• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard support

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Editions seems to stop responding to navigation keystrokes (arrow keys, page up, page down) at what appear to be random intervals.

Tabbing back and forth, have tried clicking(left and right) on every single pane / child control within the application to no avail. In the end, I have to restart the application. This is incredibly annoying. Keyboard support is disappointing.

Even using mouse, the controls don't behave like standard Windows controls, e.g. the scroll bar. Clicking on the inactive part of a scroll bar should produce the equivalent of a page-down, instead it scrolls down a single line incredibly slowly. Why isn't support for digital editions just integrated into the main Acrobat program? Digital editions seems like an unnecessary addition.

Also, are you aware that your program installs itself to the "Application Data" under the User account? I hope you have a good reason to do this, since last time I checked, this folder is only supposed to store *DATA*, not *EXECUTABLES*. You couldn't have possibly installed to the Adobe Folder under Program Files. That would make too much sense.

Design and implementation decisions that would make a graduate with a mail order degree in computer science scratch their head in confusion.

Sorry to be so brutal, but its these kind of things that should easily be caught in the Q&A phase of development.

Cordially yours,
Shaun

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2009 Jan 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having a similar problem, running Vista Home Premium SP1.

All keyboard input (arrows, pageup/down, shortcuts, even the function keys) are not responding. Tried clicking to shift focus to every window, even tried using the shortcut keys F5 and F6, but to no avail. Only solution appears to be restarting the program.

Also appears to happen randomly. I was just scrolling down to a read a bit further with the down arrow when suddenly is stopped working.

I also have to agree with the OP about the location of the program. Is this a limitation of installing it through Flash? I accidentally deleted the files for it when running CCleaner (I've since added it as an excluded file) and unexpectedly found myself unable to read my ebooks (I didn't have internet access at the time). Rather unintuitive and unexpected.

Regardless of a few hiccups, I do appreciate the work you guys put into Digital Editions. For a student like me, it's progress like this that makes college slightly more affordable by expanding publisher confidence in ebooks ;)

(P.S. Sorry if this is considered a large bump for these forums. This was the only result I could find via searching, so I thought it was worth bringing back into the light)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having problems with the keyboard not responding intermittently while I am reading an ebook. The only solution I have found is to restart the program. It is occurring frequently, every 10 pages. Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting to confirm that this bug still exits in ADE 1.7

Here's some more information that I've been able to gather through experimentation. My method was:

1) Freshly open ADE and open an ebook to its first page
2) Set the view mode to "Fit to Width"
3) Press and hold the down arrow until the page ceases to scroll

Using this method on several different ebooks, it seems ADE stops responding to keyboard input after surprisingly consistent page counts.

The first ebook I tried stopped almost exactly between pages 16 and 17 every time. There couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 lines deviation between each trial.

The second ebook I tried was a history book, with pages 5-8 filled with high-quality, slow loading maps. This ebook consistently stopped right as the top of page 17 hit the top of the window, suggesting that images aren't the primary culprit, since it got a little further.

The actual width of the window that the book is being stretched to display within does seem to have a minor effect (no more than half a page) on where the scrolling stops, but it doesn't seem to be a linear relationship (e.g. it isn't as though the smaller the window, the further it scrolls before stopping)

Using the "Fit Single Page" view as opposed to the Stretch to Width view, there appeared to be no problems with keyboard input. I flipped (it doesn't actually scroll the pages, just jump discretely between them) through an entire 176 page history ebook and back without the bug appearing.

Hopefully this information will help you guys/gals track down a fix.

Regardless, nice work moving the install directory to somewhere more common. Hopefully it will solve some of the installation problems folks have been having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,
Thanks, good steps to reproduce always helps. I'll try this when I get in, in the morning and update the bug accordingly.

--
Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, are you aware that your program installs itself to the "Application Data" under the User account? I hope you have a good reason to do this, since last time I checked, flv to video converter this folder is only supposed to store *DATA*, not *EXECUTABLES*. You couldn't have possibly installed to the Adobe Folder under Program Files. That would make too much sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is now 2011, I am using Adobe Digital Edition 1.7.1131 and this is still happening.  Is there any intention of fixing the problem?  Every 10 pages or so, I have to create a bookmark, close the program and then restart it again to get back keyboard control of the down arrow.  I checked the site and it appears that I am using the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines