• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe lost the plot? Still can't open ebooks purchased on other machines.

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2007 Jun 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ebooks from various different sources and I'm not able to re-download them (Amazon no longer carries Frommers guides in ebook format, Frommers don't sell them directly either and Adobe killed their own store) and since I downloaded them all on a machine that I have since replaced I can't read them!

Today the Digital Editions was officially released and guess what. I tried opening all of my ebooks and this is what I see: "This document cannot be opened on this machine. Please contact the site where you obtained the document to download another copy."

For months the FAQ for the Digital Editions Beta claimed that a future version will enable DRM support for books purchased on other machines. To add insult to injury, not only is the official version still crippled, they've removed any mention of DRM support for books purchased on other machines from the official FAQ.

But hey, soon this piece of garbage will be adware (see the 'Is Digital Editions free for me and my customers to use?' topic in the faq: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/faq)...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2007 Jun 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat I had to reinstall Windows and my entire collection can't be opened, the original sources have vanished like Adobe/Amazon etc. This wasn't a problem when Adobe reader was used to view these items as PDF always open these items but these Adobe CUNTS have now totally FUCKED up my entire digital library and I can't read anything and I have manuals in this format which I need access to at all times. Worse still they make it impossible to contact them to get anything done! Either Adobe comes good or they will be sorry.I'm getting very pissed off with these DRM ASSHOLES and I would advise all comers to copy Adobes very expensive software and ditribute it for free,I certainly would never pay for an Adobe product and always advise my friends never to buy any of Adobe's products under any circumstances!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2007 Jun 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a very dark future for eBooks if this is the way things are going to go. Adobe better get their act together or they are going to make major enemies of distributors of eBooks as well as consumers who can no longer read what they paid for.

And now they want to make it a way of forcing us to read ads?

Is this the Adobe that brought us Photoshop? :-0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2007 Jun 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no problem with a small amount of ads on the software. Why shouldn't some revenue be raised by it? The PDF format in general has bought about a massive change in the way digital information has been made available (the specs of which are available to all to develop compatible applications). I have no idea why we should expect any useful application to be totally free. If the addition of contextual ads keeps the development moving forward then i'm all in favor.

Adobe or should they be called Macrodobia are responsible for so many of the technologies that I use every single day and that have enriched my life for many years that I just can't say a bad word against them.

That said, this ap does need sorting out. There are many issues not least of which are mentioned in the above posts. Look at it this way, at least by having ads to build revenue Adobe have no reason not to continue developing this application and getting it fixed.

I do think this shouldn't have been the final release, it still feels quite beta to me.

cheers
glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2007 Jun 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glenn,

You probably have a point, except for the fact that we pay almost as much, and in some cases as much or more, for eBooks than we would have paid for dead tree versions. The reader is free, but eBooks are not necessarily. I can see it for those free books we've downloaded. (Me? Two or three.)

I like Adobe a lot. I've used Photoshop every day at work since May of 1992 with the release of the Mac Quadra 950.

I'd be glad to pay for a reader that actually worked, without all the muss and fuss. Maybe Adobe could learn a few things from ID Games? "It will be released when it's done." They do that for Photoshop! It's pretty darn bug-free right out of the gate.

Microsoft is breathing down Adobe's neck with alternative technology to PDF. So Adobe can't afford to stumble too much. I'm 100 percent behind PDF and will continue to support them. I pay for my software. I pay for eBooks. I don't want ads when I'm reading a book that cost me $30. Would you?

That issue aside, I want software that works well and doesn't put onerous DRM on eBooks I've bought in the past and Acrobat 7 has no problem opening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2007 Jun 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree,

thats the trouble with using free software I suppose. This should really still be a Beta version I think.

As for the ads, I dont mind. I too pay for ebooks but as long as the ads are out of the way then is wont bother me. the ads on MSN for example dont really get in my way when i use it.

you make a fair point though.

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2007 Jul 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I take it they have not sorted out this issue of not being able to migrate PDFs from computer to computer? I tried to contact technical support and everytime I did they just closed the case saying it was resolved, which it never was.

Rule of thumb, DO NOT BUY eBooks. Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alexander,

Sadly I have come to the same conclusion. The Adobe DRM fiasco proves that Adobe has no clue and doesn't care about their users. I don't like DRM but I understand the need for it and look at Apple, they've been able to come up with a usable DRM scheme in iTunes. You can activate AND DEACTIVATE computers (up to 5) and once a year you can wipe the slate clean (useful if you've forgotten to deactive your computer before reformatting when upgrading your OS for example or if you've suffered a crash). I can play my DRM protected music on any of the 4 machines I regularly use at work and at home and I can move my music as my machines get upgraded / reformatted as I please.

I'm in the process of getting refunds for my past ebook purchases that I can't download again (and therefore read on my new Vista machine) and will never buy another ebook that uses Adobe technology again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2007 Sep 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

&otI purchased a school book (far more expensive than $30!) and hate not being able to read the document in my favorite PDF reader - Preview. During the installation of Digital Editions (or maybe during the download of my book), an additional file was put on my desktop. When I cleaned off my desktop, I got rid of the file. Now a message pops up saying "This document cannot be opened on this machine. Please contact the site where you obtained the document to download another copy.;

It was either that or some kind of bug when I tried to print a page and the reader froze up and began maxing out my processor for about five minutes. I force-quitted and restarted the app. Either way, now it won't open my book!

There was definitely not enough warning that my book might break or that my use of my textbook would be way more restrictive than just buying a used book for about the same price! What am I supposed to do? I can't afford a new book now and can't pass my class without the book either.

DRM is like a company "forcing" someone to use a key to enter their own house in a safe neighborhood. The key also only opens certain rooms dictated by the power-tripping company. In the meantime, hackers and others can cut through DRM like butter and can roam freely about their stolen house. The end result is loss of functionality and enjoyment for good honest people and cheap kicks for hackers and people that don't have the same impedance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2007 Sep 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey-

We'd like to help you sort this out if possible. From the sounds of your description you were able to open the book initially but it failed subsequently? The file that got downloaded is the ETD file but it is not needed after the book is successfully downloaded (so deleting it is fine). Can you submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/? Thanks, Ric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2007 Dec 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am absolutely sick of being stung by Adobe for more and more money. I hate this company. I have just bought a new printer and it will not print from indesign - the solution on the site is - why not update to cs3 - just like that as if it doesn't cost anything at all to do so. I am one of the people who have kept the company in business by not using illegal software and so am penalised for this by having to still keep buying Adobe products to try and rectify their mistakes. I guess i will just be spending more and more money to them as they have us all over a barrel.

keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith-

Please contact Adobe support directly at

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

I will also send you an email. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2007 Dec 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebuilt my computer. Hard drive content is the same. Cannot read my eBooks anymore. I bought those books and haven't finished one of them. I still have my invoices for those purchases from amazon.com. I still can read those invoices but not the books. They're being secured against me by Adobe. Can anyone fix this? Reactivation gives me the same:
Solution: Return to the retailer, library, or other location where you acquired the document and obtain permission to open it on this computer.

Amazon doesn't keep these items in the so called Digital Locker anymore.
I feel like being robbed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2008 Jan 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tibor- Did you "activate" your computer when you bought the ebooks? That process of activation converts the ebooks license from your computer owning the ebooks to your ID owning the ebooks. If you did not activate the computer, then their was not apparent owner other than the computer and the computer's ID was tied to its hardware. As you have now changed the hardware, the computer is essentially different. Hopefully, you did activate the computer.

Please submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/, if you would like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tried to start to reload my collection again after switching computers due to hardware failurefrom e-book. com.
the following message appeared in the my digital editions file. it is saved as a notepad file

Thu Jan 3 22:09:36 2008 UTC
Rebuild Bookshelf Starting...
Rebuild Bookshelf Phase 1 complete.
Rebuild Bookshelf Phase 2 complete.
Rebuild Bookshelf results:
Initial Document candidates: 0
EBX Document not imported due to Activation Error: 0
Acrobat EBX PDF imported: 0
Acrobat EBX PDF failed to import: 0
ADE EBX PDF imported: 0
ADE EBX PDF failed to import: 0
Other Acrobat PDF imported: 0
Policy Server or Acrobat Password-protected failed to import: 0
ADE EBX ePUB imported: 0
ADE EBX ePUB failed to import: 0
Plain ePUB imported: 0
Plain ePUB failed to import: 0
---- end Rebuild Bookshelf results ----

Thu Jan 3 22:09:37 2008 UTC
Rebuild Bookshelf Phase 3 complete.
---- end Rebuild Bookshelf ----

i have approx 60 books to dounload so any help please.
thanks sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just purchased an ebook online and what a stupid mistake i made, i will never buy another ebook again and Adobe's software, particularly this dumb Digital Editions Rubbish.

What good is it for portability when you cannot even transfer that ebook you purchased to another computer of yours especially your laptop?. I happened to have 6 pcs and one laptop in my home.

Please for sanity's sake fix this problem once and for all. We are NOT proud of your software anymore.

Extremely Disappointed User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured out one solution atleast. Role back to Adobe Acrobat 7. When you try to open the ebook, then it will ask 3 options "re-register blah blah .., or option 2 or option 3" Options 3 is that you will never upgrade or use the re-registration (something like that). Choose that option and vola! the ebook opens nice and easy.

The Adobe support gave me the run around for 2 days "trying to understand the problem". The should be just fired for not testing their product and then not be able to support it either - incompetency at its highest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2008 Nov 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to be looking into filing a lawsuit against adobe digital editions. I will be seeking compensation for the cost of lost e-books. My software had an issue and I made a complete back up of my drive then had to wipe it and reinstall windows now none of the e-books will work due to the error the license has already been used by another user. If it is REQUIRED that authorization be done to prevent loss, as I have since found out reading literally hundreds of posts with the same issue, then I feel it is negligent on the part of Adobe not to REQUIRE authorization. If Adobe chooses to ignore it's customers pleas for help with this issue I feel that the company has left us the consumers no choice but to take matters higher.

feel free to contact me at trigger73@hotmail.com subject line should read Digital Editions issue.

Thank you
Gordon Simmons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vijay,

Thanks for the practical help with this problem! How do you "roll back" to AA 7?

Lane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2008 Dec 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds familiar..Adobe has taken a leaf out of Sony..ther are famous for killing thier own products by restrictive DRM..In the end, Ipod won and Sony had to eat crow, shelve their DRMed product and give compatitbility to ipod based products..
So Adobe..are you going to be another Sony..and ruin yourselves ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2009 Jan 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a new computer after my old hard drive fried. Thankfully I backed up my files (including purchased ebooks). Now I keep getting the same "This document cannot be opened on this machine..." message that everyone else in this group seems to be getting. As the purchased ebooks were quite expensive - and I don't wish to have to pay for them twice - how do I rectify the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damian,
Transferring content between machines only works with Digital Editions when you have authorized with an AdobeID. If you authorized your old machine and the new machine with the same AdobeID, then you will be able to transfer the content.

If however you did not authorize Digital Editions on you old computer with your AdobeID, then all the content you purchased is locked to that machine and cannot be transferred. If this was the case, then your only recourse is to contact the tech support for where you purchased the books.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a Sony Reader for Christmas -- great. Then I bought some ebooks from ebooks.com and find I can't download them!

I have
- uninstalled and reinstalled the Reader
- uninstalled and reinstalled and authorised the Adobe Digital Editions
- checked I have the right requirements on my compuer
- talked to Sony. They say they only 'support' Waterstones for ebooks, but gave me a telephone number for Adobe
- Adobe say it's more Sony's fault than theirs but gave me the number -- kb404652 -- for this page

.... and the ebooks I have paid for still won't download.

I think this is what my father would have called a bugger's muddle and we will have to wait until Sony/Adobe get their act together.

Any opinions/hints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jenny,

Make sure that you install the EBL software from SONY that came with your SONY Reader before you install Adobe Digital Editions. The EBL software includes device drivers that allow Digital Editions to "see" the hardware as a bookshelf. Once you install EBL, the hardware should be recognized by Digital Editions as a "bookshelf" in the application and then you should simply be able to drag your books from Digital Editions onto the SONY Reader.

Nick
--
Nick Bogaty
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have digital editions on my old computer. The pdf files that I'm referring to are from 2002 when I was in school.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines