• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Install Digital Edition

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2008 Jan 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running on an Apple Macbook Pro, under the latest version of Mac OS X Leopard. I have downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 8, and I am trying to get Digital Editions to work so that I can read a textbook. I have 2GB of ram, and I have tried this with identical results using the latest Safari and Firefox browsers on this computer.

From the McGraw-Hill website, I am brought to a site titled "Adobe DRM Activator" where there is a message that says "Adobe DRM Activator was unable to detect Adobe Reader or Acrobat version 6 or later with Digital Edition support installed on your computer. This detection can fail under certain conditions and does not necessarily mean you do not have the necessary software installed."

Regardless of what I click, a file - ebx.etd - is downloaded onto my computer. When I run it, I am brought to this website: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/?source=acroetd

On this site, if I click "Download Now" on the right hand menu, the page simply bumps down to the Flash object on the page under the "Download and Install" header. The Flash object is just one button. When I click it, I am brought to this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/

If I click "Download Now" on the right hand menu here, I am brought back to the page with the Flash object. If I clicked on the "Installer page" link under the "Getting Started" section, I am referred to this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditionsinstaller

That link does not work, and I am stuck from there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2008 Jan 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan
As stated in that help page, Digital Editions does not yet support Mac OS 10.5. Your only option to read eBook protected PDF files at this point is to install Acrobat Reader 7 (and use it open the .etd files with). 10.5 support is in the works for are next release (1.5), which is currently under fevered development

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

So, if I uninstall my Acrobat Reader 8, then install Acrobat Reader 7, I will be able to access my textbook?

If so, which version of Acrobat Reader 7 should I download, and where can I download it? (I tried searching for a download, but I have only found updates - I assume that those are patches and that I still need to find an Acrobat Reader 7 full version somewhere.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

First I do need to note here that Adobe does not support running Reader 7.0.9 on Mac OS 10.5, although several people on this forum have reported that they have gotten this working just fine for reading protected eBooks. If you want a supported configuration (for 10.5) you will need to wait until Digital Editions 1.5 comes out.

If you still want to try, you can get Adobe Reader 7.0.9 from:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html
You will need to select 10.4.3-10.4.10 PowerPC as your OS in order to have Reader 7.0.9 as a download option.

Then once installed you want to associate Reader 7 with the .etd files, which you can do either by uninstalling Acrobat 8, or:
* Find an etd file and do Get Info (command I) on it.
* In the Get Info Dialog "Open With" section, select Reader 7 from the drop down list
* Finally click on the "Change All..." button

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2008 Mar 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that there is now a beta of DE 1.5 available which DOES work on Leopard...

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitaleditions/install/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I accidentally installed the 1.5 Beta on top of my working copy of 1.0 and now I get a DRM error and cannot open new documents. How do I uninstall Digital Editions to start over?

Thank you,

Chris Petersen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines