Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fusebox and MVC

Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I'm new to fusebox and want to start to use it in my newest project.
I will also implement the design pattern MVC (Model-View-Control).
But I have some questions about this.

1. I will have the fusebox to call a start circuit (Control). But in the name of MVC how should the structure be?

/Model
/View
/Control

Should I then have sub directory in these like

/Model/
/View/dsp_entry
/Contol/Entry

Should it be /Control/Entry and then an entry in the circuit
or
Should it be /Control and then an entry in that Circuit (without the entry circuit subdirectory)

3. What about the structure of a login?
I think that the entry circuit should test if the user is loggedin (Control dir ?) and then call /View/dsp_login.cfm or /View/login/dsp_login.

4. When and how should sub dirs used?

5. Calling a model. I uses cfc's for database access. I have a cfc called food that handles all the select, update and deletes of foods. But where should that cfc be located? I know that it should be in the dir /Model. But Should it be in /Model/Food???)

I think that some of the questions may be a little uncleare. But maby will an answer for one of the questions answer the rest of my questions.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, the fun of system design and structure. This is a very difficult question to answer. I've organized it in different ways and have not found one method I am 100% satisfied with. The best way I have found is by function like: usercp, inventory, shoppingcart, shipping, etc. I would check out the fusebox.org site and forums, you'll probably get more responses to fusebox specific questions like these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Like Steve notes, it's a tough question to answer. I thought I would chime in with a note on how I structure my FB (versions 5) applications:

In the root of the application, I have my Fusebox initialization files, fusebox.xml file, index page, application cfm/cfc file, and a variety of folders*:
1. controller -- contains my circuit.xml and, sometimes subfolders. When I have a secure site, I have a child folder here called "login" that contains another circuit.xml file.
2. model -- typically, I have a circuit.xml file in the root and two subfolders: actions (where I keep a few action fuses) and com (where I keep CFCs)
3. view -- contains a circuit.xml file and several child folders. Typically, displays (for display fuses), layouts (for layout fuses), and public (contains the images, javascript, css, etc. necessary for the display of the site -- all nested in appropriately named folders, of course!).

*There are often a few other folders in the root directory, alongside my MVC setup:
errortemplates, lexicon, verbs, plugins, parsed).

These come with the FB framework. On non-shared servers, I reference the framework files from their own directory, while on shared servers, I have the FB framework and these folders uploaded to the root directory as well.

If you Google "Fusebox MVC" you will see a lot of tutorials and posts regarding using the MVC design patter with FB. It's pretty easy to get going with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2007 Oct 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for your replies. It was much like that I was going to use.
I already have googled fusebox and MVC for answer but I did not find an answer that did satisfy me.
Also I have looked at all the tutorials on fusebox.org but I think that every single of them use Fusebox 4 and I use fusebox 5. Ofcause the basics is the same but there is also a lot of changes.

I have now done my first fuse but am a little worried if this can be right.

In the fusebox.xml.cfm I call the controller
<parameter name="defaultFuseaction" value="app.foodList" />

in the Controler circuit.xml.cfm I call the model to retrieve data and the view to output it
<fuseaction name="foodList">
<do action="m.getAllFood" />
<do action="v.showFoodGrid" />
</fuseaction>

In the model I have the circuit.xml.cfm which retrives a query from a cfc
<fuseaction name="getAllFood">
<instantiate object="Foods" class="foods" />
<invoke object="Foods" methodcall="getFood()" returnvariable="qry_allFoods" />
</fuseaction>

And in the View I have
<fuseaction name="showFoodGrid">
<include template="dsp_foodGrid" contentvariable="body" />
</fuseaction>

Now when I have done this it don’t seams right to me. Because the one little function to show a list of foods in a grid is spread all over the application.
The circuit.xml.cfm of booth model and view will contain a lot of different fuseactions. Is that right?

I would prefer to have it all together like :
<fuseaction name="showFoodGrid">
<instantiate object="Foods" class="foods" />
<invoke object="Foods" methodcall="getFood()" . . . >
<include template="dsp_foodGrid" contentvariable="body" />
</fuseaction>

To me the last one gives me a better overview how the show food works instead have to go into bouth the model and view circuits to see what happens.
Is there a tool that can help with maybe displaying the fuse and circuit connections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation