• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More initial thoughts and suggestions

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2007 Jun 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they're trying to make this as much as possible like reading a book. GREAT!

My first instinct when downloading one of the sample books and opening it up is that clicking on the page (or cover) should flip the page to the next one.

Huh. Nope, it doesn't. Maybe if I click-hold, and drag the page, the way I would a book.

Huh. Nope, it doesn't do that, either. Oh, you mean I have to go down to the lower right and click on the little arrow pointing down to change the page? How UNlike a book.

Next, for reading pleasure, use of the screen for actual book real estate should be maximized. Instead there are all these frames and navigation thingies, leaving only 80% or so for the book. Mistake. There should be a shortcut key that brings up / hides the navigation tools. (OK, I didn't bother to see whether this feature is already available, it probably is).

Third and last, there ought to be intermediate zoom level with easy-to-use controls. Even the custom feature didn't let me find a comfortable balance between the text's being large enough to read on my laptop and yet not shouting at me (as it does in fit width). Adobe does this well with their Acrobat apps, why not with this product? Again, the interface should be intuitive.

Thanks (if you are still reading).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2007 Jun 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Digital Editions <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/">help page</a> lists all of the <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#shortcut_keys" /></a>keyboard shortcuts. <br /> <br />To show or hide the side panel use F4, and the left and right arrows (among others) will scroll up or down. <br /> <br />Clicking, holding and dragging the corner of the page in double page view to turn the page, is a particular favorite feature with our management, that we just didn't have time to implement in 1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2007 Jun 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Also, if they do not have a preview, the majority of teachers are not going to purchase them online. I am required in my district in Florida to buy everything that I want for my classroom.
This comes from my own personal funds.

I will not buy a "pig-in-a-poke"

Diane White
Oviedo, Florida

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2007 Jun 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all

Page turn allthough very good looking soon becomes pointess and gets in the way. by all means put it into a future version but core funtions are more important than the bells and whistles I think.

Please could someone get back to me about the memory usage problem i seem to be havng. even if it's just to let me know that is normal for the app to use 300,000K!

ta
glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2007 Jul 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,
You can hide the side bar by double-clicking on the little arrow (half-way down the sidebar, on the right), click-dragging the same arrow to the left or using the keyboard shortcut [F4]. That should get you more than 80% viewing space :)
Also, you can increase and decrease font size by either clicking on the icons (top right) or using the shortcuts [ctrl]+[+] and [ctrl]+[-].

A list of shortcuts can be found as one of the pages on the help site http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#shortcut_keys

Hope that helps :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2007 Jul 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made "previous page" and "next page" nav buttons for my recently finished book and it also has a horizontal layout for increased readability.

I noticed that in Digital Editions they stopped working.Will this be a permanent downside or is it going to be fixed in later editions?

I love the idea that DE is lightweight and easy to use but I don't think it should cut down on functionality to such a degree.After all, nav buttons aren't such a big deal.

I also had a "start" button supposed to "re-wind" to page 1 and one that linked to my website.I guess I could easily give up on these...but nav buttons are hard to let go.

Links inside the book also don't work anymore.I have a 30 page chapter reviewing some web services and links are important to some degree.Luckily I also specifically mentioned them in www.domain.tld format instead of linking the website title to the actual domain only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gia,

Digital Editions supports the PDF/A specification, with the exception of supporting ACS encrypted content. PDF/A disallows among other things, JavaScript and Form Fields both of which is necessary to make your navigation buttons work. From the FAQ:

The intention is to support in Digital Editions those PDF features reasonably needed by eBooks and other commercially published content, balancing 100% coverage with a focus on small size and high performance

Since adding in a Javascript engine and Form field support would greatly add to the size of Digital Editions, I wouldn't expect this to change just to support in document navigation UI.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you guys are posting thoughts, comments and ideas on how adobe can improve their 'digital editions' when they havent dealt with the most important problem (we cant read legit ebooks we purchased payed money for). I dont understand what this world is becoming. How in God's name can adobe bring out a product that doesnt even do the core/basic thing its meant to do - read ebooks!
you guys are meant to be discussing how we can sue adobe not proposing ideas to adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there ought to be intermediate zoom level with easy-to-use controls. Even the custom feature didn't let me find a comfortable balance between flv converter text's being large enough to read on my laptop and yet not shouting at me (as it does in fit width).
when they havent dealt with the most important problem (we cant read legit ebooks we purchased payed money for). I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Is there a way to search by title or author in Library view..it is a very useful feature when the collection grows big..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines