• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portability of Purchased Books Question?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a couple ebooks and downloaded them onto my work laptop. I would like to view them from home on my home PC as well. Is it true that I'm out of luck? e-books.com's e-mail letter states that the books I downloaded can only be read on one computer.

I thought the purpose of e-books was to emulate real books. I can carry a book from the office to my home and read it whereever I choose. Why am I limited with a digital version? Wouldn't it make MORE SENSE to allow the user to download a purchased book to more than one computer that he/she uses? i.e. user based licensing and not hardware specific.

I'm new to this media so if you know of a way to move an e-book from one computer to another I would appreciate the tip. I posted a note about using a tumb drive, then I could take the book, bookmarks... from PC to PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2007 Aug 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current DRM implementation does not allow you to view the books on more than one computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2007 Aug 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick follow up:

Does the DRM implementation allow for backup and restore of ebooks? What is the correct procedure regarding Adobe ebooks when you buy a new computer and want to continue reading them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put, they do not have a procedure. I'm stuck with the same problem. I've purchased an e-book online and can't view it on other machines. Even more, the publisher won't let me print it (I still prefer reading it on paper), so I always need to be next to my machine.
This DRM sucks, I'm sorry to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2007 Oct 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working hard on a solution for this as I type. Please see the recent post on named activation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I also just purchased an ebook online and what a stupid mistake i made, i will never buy another ebook again and Adobe's software, particularly this dumb Digital Editions Rubbish.

What good is it for portability when you cannot even transfer that ebook you purchased to another computer of yours especially your laptop?. I happened to have 6 pcs and one laptop in my home.

Please for sanity's sake fix this problem once and for all. We are NOT proud of your software anymore.

Extremely Disappointed User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines