Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about CHM localization with RH7

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
I'm a longtime RH user (since 1997), currently on X5 and looking into Version 7 for its localization features. X5 uses a .lng file to customize the HTMLHelp viewer interface. Does support for .lng files continue in v7? Will these .lng files work for Chinese and Japanese too?

(Sure I could download the trial and see, but I've read the 'heads up' threads about not doing so unless keenly sure you'll be upgrading. So erring on the side of caution and not yet getting the trial.)

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007
First 'good news' report: the RH7 trial peacefully coexists with my X5. I can have both open at once, if needed- X5 for production work, and 7 for testing.

Second 'good news' item:
I am happy to find that RH7 has maintained the use of the .lng file to customize the HTMLHelp viewer interface. (Something that the competitor Flare cannot do, btw.) And a long list of additional languages (including Chinese and Japanese, which I need) has been added as well. RH7 includes pre-translated .lng files;...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum

"I've read the 'heads up' threads about not doing so unless keenly sure you'll be upgrading"

What have you been reading?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threads on this forum in the general and HTMLHelp sections.
Which say that it's not advisable to have the RH7 trial and a previous version coexisting on a "production pc".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is coming from the general precaution that you don't experiment with any software on a machine that is critical. It applies to any software.

There is also the point that RH7 changes the code. If you are working with copies of a project, that doesn't matter. But how do you work on your live projects at the same time if you no longer have the earlier version.

If you install and decide to roll back only having worked on copy projects, the cheery theory is that you can then uninstall and reinstall your earlier version. It's early days though so no anectodal tales yet.

That does sort of take us full circle to your original question and I don't know the answer to that one. Hope though I have clarified the trial version issues.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have one PC at my disposal, so kind of don't have a choice on 'where' to install the v7 trial. I would only make a test help project (or a copy of a "real" one) in the trial copy. And if X5 and v7 can happily co-exist, I won't have an issue either.

Guess no early adopters have tried out the .lng feature yet.... (I was kinda hoping that Adobe staff could answer that, anyway.) I will check it out, and report back.

Thanks Peter for your clarifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
First 'good news' report: the RH7 trial peacefully coexists with my X5. I can have both open at once, if needed- X5 for production work, and 7 for testing.

Second 'good news' item:
I am happy to find that RH7 has maintained the use of the .lng file to customize the HTMLHelp viewer interface. (Something that the competitor Flare cannot do, btw.) And a long list of additional languages (including Chinese and Japanese, which I need) has been added as well. RH7 includes pre-translated .lng files; no need to send off the terms to your translation service. Simply go to File>Project Settings and select the appropriate language, then click the Advanced button. The corresponding .lng file is opened; click OK and it's added as a Baggage item to your project. **This is the same as it worked in X5, just with more languages now!! 🙂

Upon compiling, the CHM viewer is supposed to be localized. The only trouble (carrying over from RH X5) is that Windows in that native language is needed to actually see the localizations in the CHM viewer. Perhaps the people at our translation service have non-English versions of Windows, and would be able to test-run these localized CHMs for me.

This is enough info though, for me, to tell management of my purchase decision: that I need RH7 and not "the competitor"! ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp