• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find Digital Editions Folder

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2007 Jul 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try to open the program, I get the message "Cannot find Digital Editions Folder". The program appears to be open to me, however it is completely unusable. My e-books appear as blank gray books, and I can't open them or read them. I've un-installed and installed the program 3 times. Someone please help! I want to read my books.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same message!!!!!!!!! Can anyone help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!!
I was running Adobe Reader Version 8. Once I uninstalled Digital Editions, uninstalled Version 8, and reinstalled Adobe 7, it worked fine. Just don't upgrade to 8 after that, and don't install Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2007 Jul 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can those of you encountering this problem give us some details? We have been unable to reproduce this problem. Could you please answer these questions:

- What type of machine (Mac, Windows)
- What OS? What version
- Type of CPU?
- Have you recently upgraded or changed your OS?
- Are you a normal or admin user, or are you a managed user (e.g. you log onto a general machine on campus)?

Thanks, Ric Wright, DE Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ric

To answer your questions

- Windows XP Professional
- Dell Optiplex 320
- Recently bought by work several months ago
- I am part of a network at work where we share a server.

I am using Adobe 8 and as mentioned DE won't let me view books etc.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2007 Jul 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try looking for it in documents& settings > your user profile > Local Settings > Application Data

should be somewhere in there.don't remeber exactly because i already deinstalled digital editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2007 Aug 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another solution, if you don't want to uninstall Adobe 8.0. Just create a new folder "My Digital Editions" in your "My Documents" folder. The installer doesn't seem to have done that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris

That seems to have worked!! Simple yet very effective!!!

Cheers
Chris C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2007 Sep 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, that worked fine. I downloaded Digital Editions in Firefox on a Windows XP (Toshiba Qosmio - Intel CPU). Normal user. The 'My documents' folder is on a external drive E: Maybe that's the reason why it didn't create a Digital Editions folder.

Anyway, to the people of Adobe: If you give an error message like 'Cannot find the Digital Editions Folder' it would be better to tell us where this folder should be.

It's a good thing this forum was here.

Thanks
Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2007 Sep 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error message running on:

Windows 2K (SP4)
Adobe Reader 8

If one user (with admin rights) logs in get above error; any other user logs onto same machine (including those with non-admin) works fine. Have tried re-installing DE; still nothing.
User having problems appears to have all the same folders/permissions as other users. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2007 Oct 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is terribly, horribly annoying... i have spent three evenings after work trying to donwloan, uninstall, etc. adobe reader 7 and 8 so that i could read abode digital editions book.. but the not "could not find digital editions folder" still appears and apperas... i cannot say how angry i am with this terrible nonsence and waist of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were trying to sort out this problem for staff at an NHS Education Centre and still couldn't get to the bottom of it; on some PC's it will work for some users, on others it won't. Absolutely ridiculous ... and no help from Adobe. Its cr*p software like this that causes us no end of problems, wastes extortionate amounts of time and makes us look bad infront of customers... and all down to the dreaded curse of DRM/Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the people encountering this problem please submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Mr. Ric,

why did you delete my unhappy messages about Adobe digital editions? You also say to write you an email personally, to those who encounter problems..so i did write you an email..but no reply....

so how long it will last till you delete this my message in the forum too and appear as nothing wrong is happening/ you r solving the problem (which you don't)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, sorry i see you didnt delete my previous message.. I'm just tired of trying to solve this problem all evening today myself...

so..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2007 Nov 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been away for a week or so, but I am not seeing any emails from Gintare. I will send a direct email to Gintare M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2008 Jan 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've just intalled Digital Editions and have had the same problem.

I don't have a Digital Editions Folder in My Documents. I have this mapped to a different partition and it doesn't seem to have picked this up on installation.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem for me. sent an email. any resolution on this?

WinXP Pro latest SP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same message 'cannot find digital editions folder. I am at university, and kept being told my my library that the downloads would be in this folder, and like a number of you I did not have one. This must be an inherent problem with this software, however, once I made a folder in my documents everything worked fine - it just took three days to work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2008 Feb 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because my "My Documents" folder is a shared folder it wouldn't work. I just created a My Digital Editions folder on my desktop and then moved the icon into it. When I tried to download the book it worked. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2008 Feb 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen, thank you very much for the suggestion. Myrna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2008 Feb 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick followup from those of you having the "Could not find Digital Editions folder". I have confirmed and fixed (in 1.5) the problem with having a "My Documents" directory on a network folder (either file server or a shared folder on someone else's computer). The problem was the code interpreting the permissions returned from Windows a bit more strictly than Windows Explorer does (being maybe too picky since were an internet accessible application which lead to the failure of creating the Digital Editions folder) - and not surprisingly the workaround reported here by Chris and Karen does indeed fix the problem in the meantime.

However, I am worried that there is another problem that I haven't found yet. Karen mentioned that her My Documents directory was shared as a reason for the problem. I haven't figured out how to make this problem occur on a single computer regardless of if the "My Documents" directory is shared or not. If anybody is having this problem please respond on the forum, or submit a support incident at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/.

Thanks
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2011 Jan 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 17, 2011

It appears that this problem is alive and well. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, and have spent the best part of 2 days trying to address this bug. Jim,  is there an ADOBE verified solution to this problem ?

I'd suggest that this is a major impediment to the acceptance of Digital Editions in a consumer market. I am a tech savvy experienced user and have found this process extremely frustrating and unproductive. Is it time to ask for a refund for the PDF I have purchased and to ditch Digital Editions ?

Pierre O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem exists for years already and ADOBE does not feel that they

should solve this apparently. After struggling with this problem for

days/weeks, I used the solution of someone else on the forum and that is to

make a new users account on your pc and install Digital Editions there. It

works for me!

Success!

Lineke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2011 Jan 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got Adobe to work by creating a new account on my computer and installing Adobe there WITHOUT redirecting the Documents folder.  It seems Adobe can't handle redirected Documents folders.

I have been able to avoid using Adobe altogether by using my Sony Reader software.  This software can open .ascm files, which is what you get when downloading a DRM-protected ebook from the public library.  Maybe you have equivalent software which will let you avoid Adobe.  I agree that Adobe deserves to lose it's ebook customers based on its abominable support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines