• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not allowed to run old version, can't download new, with MacOS 10.3

New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Powerbook running Mac OS 10.3.9. When I start Digital Editions it tells me that there is a new version and that I must upgrade or quit. However, the new version (1.5) requires Mac OS 10.4 - and I cannot download it even if I wanted. In effect, I can no longer run Digital Editions on my computer. To put it kindly: That is somewhat irritating.
Of course, it works if I shut down internet access, but that's quite awkward.
How do I continue running Digital Editions?
/Jacob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe in this scenario you'll have to switch to Acrobat reader for your ebook content. I'll ping Engineering to see if they have any more specific advise..

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I checked with engineering and this is pretty much how it is.

Digital Editions 1.5 requires OS X 10.4.1 or later. If you use an OS older than this you will no longer be able to use Adobe Digital Editions without upgrading to OS X 10.4.1 or later.

That said, I'm curious if you had some specific reason for not updating to 10.4.1?

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for checking this out!

Well, the reason for not upgrading to 10.4 is simple. It costs money that I don't have to spend.

10.3.9 runs great, and every other piece of software I have allow me to run the versions I have installed. They also run great. Only Digital Editions suddenly refuses to run, for no apparently good reason.

I use Digital Editions to read (time limited) ebooks I borrow at the library. I have not been able to read these with Acrobat Reader.

On a more angry note: I think software that on purpose renders itself useless is very near a kick in the face on the user.

Why can't users have the OPTION to upgrade, like with any other civilized software? Especially when it is obvious that the new version is incompatible with the machine's operating system.

Best regards,
/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Jacob I can't answer that question. I'm just the messenger here, I didn't write the policy. I would say that the product team -is- aware that in some cases this decision is not kindly regarded though.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2008 May 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks for the effort and info.
I know it is not always fun to be the messanger.
Please, kick those responsible in the bottom from me! :-)
br,
/Jacob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 06, 2008 Jun 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sure, when I see them (I work out of my house so I don't often get within kicking range these days....)

Bentley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines