Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DE 1 & Memory

Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2007 Jun 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've liked DE from the first beta. But I was wondering why it seems such a memory hog. I installed the final version after deleting the beta and my library. I found it quite surprising that with only 18 books in the lib that DE1 is using over 160,000K. That seems a lot for what's said to be a small application. Is this figure going to grow out of hand as I add more to the library?

Also of the 18 books I've just added to the library (all pdf's from the same directory) less than half of them show a front page thumbnail graphic, the others just being a grey background with yellow alert icon?

I must say, DE is a much nicer app for reading PDF's than say Acrobat reader, but the memory issue seems a little odd. Is this normal or an issue with the way I'm using it?

thanks again
glenn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A related question: does DE duplicate existing pdf files, or merely display them in a new way? As for annotations, where are these kept -- if, for example, I want to share (or print) mine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know PDFs are NOT copied. As for the annotations and other DE files, on Vista they are in the 'User'/Documents/My Digital Editions folder so I assume on all systems on OSs they will be somewhere similar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked mine and it is using 40,000 to 47,000k but when you open the adobe reader 8.0 and do the same test that number doubles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2007 Jun 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bounce.

last time I looked mine had just hit over 300,000K! this can't be right cant it?

has anyone else found this?

cheers
glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2007 Jun 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It really depends on the type of file and its contents. Also, the way DE uses memory is different than Reader. Also, note that TaskManager is not really a very accurate way of tracking memory as it tracks allocations but doesn't always track the freeing of memory correctly. Try the same tests with a more sophisticated tool like PerfMon. That said, we will look into this some more to ensure we are being efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines