• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved

New Here ,
May 16, 2008 May 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved, but has lost some image data. Please report this error to Adobe Technical Support.

How do i fix this, there are no images in the document

thanks

emma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really helpful if you provided your FM version and system info...

Does it happens consistently with all files, or a particular file?
Are there any graphics on Master or Reference pages?

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you have to report this to Adobe yourself. This forum is for non-Adobe employees. Although the most likely join from time to time.

What do you mean by "writing imported graphics"? Do you import graphics as By Reference or Copy into Document?

You should choose the first, since this means a reference to an external image/graphic meaning this file cannot be deleted if your FM doc gets scrambled. Of course you can delete the image directly from the Explorer, but that is entirely up to you.

Image imported as Copy into Document becomes part of the document. This means that the doc grows in size, and as with any other piece of software I have encountered the past 25 years, this will eventually lead to disaster. Often referred to as Murphy's Law :-)

keep smiling
thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 7.1, windows

there is a none referenced image on one of the reference pages, but it is also occurring with other files in the same book, but not all, which do have many images

i have just discovered that if i make a local copy onto my desktop it works fine, but running it from the drive it is currently in doesn't

thanks

emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given what you said about the location of the files, it sounds as if it's a network permissions problem (you, or the FM process, may not have write permissions to the source directory). It's also possible that a virus-protection program is preventing the write.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, i'll have a chat with my IT dept

emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emma,

One other thing, which may or may not be related.

I've had a couple of these same warnings pop up the last couple of days, but I just shrugged them off. But after your email, another one came up and I got to thinking that XP SP3 was automatically installed a couple of days ago, and that's the only change that has occurred since these started popping on my system.

Do you know if your system received that update?

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2008 May 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure, but i shall check when i go back to work on monday

thank you

emma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this same error on my system: Framemaker 7.2P158, Windows XP. Service Pack 3 was recently installed on my system. Any word on how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I just uninstalled XP Service Pack 3. Works Great Now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back, Brandon -- one more nail in the coffin for SP3 ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brandon, are you importing anything as an OLE object?
That's been the reported cause of the problem; replacing whatever with an imported graphic also fixes it.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The documents I an editing are a collaboartive project, point being that many graphics have been imported into the documents and not by me. We are supposed to be importing everything by reference but I'm not sure what others have done. Is there an easy way I can search a document or book for OLE objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the FM find/change doesn't allow you to look for<br />graphics objects directly. However, you can search MIF files and look<br />for: <ImportObUpdater `OLE2'> to see if there are any OLE objects<br />embedded in your files.<br /><br />If you need to quickly convert your book to MIFs, try Omni Systems<br />mif2go demo version available from http://www.omsys.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use 7.0 and we have hundreds of OLE objects in our FM files - e.g. MS Visio files or tiny symbols we inserted via copy+paste ...
Please tell me that there is a fix, because we have to deliver approx. 50 PDFs from FM files in two weeks time - quite a few of them books with about 10 files in average ... there is absolutely no way to find and repair all those OLE occurencies and include all the changes that have to be in there in TWO WEEKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall SP3.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2008 Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does FM plans to resolve this? I need to have both working, XP SP3 with my latest FM 7.2 patch. Can we expect this to be resolved soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2008 Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kessey,

I'm curious about why would you expect Adobe to fix a new bug in a non-current, not-supported program that is caused by a change to the Microsoft operating system?

Why aren't you asking Microsoft to fix it?

Or just back out of SP3 and go on with life?

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2008 Jul 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are running FM version 7.2b144 on MS Win xp Pro (32 bit), and I did not notice this until service pack 3 was installed. I believe I have found a work around to the situation and another contributing cause. If graphic files are placed directly in an anchored frame instead of importing by reference, the file somehow becomes misplaced. If you right click the graphic and open the Object Properties dialog box, and see the phrase "no referenced file" below Main Editor: Referenced File: in the lower left hand corner, this has happened. I found if I removed all graphics files without references and imported them by reference, the source file may then be properly saved. I am also using a program called CCleaner, which removes cookies, temp files, browsing history and the like from a system. If the program settings are chosen too aggressively, and the application runs when FM has a file open, this same error will occur, even if all files are referenced properly. I don't know if SP3 has some similar application which is now running in the background and causing this.

To summarize, if you want to retain SP3, I have eliminated this error by confirming the links to referenced graphics files and avoiding using 3rd party "cleaners" while FM is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralph,

No disagreement on your third party cleaner assessment, but Microsoft has released a hotfix for this bug; it's discussed in several other topics and the Adobe FM product manager's blog.

Applying the hotfix seems to be the way to go...

Art

[Host edit: the Microsoft "fix" is for the PDF drop-out issue, NOT the OLE issue. AFAIK, this (OLE)is still unresolved and one has to rollback SP3 if OLE linked graphics are wanted in FM. OLE and FM continue to have a strained relationship and IMHO should be avoided.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting your solution, Ralph -- I don't recall anybody ever mentioning using apps such as CCleaner and moreover realizing that they were having an effect on FM files, so that's very useful to know.

fwiw, is there any reason you haven't updated to the latest version of 7.2 (p158)? There were several significant problems in b144 that were fixed in p158 -- here's a small list: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3332

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, there was a reason (no longer valid). I had been running b144 on Win xp Pro 64 bit system, which occasionally presented unique challenges of its own with other applications. I was loathe to routinely update and perhaps go from workable to unworkable. Now that I am on a 32 bit system, I will update FM 7.2 to p158.

I am also interested in the hotfix to SP3 referenced above. If there is a link to a posting that contains it, or if a direct MS link can be posted, that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're in a hurry, do a search in the forum messages for the hotfix, or visit the product manager's blog -- should pop in google too, although I will poke around for old messages, the info is already available here in the forum and on the Adobe site.

Art

[Host edit: the hotfix is for the PDF drop-out issue only - not the OLE problem.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/

Categories:
FrameMaker
RoboHelp
TechnicalCommunication

The hotfix that Art is referring to is listed on the "FrameMaker" category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
I am running Windows XP with SP3. Using FrameMaker 7.2p158. I get the error as described in the post: An internal error occurred while writing imported graphics in this document. The file has been saved....

I am unable to back out of Windows XP SP3 (IT does not recommend it because it breaks other things). So I have to stay with it... I went to the hotfix that Art referenced from the Adobe Blogs. The Hot fix it references doesn't seem to match with the above described error message. The hotfix seems to fix: Save as PDF leading to a crash and
Text dropping out of PDF created from FrameMaker.

Does anyone have any other bright ideas? I am stuck!!! I can't save my changes, I can't do anything. Help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines