• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 1,5 Available as Beta on Adobe Labs

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2008 Feb 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is pleased to announce the release of the first Beta version of Digital Editions 1.5.

You can find it here

The Beta is an opportunity for customers to test and provide feedback to Adobe on new features and compatibility with their digital publications.

The key feature of Digital Editions 1.5 is the addition of new DRM support that provides content portability across computers and devices that you authorize with your Adobe ID.

Note: You should be aware that this beta release includes an enhanced version of DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection. If you plan on using Digital Editions for mission critical work, please consider using Digital Editions 1.0.

Key features of the enhanced DRM include:
- Conversion of users content to a Named Authorization license, enabling them to be backed up, copied and read on other computers or devices
- Authorization of end users DRM protected content with an Adobe ID
Writing the secure license into the document
- Existing content is migrated to the new system and newly downloaded content is automatically converted when it is downloaded
- Content portability applies to both PDF and EPUB documents
- Resulting documents can be copied just like any other file
- Documents can be opened on any computer or device which has been authorized by the owner
- The number of machines that can be authorized is controlled by the amount set by the Authorization server (up to 6 computers and 6 devices)
- We have added functionality within Digital Editions 1.5 to support mobile devices. At this time we are working hard on rolling out support for the actual devices which work with Digital Editions, which should become available later this year.
- The number of machines on which a document can be viewed is limited by the number of authorized machines, unless the document has been limited to a single machine by the publisher

Note that authorization with an Adobe ID will not be required in the final release of 1.5, but is *strongly* recommended. If you do not authorize your computer, your content will, as in Digital Editions 1.0, be locked to the computer to which is was downloaded. This first Beta release does not actually offer the option to use the old-style anonymous mode of use, but the next Beta and the final release version will. But Adobe feels very strongly that all users will be best served by authorizing their computers. Adobe does not use the ID for any purpose other than providing the portability by identifying you and your books. The ID is not used for any other purpose, public or private.

Publishers and vendors should note that this release does not alter the fulfillment of ebooks so existing ecommerce workflows are not affected.

In addition to the DRM enhancement, this release of Digital Editions also
Adds support for Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- Fixes a bug in which double-byte (e.g. Asian, some European) users could not use Digital Editions
- Improved PDF support, including more complete support for the Adobe transparency model and support for named pages
- Page map support in EPUB so that there is a mapping between the reflowed screens and the paper copy of a book
- Adds support for multiple books per ETD fulfillment
- Miscellaneous user interface improvements and bug fixes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2008 Feb 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we have instructions for trying a transfer of an ebook from a 1.5 beta system to another with 1.5 beta?

I just attempted to do this. I made an account on one system and downloaded the ebook on it. Next I logged into the same account on the other system and tried to open the book I transfered to "My Documents\My Digital Editions". Since double clicking it opens Adobe Reader, I right clicked the file and selected to open it with Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe Digital Editions opens, but the book does not display and is not shown in the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted a download to my Win XP machine and got the common DRM error. When I closed the program and then re-opened it, to allow DE to authorize the DRM, it then tells me it cannot opened on this machine and to contact the reseller. It also removes the thumbnail from the library.

Also, after installing it you are forced to sign in using your Adobe ID. My understanding was it was a choice but maybe I misread that.

This beta version has a long way to go. I hope these issues will be resolved soon. i know I'm not the only one who has had these problems opening ebooks. I have yet to see how to backup an ebook using this new version.

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all.
Although Ric and I are both fairly active on this forum, this is a User-To-User forum and not an official support forum. For issues with the Beta release you will be better off posting in the Beta forum http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=72&catid=618&entercat=y which we are monitoring more closely.

To McGraw Hill.
I just had our QA run a double check to make sure before answering, but they are able to transfer content between machines and are not seeing the problem you are reporting. Please contact us with particulars so we can try to troubleshoot why it didn't work for you. Also Open With, Drag&Drop, and double click of ePub files will temporarily open the document in ADE. If you want ADE to keep track of the file, you should should select "Add Item to Library" from the Library menu in ADE.

To Jonathan,
It is a requirement for the current Beta of 1.5 that you activate the machine with your Adobe ID, this requirement will be removed in the final release (and maybe even in the next Beta). However, if you do not activate the machine with your AdobeID you will be anonymously activated (aka "Easy Activation" - how 1.0 current works) and all content that you acquire on that machine will be locked to that machine and that machine only. If you change machines or do anything to change your current machines (ie if you reinstall the OS, upgrade the OS, switch hard drives, switch network cards, etc...) you will lose access to that content. So when 1.5 is released Adobe STRONGLY recommends that you activate with your AdobeID.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened Digital Editions and dragged the book into it. The book opened successfully! I have some other issues that I will be emailing.

Activation seems easier than it was in Adobe Reader 7 which is good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send me the sample epub file or sample coding where and how to capture page-map

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Has anyone tried the Page Map support in the Adobe Digital Editions stated as above*?

We tried, but the mime-type "application/oebps-page-map+xml" is not validating and the .ePub does not open up in the ADE.

Any help and suggestions on this is appreciated.

Thank you!
----

* - Page map support in EPUB so that there is a mapping between the reflowed screens and the paper copy of a book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines