• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion Structure and a HTML Table

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work, I was required to create a report. We do not have the ColFusion report tool so when we are creating reports we use the <cfdocument> tags. I will explain now what my structure was about. I was required to break down the students in a school by grade then within each grade (1,2,3,etc), break them down by race (white, hispanic, black, asin, pacific islander etc) then within each race break them down by curriculum code (special ed, regular ed, etc etc). So I created my structure and guys you should have seen my smile when I dumped my structure and saw that beautiful structure in blue and black font on my browser.......then my smile was even wider (ear to ear) when i ran my query against the school data and I got the correct results. My smile disappear when I wanted to display that "crosstab" in my cfdocument. It looks and sounds like if I needed to create a business object from scratch but I really thought there was a way for me to manipulate the rows and columns of an html table dynamically according to the data that they were receiving form my structure.

After 7 days of my time a two projects backed up for the company my boss asked to stop and after analyzing from top to the bottom the case we both concluded that it was a nightmare to do unless we had a reporting tool. I can't stop thinking aobut this problem even though it was 3 weeks ago. I even dream about the freaking sutuation. I want to get it done! I know I am being hard on myself but you guys understand the developer's pride, specially if that developer is a "rookie" like me. So I am posting this here to see if someone gives me an idea for me to get this done. Even though it's in a drawer I want to put my teeth on that "bone" again! The format of my document was just as follows: a) Setting my variables and functions, b) creating the structure c) HTML crap c) cfoutput and cfdocument tags and within then the header of my report, an a table to hold my values. That's where my smile disappeared for almost 2 weeks!

If someone has some insights on this matter, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2007 Oct 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely do-able using cfdocument and html. I've got a few successful reports that are similiar in scope to what you are talking about.

I will be glad to help because I too see code in my sleep when I can't get something done. However, I would really need to see the code to be able to help at all. If you don't want to post the code here you could email it to me. My email is my screen name here without the a...at hotmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 16, 2007 Oct 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Aredovian,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just e-mailed you code samples and pdf files with the test output so you can see the two approaches I followed here.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Aredovian! I got the report up and running thanks to your feedback. I can now sleep in peace! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation