• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions in Mac OS X Leopard

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2007 Nov 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can I not use Digital Editions in Leopard? It's really not that different than Tiger? I can't even download it and find out for myself whether or not it works?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not yet support Leopard. And, yes, there are some significant differences at the OS level, file handling and networking has changed in subtle but important ways. We will be releasing a new version of DE (1.5) soon, which will support Leopard. And no, I cannot say exactly when due to Adobe's policy in that area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2007 Nov 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys need to get on the ball. I just bought an eBook that I cannot use on my MacBook because I run Leopard. This is not acceptable. You have had the betas of Leopard for a long, long time.

I used to respect Adobe as a company, but no more. You have no idea how you are alienating your customers because of your poor development of your DRM.

What you don't "get" is that this is not like Photoshop where you can take your sweet time. You are denying people their legitimate RIGHT to what is theirs to use. You have done this with tying it to the computer and now with not having this version ready on time.

I WAS NOT INFORMED THAT THIS DID NOT WORK ON LEOPARD WHEN I PURCHASED MY EBOOK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ted. This is totally unacceptable. Adobe need to pick it up on the Apple aide, or Apple just needs to buy Adobe... period. In the meantime Ted, bootcamp or vmware Fusion has worked for me in the interim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2007 Dec 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with Leopard is that ther ea server-side bug in the software that delivers the ebooks. In Windows and OSX 10.4, this didn't cause a problem, but Leopard changed how they process HTTP headers a little and that causes the header to be incorrectly read. Since these servers are all over the world and in constant use, we can't fix that. We have fixed the bug already in the main and it will be in the next release. We are currently assessing when and how to release the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought an ebook that I need in order to write a paper for school. Now, I can't even see the book that I already paid money for. Not to mention, I cannot write my paper. I don't understand why something as simple as a means for viewing text can result in such complicated software issues. For god sake, send me the ebook in a microsoft word document, I DON'T CARE, I just want to read the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> For god sake, send me the ebook in a microsoft word document,

Your frustration is understandable, but nobody even knows what you
bought or who you bought it from.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2007 Dec 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Adobe Reader 7.0.9 from Adobe's site, and I was able to use it to read my eBook that I just purchased.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Works with Leopard and Intel!
- Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricardo is correct. Download 7.0.9 by choosing 10.2 operating system as your current os. open the ebook and it will say adding to Digital Editions, and then simply open in 7.0.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2007 Dec 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to use Adobe's 7.0.9 reader did not work for me.

This DRM system is absolutely insane. There's no better way to convince a paying customer to not trust your company or products by taking $30 for an eBook, which has given me only technical headaches and 600 pages of blank ePaper.

I bought an eBook because I liked the idea of having the book on my laptop, without having to lug around a bunch of physical books. However, now I'm out the $30, and I have NOTHING.

Adobe, this is ludicrous. I paid for this eBook... I'm supposed to OWN it. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm fairly certain that means I should be able to READ it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bachelor, Please submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/. I will obviously need more info in order to be able to tell what the problem is (OS, version, browser, details of the error, if any). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2007 Dec 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a debacle. Leopard has been in Beta/released for close to a year. virtually everybody else has managed to get their heads around it but not Adobe. I've just PAID for a book that carried no warning of incompatibility only to discover half an hour later that good old Adobe don't have it together enough to crank out an update.
I avoid Adobe wherever possible these days and this just adds to my displeasure with you.
i've asked my retailer for a refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2007 Dec 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the actual state? When can we expect the version 1.5?
Greetings
Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very very soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought an eBook and I can't open it in the latest Acrobat but the workaround with Adobe Reader 7.0.9 worked in Leopard! thanks for the tip! I'm not sure why an older version works in Leopard and the current one doesn't?

(rant...)
And I can't believe I spent $50 on a pdf file that I can't even open properly. Or print or scribble notes on... So am I supposed to go out and buy an $800 device to read eBooks just to find out that it wont support this locked file? And then some people wonder why iTunes is successful and eBooks aren't (yet)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just (ignorantly) downloaded my first e-Book in Adobe format - big mistake.

Tried to download DE - can't, apparently because I'm running Leopard.

Tried to open the e-book in Reader 7.0.9 - gives me this error:

"Could not create an EDB database: Unable to load the specified database driver dynamic link library"

Can't "activate" any devices because the Adobe website is screwed up (when I try to create an Adobe ID, the first question that pops up is "Select your country", and there are no choices in the pop-down menu).

So I just wasted $20 for a book I can't even read.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just purchased an ebook online and what a stupid mistake i made, i will never buy another ebook again and Adobe's software, particularly this dumb Digital Editions Rubbish.

What good is it for portability when you cannot even transfer that ebook you purchased to another computer of yours especially your laptop?. I happened to have 6 pcs and one laptop in my home.

Please for sanity's sake fix this problem once and for all. We are NOT proud of your software anymore.

Extremely Disappointed User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2008 Jan 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a macbook pro with Leopard, and I've just bought and ebook that I can't use! This is incredible! How did Adobe still have no solution? I feel roubed! I need and want a way of reading the ebook I've bought NOW! I've already paid for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2008 Jan 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased an ebook from my Univeristy. The University site says my MacBook Pro running Leopard will work. Now I go to adobe's site and find out that I can't even download the software at my own risk. When will 1.5 be ready? It must be in Beta now, can I get a Beta copy?

Thanks,
Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2008 Jan 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had read this forum content first before I purchased an ebook. I knew there was trouble when I saw the "etd" file extension and not the usual pdf that you'd normally expect. Certainly was not pleased to hear that Digital Editions doesn't work on Leopard. This should have been made known at the time of purchase of the ebook.
I bought the book from Ebookmall and was really looking forward to reading it as well as saving a few trees at the same time. It doesn't work for me with Adobe 7.09 either as suggested by some others. $20 and a lot of time wasted.Very disappointing indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waiting and waiting....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating. I take school online and love using my mac and acrobat 8 pro to make a copy of a chapter with highlights and annotations that I can access from any mac via iDisk. Now I am forced to use acrobat reader 6.0 just to read it and forget markups unless you export and import them constantly to work between machines. I can't imagine giving up the new features of leopard just to read a pdf file....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2008 Jan 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to read already purchased .pdf content on MacBook Pro instead of older G4.
After hours of frustration, only very specific set of steps worked for me.

(1) Must use Safari to open this page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html
Other browser would not let drop-down menu drop down (assume it detected I was "lying" and would not cooperate).
(2) Chose OS 10.2.8 as indicated in above post.
(3) After download QUIT all Adobe software.
(4) Run Reader 7.0.9 installer in .dmg.
(5) Open Reader .app and File >> Digital Editions >> Authorize device. Saved authorization file to desktop, then double-clicked from there.
(6) Make sure browser lists current Mac in authorized devices list at bottom of Digital Editions accounts webpage.
(7) Keep saying NO every time Adobe pop-up offers to update Reader to version 8 (already HAVE that!!)
(8) Open Reader 7.0.9 first. Make sure Acrobat 8 Pro and Reader 8 not open.
(9) Control-click and "open with" pdf file or File >> Open within Reader 7.

Note -- if downloading more than one .etd file book purchase from same invoice at provider's website, browser put (2) and (3) on end of .etd file name. Needed to REMOVE the (2) and (3) from end of file names to get process to complete downloads.

--romy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2008 Jan 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I love reader ebooks on my computer, and I just bought one after I upgraded my computer to Leopard and found out Adobe isn't compatible with leopard. Now I am out the money I spent.

I tried downloading Adobe 7.09; however, when I try to activate the device an error message comes up stating that I can not be activated because I am not an EasyActivation User and cannot get the migrated to full user.

Does anyone know what this means?

I have always been able to download my ebooks on the Adobe Digital Reader, for some reason now I can't. This is very frustrating and I am extremely disappointed with Adobe. They knew Leopard was coming out and should have had the problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2008 Jan 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but the "Leopard transition" story does not excuse the same problem on Tiger. I have complained about the same issues listed by other notes on this forum for over 15 months. I have purchased and downloaded free digital content for over several years, and it is the change to the Digital Editions that has rendered all of my digital content unusable. I didn't want this change and was not advised of it when I upgraded my Creative Suite from CS2 to CS3. I concur with the complaints about lack of support (several phone calls, forum posts and e-mailed requests). I fully support anyone who can break the DRM imposed by Adobe and its breach of faith and contract.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines