• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External Drive

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2008 Aug 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how/if possible to install digital editions on an external drive so I can read my books on other computers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2008 Aug 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are complicated procedures for sharing books, just putting them
on a shared disk won't do.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 02, 2008 Sep 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Editions 1.5 DOES support content portability, IF you've authorized with an Adobe ID. You're allowed to install and authorize ADE 1.5 on up to six devices per Adobe ID.

So just install on both, then use the procedures on http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#transfer_items to move your book content..

I've made an update to "You can only open or read eBooks on one computer (Digital Editions)" at http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402749 to try to make this more clear...

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2008 Sep 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bentley,

Glad to see that a techie from Adobe is here.

Disprove this hypothesis for me please. I'm a Keller Grad School (DeVry University) MBA student.

We download our books through our school's intranet. I wasn't paying close attention when I signed up for my Microsoft Passport and downloaded the first few chapters. I used one email address for that. Later on, I forgot what I used and registered myself again and this time, used a different email address.

I save the files to my flash drive. I'm unable to make the activation procedure (of identifying myself on the original computer) work.

My hypothesis is that DeVry bought a master license through e-Follett or Adobe and regardless of the registration of the individual student, the student's ownership won't be confirmed for this reason:

When DeVry bought a master license, it only specified the number of seats or licenses it was buying (say 10,000). It did not specify the individual names of the students since, naturally, it didn't know their identities beforehand.

Any ebooks downloaded through DeVry's intranet therefore are licensed to DeVry and not to the individual student. That means that all attempts to take ownership of the downloaded material will fail since Adobe will not recognize the individual identities of DeVry's students.

In addition, the fact that I have two email identities registered through your DRM is immaterial.

I hope you understand the background of my question. If not, please email me directly at alexcooper1@yahoo.com. In fact, please email me the answer too in addition to posting it in this forum. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 03, 2008 Sep 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Alex, can you open a support web case please? I don't have the bandwidth to answer you directly just now...

To open a Digital Editions 1.5 Technical Support case, please use the contact links at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

(that said, I've worked with other Devry students who -do- have individual licenses... I don't think there's even a concept of a master license in Digital Editions.. I don't know anything about what the old ebook reader plugin in Acrobat v6 and v7 did though..)

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines