• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to download DE update

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2007 Jun 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Digital Editions; today the software says I need to download the update and directs me to this page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#download

When I attempt to download the update, my Adobe DE software is opened and says I need to download the update. When I attempt to download the update I am put back into this same cycle over and over again.

How can I access my DRM book with Adobe DE since I am unable to get the program updated?

thanks - Jack

Jack Greene
jackwgrene@yahoo.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, looks like a lot of people are- Adobe, when can we expect this to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Forum users: please excuse the satire below; it's obviously not directed at you.]

Dear Adobe:

Now tell me once more...why did I decide to use Adobe DE to read my electronic books? Is there anyone out there from your company actually monitoring this situation and this forum? It's been several days now. Might we at least expect an informative communication?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack,

Have you tried uninstalling Digital Editions first, and then going to the download page?

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay So after my acrobat reader 8 digital editions fail with an error message, I have to delete everything and just to be on the safe side, reinstall with a acrobat reader 7

After getting countless error messages "failing to autenticate" when i try to download the flash player 9, i have to resort to downloading the archived flash player version 8.

Then when i get into digital editions page and through the flash player download the digital editions, i get the message "download error"?

What kind of crappy service are you guys running here?

Do you idiots ever have the basic intelligence to at least make sure that one can at least download the digital editions without going through the flash players?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2007 Jun 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To JimLester: Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that (OSX 10.4.10 8-core Intel Mac Pro, also CS3 fully patched including Acrobat 8 Pro), dragging the digitaleditions2x0 folder to Trash and then went to the dl page. It downloaded fine, into the same place, with the same filename but a Date Modified of 6/16/2007.

OK, I've been working with it as I type this, and it worked, but it's running really slowly. Maybe a restart will help.

To everyone else: These forums are user to user forums. There is no official Adobe presence here. Adobe folks like JimLester may read the forums, but aren't obligated to reply. And yelling or making snarky comments certainly isn't going to induce other users to reply to you.

EDIT: A restart, permissions fix and preferences delete didn't seem to help. The version that installed is 1.0.464, not .467 as the Win build was reported to be. And FWIW, it appears to be a screen redraw issue, not slow software. When I issue the next page command the page doesn't appear to change, but if I 'scrub' another window over th DE window the new page appears. Anyone else having a problem like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

464 is indeed the current build number for the Mac builds. The 467 build was Windows only, and was made to fix a specific problem that was found with some older chips (P3 and Athlon equivalents of P3) crashing on launch.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the frozen window issue and at work I'm running an almost similar setup to yours (quad core instead of 8 core, and I haven't installed the 10.4.10 update yet). When I try to reproduce this tomorrow, there are some things that would be interesting to know:

• Are you having similar problems with the stand alone Flash Player (by default at /Applications/Adobe Flash CS3/Players/FlashPlayer.app)?

• Is this particular to Library or Reading View, or to a particular book?

• Does resizing the window force a redraw, or does the redraw only happen with the scrubbing of another window?

Thanks for you patience,

Jim Lester

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Gary Stoltz:

Since there is a person from Adobe kind enough to reply to some of our questions, your point about how the forum operates is not well taken. One tries whatever works. Adobe is not an easy company with which to communicate.

I also don't appreciate being lectured on what I can or cannot do in this forum--unless it is from someone with the requisite authority to do so. Our unhappiness, it seems to me, is legitimate. We should be allowed express that, without some wanna-be vicarious parent taking it upon himself to slap us on the hand. Personally, I want replies only from others who are having a similar problem and may have some useful adivce--not unsolicited admonitions. (Therefore, I'm hoping not to hear from you again.)

Anyone else out there with something specifically helpful to add to solve this problem--or to voice frustrations--is welcome, as far as I am concerned: simply one forum user. Thanks Jim Lester for your advice. But it sounds like the problem continues. As does my concern.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. The one piece of hardware I left out was the 30" Cinema display. The initial window opened to roughly 80% of the screen size, in about the same proportion. Resizing the window larger made it worse, but low and behold, when I shrank the window the app started working almost perfectly.

A number of books won't open now. I assume that's becuase I removed the preference files and the files in ../Library/Application support/Adobe/ along with the app files.

Here's a shot of the window sized larger. Note the redraw goof on the right side of the screen:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketHERE

And Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketTHIS shot shows an artifact to the right of the scroll bar when the window is sized smaller.

Flash Player is working fine, no problems, even with the file maximized on the Cinema display.

I certainly didn't mean to offend with what was simply a reminder of how the forums normally operate. This type of comment is frequently made in the InDesign Mac forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's amazing, if it work with cinemaHDv2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

Thanks again for your help. Which video card are you using, and I assume you're running the 30" display (insert appropriate envious statement here) at full resolution - 2560x1600? Also the screen shots (which were very helpful) were only showing Reading view, did you have the same problems in Library view?

FYI: The files in your ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/voucher directory are needed to open purchased files. Deleting those files is not a good idea (however backing them up is a very good idea), and is indeed the reason why a lot of your books wont open any more.

Alban,

While I won't respond to non-technical questions (such as your first one), I'll try to answer specific technical questions as best as I can (mostly focussing on the Mac, but I also do Windows), when I have time to do so, and when I have something helpful to add. Also, providing more details about your problem (Type of computer, OS, which book, where you bought the book, etc...), makes it easier for me (and others) to figure out what is happening, and means that is more likely you will get a response. So did you have a specific question?

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I am running the Cinema display at full res. I'm also eating a lot of Raman noodles, but it's completely worth the sacrifice.

I restored the vouchers directory (yay, backups!), but the files still won't open. I'm not giving up yet, though. Fix permissions, perhaps?

I do have the same problem in Library view.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here's the full info on my video setup:

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140
Displays:
Acer AL1717:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Cinema HD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Main Display: Yes

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as that listed as the start of this topic. I'm using a Powerbook G4, running OS 10.4.9, and trying to use Safari to download. No luck- every time I go to the DL pag and try, I never leave the page. I don't have any clue how to uninstall to start over. Can I please get some directions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,
Please take a look at the Can't download DE thread, in my responses to Grampa Deane, I covered most of the basic troubleshooting steps for installing on the Mac, including how to manually uninstall Digital Editions before going back to the install page and trying again. Let me know if that doesn't solve your problem.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2007 Jun 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,
At work I have none of the problems I had at home. The update downloaded and installed without a hitch. Here I'm using a Dual 2 GHz PPC G5 with 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM and OSX 10.4.9. Video setup:

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV350
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A13601-126
Displays:
Xerox XL-572D:
Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 75 Hz
Studio Display 21:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz
Main Display: Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a thought on downloading, sorry if its already been posted.

are you using any kind of download tool, like IDM for example?

if so turn it off. also try clicking on the download link with the ALT button pressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tinylion, I am not using any download tool and I tried to press the ALT button but my MacBook showed"download_now.htm".

When I click on the download now bar at http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#download, I am thrown back to the same cycle over and over again and nothing happens.

I bought an eBook and can't read it now because I can't update Adobe Digital Editions. I don't understand all the other geeky stuff that have been written here I hope you can help me understand what I have to do.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

Thanks again for your help in tracking this down. Our QA have been able to reproduce this on a 30" monitor in the labs, and I've been able to reproduce this with a multi-monitor setup at my desk. The magic number appears to be at about 2K pixels in width or height will cause DE to lose track of a redraw region. So the good news is I know where it is and am pretty sure what the fix will be. The bad news is that I don't see a workaround other than keeping your Digital Editions window smaller than 2K pixels by 2K pixels (which is real shame, when you have such a nice monitor), and I can't say when the fix will be out. Mostly because I don't know right now, but also because I leave the making of "forward looking statements" in a public forum to management.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2007 Jun 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I'm glad I could help. The size at which the window is functional is good for me, as I usually have multiple programs open. Thanks to you and your team for being so responsive!

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys just to confirm, I TOO have an 8core (dual quad core) MACPRO with a 30inches cinema display (ACD) and I also was amazed at how and certainly unusable Adobe DE was after I purchased a post production monthly from Peachpit.

I also had the same issues of the circumstance of being regularly requested to downlaod the update

CONFIRM: The workaround in this post of reducing the ACD resolution to below 2k x xxxx seems to work regularly albeit looking less visually effective than at the full 2560 res..

However as I am becoming a regulat user of EBOOKS, I'd like to see if ADOBEwill make an effort to fix this ASAP.

Thanks to Jim Lister for his help.

I am a licenced CS3 premium user BTW..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2007 Jul 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warwick,

Although the reducing the Cinema's Display resolution will certainly work, you don't have use quite that drastic of a measure. The problem is that when the Digital Editions window (not the monitor) is over 2000 pixels in width we start having very bad redraw problems, and since ADE comes up at 80% monitor width - 2048 pixels width on a ACD running native resolution - this triggers the bug. However if after ADE comes up you reduce ADE's window size just a bit (~50 pixels or 3 widths of a scroll bar will do it), it will not have the redraw issues any more. But regardless of the ease of the work around it's a bug and it will be fixed.

Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines