"Adobe Digital Editions installer is already running"

If I run it WITHOUT the /s switch, then it installs fine

I have tried this on multiple machines - Windows XP 32 bit service pack 3

Any thoughts or comments from Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback,

We didn't test against or design for silent mode (the switch handling came in from the installer framework).

I've entered in a bug so that we can decide to either properly support silent mode, or at least ignore the command line switch without causing an error.

In the mean time, as you noted the easy workaround is not to us the /s switch.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,
Many thanks for the feedback. It is slightly worrying that following a procedure listed in an official Adobe PDF http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/pdfs/DigitalEditions_1x7_Standalone_Installation.pdf should cause an error and not be supported.

We are looking at having to deploy this software to around 900 machines so that our students can access documents from the British Library and we simply do not have the manpower to do each install by hand. We would appreciate an automated way to deploy the software using our chosen deployment too Altiris Deployment Solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually,
I just got slapped around by our QA Manager a bit (figuratively), they did indeed test against all the options (/S included). We also just noticed that you specified /s instead /S (the case matters). When we try with lowercase s we get the same behaviour that you noted, however when we try with upper case /S (as documented) it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also just updated the online documentation (noted above) to be even more explicit that the switches are case sensitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jim,

Many thanks, we have now got a VB script which will run the installer with the /S switch and this seems to be working happily with our Deployment Solution tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines