• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SOLVED! Digital Editions upgrade --> Keeps prompting for upgrade

New Here ,
May 13, 2008 May 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded an e-book, and the browser tried to launch it using Digital editions.

I got a message saying I need to upgrade.

So I went to the upgrade site and launched the upgrade to ver 1.5

Now, even after the upgrade, everytime it launches, it seems to be
stuck in a loop, asking me to upgrade again, or quit !!!!

Anyone else face this issue ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same behaviour after instaling ADE 1.5. Can't get access to my numerous books now. I have posted a support request. What a mess.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shahed, please also open a support case (http://www.adobe.com/support/contact). If you could also reply back here with your case numbers I'll follow up.

Also, did either of you have Digital Editions 1.0? What OS are you running?

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here...

I'm stuck in the loop as well:

"There is a new version of Adobe Digital Editions available. To continue using Adobe Digital Editions you must download the update."

De-installing the old version did not help either.

Windows XP as OS and some old version of digital editions was installed. IE7

Obviously, since I cannot launch the product, I don't know the serial number which is needed to start a customer support case. Hence no customer support case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yer having the same problem keep updating and uninstalling no luck, very irritating lost e-books i have paid for and use daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem - and I was in the middle of a book!
I got to the user agreement, supposedly after the update, but it keeps prompting for an upgrade.

For Bentley Wolfe, system info :
I don't know the previous version of ADE
OS windows XP
tried to install from Firefox and explorer7

I also opened a customer support case - #0180184668

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. OS is Vista, yes did have 1.0 but upgraded couple of weeks ago.

Temporary fix - disconnect internet access and ebooks are viewable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post the OS and version, browser you are using. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that your browser is caching the old version information and/or download bits. So please try the following:

If you are using Firefox, go to Tools/Clear Private Data.. then check ONLY the box that says "Cache". Then click OK. Exit your browser and restart it. Try the install again.

If you are using IE, go to Tools/Internet Options... Go to the General tab and Click the button that says "Delete Files..." Make sure the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" is also checked. Click OK. Exit the dialog. Then, to be sure, exit your browser and restart.

Please let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'am using Digital Editions with Acrobat reder 8.1.2 on vista sp1 OS.
I encounter same problem when i want to read ebook.
Digital Editions program prompt a message to propose upgrade for a newer version. After installing, same message occured again and again after each launch.
I have tried to empty cache of my web browser but no result after : same problem occured again.
I'am very in need to finish reading my ebook for an urgent task.
I'am waiting for an help.
Thanks,
Regards

Gilles Mioni (compulsive reader).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to empty cache - doesn't work.
Also disconnecting doesn't work for me.

Also - don't know if it means anything at all - trying to install (repeatedly) from the adobe site, I get a pop-up of the installer license agreement without ADE logo. Then ADE launches and asks to upgrade again or quit.

After quitting, I try hopelessly to relaunch ADE and then I get the installer with the ADE logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems. None of the suggestions work. I've submitted support request. I'm sure that there was a problem the last time adobe upgraded this software. I wouldn't mind but you can't use the old version once the new version comes out. I don't know of any other software that behaves like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2008 May 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with windows xp, firefox and ie, from digital editions 1.5 beta. Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here on desktop with XP Home SP3 and laptop with XP Pro SP2. I am appalled that I had no choice but to go through with this non-functional "upgrade".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue - stuck in an upgrade loop which never results in my actually being able to use Digital Editions. Why do we not have a choice in upgrading?

This is clearly a problem being faced by many users of DE - can this be fixed ASAP? I work in a library and we use the British Library's Secure Electronic Delivery system for accessing certain journal articles; these are delivered electronically to end users. Therefore, this upgrade will be directly impacting on multiple users just within my own institution and none of them will be able to access articles which we have paid for.

I've tried this upgrade on two PCs, both running XP Pro (SP2). One has IE7, one IE6. I have experienced the same problem (repeatedly) on both machines and am effectively locked out of DE altogether (apart from the upgrade loop of course). Oh for the days of Reader 7 (with built in DRM) - DE has been nothing but trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a workaround. I downloaded the zipped exe file available from the following link and replaced the existing digitaleditions1x5.exe file.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403051

I assume that this exe is designed Vista, but it works fine on XP Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I face the same problem! I really need to read my ebooks. Yesterday everything was ok, but today that update request appeared and since then I'm in this everlasting loop for updating. Nothing works! I have sent a support request. Let's see if somebody answers! This is very unpleasant, I hope Adobe will deal with it as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yer that above link works a treat cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Kendall,thanks for sharing your workaround. I have just successfully installed version 1.5 on an XP Professional workstation.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Kendall, tanks allot for the tip, this trick really works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks<br />We suspect that there is a cache on the internet that has not cleared the 1.5 Beta installer, and a few people inadvertently getting that version instead of our 1.5 GM installer. We are working the problem. If you use the workaround above for non-VISTA WIN computer, the path to place the application would be this:<br /><br />C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions1x5<br /><br />The app is the same for all WIN computer.<br /><br />We still recommend trying to clear your computer browser cache of temporary internet files, as Ric Wright posted, as a first possibility to get a fresh installer.<br /><br />Also, if you care to post with your geographical location, that may help us to isloate the internet cache to flush.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Larry M<br />Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem appears widespread with our customers throughout the United Kingdom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spoken to colleagues at several locations in the UK today and they are all experiencing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just tried a clean install on a new machine with direct access to the internet without using our network or proxy servers and are still experiencing the problem.

Does this suggest that the problem is not related to cache?

Windows XP Prof
MSIE
UK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most ISP's like NTL (Virgin) in the UK have their own web cache thats transparent to the end user.

So it may still be a cache issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines