• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old .net passport and New Adobe ID conflict

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2008 Jun 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, I'm not native English speaker, so sorry for my English.

I have very headache job prolonged so long time, let me explain the situation.

I used my laptop, I installed Acrobat Standard 7.0, this has feature of e-book reading capability in itself, I bought several e-books from amazon.com for this machine. At that time, I used .net passport and activated e-books at DRM Active site, https://aractivate.adobe.com/eden/EdenUI.asp?. No problems.

Then, my old laptop screen has been cracked, I had to buy new laptop with Vista OS, I found some malfunction of Acrobat Standard 7.0 under Vista (setting won't be saved), so I had to buy Acrobat Professional 8.0, as you all know, from this version, Acrobat and e-books capability have been separated, then I had to install Digital Editions.

One thing should be noted was, I used .net passport at my old laptop, but personal reason, I used different Adobe ID with different e-mail address from my new laptop. As you all know, most of the people don't use only one e-mail address, I change e-mail addresses (private use) several time when I think I get too many spams, too much exposed to the public. So I changed my e-mail address, then I used different e-mail address.

The simplest solution would be, if there is any way to merge too different ids, my old .net passport id (hotmail.com address), and my new Adobe ID (under gmail.com address) into one, that would be fantastic, from that way, I can verify two different ids under "same" me.

I looked up FAQs and several documentations at the forum, but couldn't find the exactly same case of mine.

I tried several experiments, on my old laptop, I uninstalled all Adobe products, then I installed Digital Edition. But it automatically authorize to my old .net passport address, how can they do this? Can't I change "authorized to"?

From my new laptop, when I install Digital Edition, it automatically authorize my machine to my new Adobe ID! How can they do this? I can't change authorize to address when I install Digital Edition?

Anyway, I can't use my e-books under Digital Edition from my new laptop. I still open e-books from my old laptop but as I said, the screen has been cracked, so I had to connect to CRT monitor, this is horrible.

How can I transfer my e-books from my old laptop with different .net passport id to my new laptop with different e-mail address and Adobe ID? It's OK not reading e-books from my old laptop because I will destroy it as soon as I resolve this proboem. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the question is, is there any way to merge your old .net ID with your new Adobe ID. There's definitely nothing you can do on your end (other than ask!)

I do not know if this is possible. They actually use different servers. The activation process for Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 is a complete rewrite from the activation used in Adobe Reader. They're only minimally related. ADE 1.5 -only- uses an ADOBE ID for named activation. That is why you were forced to activate your machine for ADE 1.5 when you installed the product.

I'll check with Engineering and try to see if there is a way for these accounts to be combined.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Wolfe,

I am having a similar problem as orion73 since my ebooks were authorized using a .NET passport and even though I used the same exact email for my AdobeID, none of my ebooks with Adobe DRM transferred. I'm using Windows Vista on my lap top and am unable to read any of the ebooks. My case support number is Case #0180257673 but honestly the person that responded didn't help at all since I was able to view the ebooks on this laptop prior to the 1.5 DE release.

Can my accounts be merged?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, weirdly enough, the ebooks still work with Adobe Professional 6.0 so I'm completely confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniela,

I looked at the case. Please reply back to the agent and ask that you be escalated to a senior agent. They'll probably ask you to turn on error logging (look in technotes at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions for info) and then send them some info so we can attempt some more sophisticated troubleshooting...

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2008 Sep 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bentley

Do you know if this issue was resolved?

We suspect we have customers who have bought ebooks from us in the past using named activation with a microsoft .net passport - see https://aractivate.adobe.com/eden/edenui.asp for details.

Can you advise what they should do inorder to migrate these ebooks across into Adobe Digital Editions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy,

I don't know if that case was solved (they never got back to me with a case number so I don't konw if they opened a case or not).

You shouldn't -have- to do anything. If you have authorized books attached to a .net activation they should be migrated into ADE 1.5 when ADE is installed. If you have customer who have specific problems then let me know and we can discuss offline.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response Bentley.

If ADE is clever enough to turn an item that was authorised within Adobe Reader with a .NET passport identity into one that is authorised within ADE with an Adobe identity then that is great.

Thanks also for your offer to contact you offline should we get any reports of specific problems.

Regards
Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy,

Just FYI there are caveats for migration:

1.) The files must be able to be opened in Acrobat 7 (or 6) on the machine that the user is going to install DE on. If Acrobat can't read the files, then Digital Editions won't be able to migrate the files - we're not that smart.

2.) The Adobe ID used in Digital Editions must not have been previously used to migrate content (usually on another machine) from either Acrobat 7 or DE 1.0

3.) The ID (Adobe, Passport or Anonymous) used in Acrobat or DE 1.0 must not have been previously migrated to a different AdobeID in DE 1.5

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2008 Sep 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim
Those caveats all seem reasonable.

By the way can I assume that when you refer to Acrobat you are also including Adobe Reader?

Regards
Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2008 Sep 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Andy,
Yes, when I said Acrobat, I also meant Adobe Reader. Sorry for any confusion.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines