0 Professional].
Same results with several similarly created figures. However, if I copy the figure into Powerpoint after making it in Word, and then make the pdf from within Powerpoint, it looks perfect.
Also tried Distiller, and tried converting from Word through the printer [ie, selecting Adobe PDF from the printer list]. Also tried to go through Publisher and postscript files, but resolution was also poor. Other Word documents convert fine. The only thing that works is going through powerpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2007 Aug 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - my workaround is to print the document to Acrobat. The conversion is faster and does not hang up with the error message. I am probably missing some layers using this approach but it does not seem to be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I tried many fixes but the one that finally worked was deleting the Adobe PDF from the printer list and then opening Acrobat again which prompted it to go into repair mode. Once the repair ran and I restarted all was well with converting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2008 Jan 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
After successfully converting work docs to pdf for about 9 months, I have noticed the conversion only works after trying it twice. Adobe seems like it's attempting to convert but it does not complete. I do not receive any error message - just no pdf doc appears on screen. I click the adobe icon again and then it works. Interestingly, this only happens on the first word doc. Subsequent docs convert on first try until I close my ms word program and reopen and then I need to do it twice again. I have checked for patches and have adobe version 8.1.1 and ms word 2002. any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you post in the Acrobat Windows forum Diane.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2008 Feb 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While converting word to PDF, the links do not work and even if they do they seldom take you to the right place. How can this problem be solved? Is this something related to word or the pdf converter settings?? I have windows 2003.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2008 Feb 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>While converting word to PDF

Please post this in the forum for the software you are using to create
the PDF.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2008 May 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem - functional links in a Word doc do not convert properly to PDF. Some link incorrectly, and some do not link at all.
I think it might have something to do with the page breaks - the converted PDF does not have the same page breaks as the original Word doc. Ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2008 Aug 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe you should just get open office.

it has a function to export as pdf.

and it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sufficient PC memory (RAM) is very important. For years, I have been having troubles opening large pdf file. My pc either get hang or an error pop up.

After adding an extra RAM (now totalling 1G, everything is fine:)

May be you should add a RAM to your pc. It really speed things up. (RAM is different from the amount of empty space your hard disk has)

Hope this help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx ronsfi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2008 Oct 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, till I ended up using Open Office and I was able to easily convert the Word docs to pdf and also have
hyperlinked URL's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2008 Oct 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have tried to get this right for a few days now Finally found some info at

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=330729

See point 2 below.

Creating PDF files by using PDFMaker

You can convert Word files from within either Word or Acrobat. Because both applications use PDFMaker, you can achieve the same results in either application.
To create a PDF file from within Word:
1. Exit from all applications except Word to minimize processing time. To further minimize processing time, complete the following:
-- If the document contains several fonts, either reduce the number of fonts or replace TrueType fonts with Type 1 fonts.
-- If the document contains large or complex tables, reduce the number of columns and rows.

2. If the document contains hyperlinks, make sure that the page margins are .8 inch or larger.

3. To add features such as font embedding and compression to your PDF file, choose Adobe PDF > Change Conversion Settings. (To create customized job options settings with these features, edit the conversion settings. For more information, see "Editing the PDFMaker Conversion Settings" in the Acrobat Help.)

Isn't it totally obvious to anyone that the margins have to be at least 0.8 inches for hyperlinks to work.....
I made a new page format slightly larger and increased the margins. After making the PDF file i trimmed it in Adobe. Worked like a dream...

Roger

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than copying your PowerPoint slides into your doc, it might work better if you did screen shots of the slides, then inserted those as .jpg or .gif files. Also, think of whether or not the user will want to print your ebook. If it's screen only viewing, 72dpi images are fine. Otherwise, to print, save your graphics at 300dpi.
Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2009 Jan 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

I work on a Mac. I created a PDF from a Word doc. The graphic looks great in Word and prints fine, but looks bitmapped on screen. The image is a JPG. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried various pdf-converters but I find Open Office the easiest to use. So easy that I sometimes worry about the effectivity of the security settings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2010 Sep 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That should not be an issue for you as I''m almost in a similar situation as far as

computer resource is concern.

Why not de-install and re-install it again? Try. It might just work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines