• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing looks like crap since I was forced into updating Digital Editions.

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2008 Oct 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never liked this program to begin with, and after fighting with the software for a long time on my Macintosh with it randomly crashing and just out right closing itself, I determined that the only way to read my Digital Editions eBook was going to be to remove it from digital editions, so I printed it as a PDF and read the PDF happily and move on.

Today I bought a second eBook and was forced pretty well at gunpoint to upgrade (seriously, what kind of *crap* is this?? What if I don't have administrator rights? Nobody should EVER be FORCED to upgrade something... the auto updater for Adobe CS3 is already intrusive enough!)

Now that I've upgraded printing both to a PDF and a regular printer is unacceptably blurry and compressed looking. This has to be the worst experience ever with Adobe software and I've been using Adobe software since Photoshop 3.0 on a Macintosh Quadra 605. I PAID to be able to PRINT my eBook and the printout it yields is unacceptable. Nobody could read what the new digital editions prints out and not get a headache from it. The eBook is vector text, the print command should send that vector text to the printer!

How can I either make my printed eBook look legible or get all my money back from the eBooks that have now changed from being printable to non-printable? (And I do consider anything from Digital Editions to now be "non printable" since the printout isn't worth anything.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. My MBA courses often use textbooks distributed in Digital Editions format. Since the application demanded to be updated to 1.6 before allowing my textbooks to be opened, the printouts have looked horrible.

The issue is not the text is blurry because it's converted to a bitmap first. It's converted to a horrible quality bitmap. A page printed on the same computer with the same printer in version 1.5 looks crisp and sharp; printed with version 1.6 today, it's frustrating and cumbersome to read.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Adobe is making a good case for how DRM only refers to the rights of providers and not to the rights of purchasers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I did some asking around about this, and it's a legit breakage in v1.6. Should be addressed in 1.7 (but I'm not sure when that will come out at this point)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines