• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.acsm file format converter??

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for an ebook in the .acsm ( Adobe Digital Edition) format and did read it very well and it wont load into my sony reader as I only have the 500 not the new one. Is there any way to change the file format to either .pdf or .txt??? Because I would really like to read this book.

Thanks for any replies.
TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book.
In Digital Editions you can find the path to the book in the Item Info dialog. You can bring up the Item Info dialog from the Reading Menu (in Reading View) or pressing Ctrl+I (Cmd+I on the Mac).

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2009 Jul 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to convert the current format of Adobe ebooks to something other than the format they come in (acsm) to read them on something other than our computers?   I still can't get over how Adobe left all of us who love to read books on our pdas high and dry by switching everything at the end of March.  They also screwed themselves, because they'll lose money from those of us who would have bought the Adobe ebooks not buying them because we can't read them on our pdas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your adobe editions is BS. I paid for a PDF version of a book on informit/safari online and got this piece of crap. I should have to download your software to read pdfs that I paid for. You guys rot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I have ADE 1.7.2. and have downloaded a .acsm file, however when I attempt to open that file with ADE I get the message "Sorry, the file you are attempting to open cannot be opened by digital editions" . . . . . . why is that please sir?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2011 Mar 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is about the fact that I paid for my ebooks and I cannot read them other then over Adobe Digital Editions.

I cannot sync with my iPad because only Sony reader is supported. In other words my rights over the ebooks are nonexistent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

"The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book."

I know this was an answer you gave 3 years ago to a slightly different question but, but, I have a PocketBook 602 ereader which is misbehaving with .acsm files. Your answer clarified my understanding of the acsm file being a key and not the epub or pgf file comprising the book.

After side loading a library (borrowed) book from my computer, the PB goes out into wifi land and verifies that it is a legal copy etc, as it should. As long as the file remains open I can continue to read the book. If I switch to another book and then back again, the PB goes out and verifies itself again. If it is not online, then it fails to retrieve the book file e.g. the epub.This means of course that on a journey, I can only read one library book at a time unless I have an internet connection. Not good.

Adobe Digital Editions on my computer will allow me to read the same book off line as long as it has been verified once. I assume this is the way it is meant to be.

How can I get  the Adobe software to behave properly on the PB as it does on the computer?

Thanks,

John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Lester,

I think Adobe should require all e-book sellers to note that a file is not ".pdf", but actually ".ascm". I just purchased an e-book for the first time, which was listed in ".pdf" format. I figured that I paid for it, so I could just print it and read it or load it on my phone(I don't have time to sit at a computer).

I understand licensing concerns, but there needs to be a change...

Sincerly,

Baron Dugger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Mr. Lester, but let me give it a try. (Jim no longer works for

Adobe BTW)

The '.ascm' isn't the .pdf file - it's a set of keys that tell ADE where the

file is and other information about it. Think of it as the address of the

ebook on the shelves of the library. This is the method that was agreed

upon to implement the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 - and there

won't be any changes to it.

We have to adjust our way of thinking in the digital age, because technology

has imposed its own methods on what we used to do in person. There's not

many ways to get around using a computer to do what you used to be able to

do when you visited your library or bookstore. So, the change that needs to

take place is not in the system, but with the users of the system.....

Sorry!

=================

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Referring back to my comments on 14 April:

Is my problem with Adobe's code as used by Pocket Book or with my Pocket Book 602 itself?

John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 28, 2013 Dec 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can read these ACSM files directly on our PC, but if we want to read these files on Sony eReader, we have to convert ACSM to PDF ( or ePub).

That is not quite correct.  When running on the PC the .epub/.pdf file is automatically loaded by Sony Reader or ADE,

and it is the  .epub/.pdf file that you are actually reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  I had four books and unable to load them.

Regards, Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with the .acsm file I just borrowed. It will not upload to Digital Editions. It keeps getting kicked over to Adobe DC and will not accept .acsm. Any suggestions, before my head explodes?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I still have an issue, I have found teh downloaded file but when I open it with adobe reader 8 it just pops up a web page telling me to download digital edition. So I cant read it in adobe reader :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not find where my ebook is. I found the .acsm file but it does not show up in ADE. How do I get it to show up there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2008 Oct 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is expected. Content Server 4 protected ebooks can not be opened in either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and can only be opened in Digital Editions.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried double-clicking the eBook I purchased and it brought up ADE, <Initializing>, "Error getting license, license server communication problem, e-lic-resource unknown" error message is received.<br /><br />I tried accessing directly through ADE, and I can not see the eBook in the dialog box.<br /><br />TYIA!!<br /><br />Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the trick: The "acsm" file is just the KEY to get access to your new ebook... so is like this --- key + door = ebook

your key: acsm (file)

your door: is the adobe digital edition
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

your ebook: double click in your acsm (file)
"AFTER YOU INSTALL THE ADOBE DIGITAL EDITION OF COURSE"

and that's it...just remember to make the new adobe program work you have to sign in with adobe the installation wizard it will ask you for that

good luck

atte CIRDATIGO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all that and it STILL asks me what program to open it with and none are working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David's problem is same as mine. Adobe Digital Edition is installed, and double clicking 'acsm' file gets the same error message. As follows:

IO Error on Network Request.
Please check your network connection and try again.

Network Path:
http://ebook.lightningsource.com/TitleDownload/LSCFD.dll?hdlr=ADEPT&sku=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&r=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Event Detail:
Error #2038
--- end ---

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - replaced actual details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2008 Dec 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

That error indicates that DE couldn't get at that web site. Typical problems for this include general connectivity, firewalls between the site and you, and personal firewalls on the system blocking DE in specific.

I would try to get at http://ebook.lightningsource.com in a web browser, and when you get that to succeed, you will probably need to contact tech support for the place where you bought the book from and get them to reissue you a new .acsm file.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I had already checked my connections. I was able to access http://ebook.lightningsource.com, so it must be something else. Possibly a link problem from the supplier?! I have contacted them as suggested.

Kind regards
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,
If you are able to get to the site in the browser, but are still getting the 2038 error in DE, the next most likely problem is that an application level firewall on your computer such as (but not limited to) ZoneAlarm (Windows) or Little Snitch (Mac) is preventing DE from making an outgoing HTTP connection. Please check your computer configuration for any such programs and if they exist, enable outgoing connections for DE.

Another less likely possibility is that you are using a proxy connection to the Internet, and have it set up correctly for your preferred browser but not for the system as a whole. For instance if you are using Firefox, also check to make sure can get to the site using IE (Win) or Safari (Mac).

If this still doesn't work, I would suggest that you open up a support case, so that Bentley and crew can get more information form you (and so that this can be tracked appropriately).

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

I had an old copy of Little Snitch which had been installed but not used. I deleted the program restarted and download worked fine.

Thanks for your help
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i bought an acsm book pretending it to be pdf....i installed DE and its ok but is there a way to convert it to pdf and print it as it is inconvenient for me to read digitally

many thanks

dorita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines