• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No accessibility for screen readers

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who is blind and uses JAWS screen reader to access computer information. Several E-books were purchased and downloaded (ebooks.com) and it was found that they can not be accessed by JAWS to read the content as they are in PDF "content protected" format.

I understand locking content for copyright and to protect the retailer from pirating however this has excluded people who are blind from access to this great resource. Is there a solution to this issue?

Peter
Adaptive Technology Consultant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2008 Jan 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Editions does not yet support Read ALoud. We are working hard on getting that in, but for the time being you need to install Reader 7 do get this functionality. You can get Reader 7 here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2008 Feb 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am visually impaired and use Zoomtext screen reader. I've already purchased an e-book in Digital Adobe and then found my screen reader won't work. Are you saying I can read it with Adobe 7.0? If so, how do I open the book with Adobe 7.0? If it's not possible to use my screen reader, can I get a credit for the book I purchased?

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, an answer to this would be very helpful, as I am in a quandary about this same issue. It seems as if a few publishers are requiring disabled students to purchase eBooks when they offer them rather than providing a digital copy such as a .pdf or .doc. If screen readers won't work with the formats they're providing, it does certainly seem that those users are being excluded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Digital Editions books are not backward compatible with 7.0 SO what you need to do it is

- uninstall DE
- install Reader 7
- ask for a new download from your vendor. Most vendors are happy to do this for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2008 Apr 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Has anyone succeeded in having ebooks.com agree to a download for Adobe Reader 7.0?
Kay Atkinson,
Adaptive Equipment Tech

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines