• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ Suggestions and Corrections

Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2000 Dec 04, 2000

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is available so you can recommend suggestions and corrections to the FAQ.

Please add only FrameMaker FAQ related entries here.

Please post software-related questions to the regular FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML forums and topics. Do not post them here. This topic only concerns suggestions and questions for the FAQ.

Thanks!

Sean
TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 104 Replies 104
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2000 Dec 04, 2000

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strong Message:

Questions unrelated to the FAQ are subject to deletion. Sorry, but it is important to keep this topic on-topic.

Thanks,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2000 Dec 06, 2000

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test message. Feel free to post FAQ suggestions of corrections here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2000 Dec 18, 2000

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about FrameMaker to On-line Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2001 Jan 02, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this meet the need?

Sean "WebWorks Publisher and Online Help" 1/2/01 11:33am

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2001 Jan 23, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

I think we need an FAQ entry dealing with Save As PDF. If I remember correctly, you rely on this method, but it is a method that tends to get new users in trouble. Once they know enough about the process, they might use it successfully, but new users should follow Arnis' oft-repeated advice: pretend Save As PDF doesn't exist.

This topic would also have to deal with properly installing the Distiller Printer, but that could be a separate FAQ entry as well, don't you think?

Jeanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2001 Jan 24, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanie:

How does this work?

Sean "Problems Creating PDFs" 12/4/00 1:48pm

Let me know.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

I know, I know: everybody's an editor, but how about this?

To create a PDF from FrameMaker make sure that you have installed the Acrobat Distiller printer instance. This is NOT done by using the Add Printer option found in Start > Settings > Printers. Instead:
1. Download the latest Adobe Universal Printer Driver Installer from Adobe.
2. Make sure you have the latest PPD file available. You will be asked to find it during printer installation.
3. Double-click the .exe file to install the driver you downloaded.
4. When you are asked for the PPD file, browse to find it on your system.

Now you will have a printer instance called Acrobat Distiller. Use this printer when you create PDF files or when you create PostScript files from FrameMaker.

Do not use Save As PDF! This seems handy, but doesn't let you control Distiller job options. Instead:
1. From your Frame file or Frame book file, Print.
2. Make sure to select Print to File.
3. Make sure that Acrobat Distiller is the printer selected. It is good practice to make sure Acrobat Distiller is the default printer for your system before you go from Frame to Acrobat.
4. Distill the resulting postscript file.

Using watched folders can make your Frame-to-Acrobat tasks nearly automatic. See the Acrobat Guide for more information.

Sean, I think that your post may give the beginner a little too much information they won't understand until they've been at this for awhile. The "If you are outputting to a service bureau..." part for example. I think the FAQ should answer the questions for beginners. As they gain more experience and confidence, they will start to do things your way--the daring Save As, for example!

Your troubleshooting ideas are great. Can you add, under the b&w or grayscale PDF problem that it might be caused by selecting Spot as Black in the Frame print dialog?

Hope I'm not too much a pain about this... Also hope I didn't mess up the details in my suggestions...

Jeanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As you wish."<br /><br /><g><br /><br />Sean<Br><br />sean@quodata.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice! Thanks to both of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DK, thanks to you for sanctioning this adventure!!

Sean

sean@quodata.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wave the baton... Adobe gives us the space. My thanks to them for giving us the ability to share among ourselves and help one another out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2001 Mar 09, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about the good old missing fonts issue? You're welcome to grab content from my web site www.techknowledgecorp.com/help/help.html if you want, then massage it into a format for this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2001 Mar 15, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done:

Sean "Missing Fonts Error" 3/15/01 6:46am

Thanks for the thought. Check it out and let me know if it meets the need or needs tweaking.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2001 Mar 29, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From reading all the replies so far,it appears to me that there is not a consistent answer to the problem of deleting empty pages in FrameMaker documents which appear after updating a book.
Can one of you experts summarise the procedure for this because the online manual states the obvious: use pagination..delete empty pages or assign a master page to empty page. None of these work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2001 Mar 30, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were a lot of screenshot discussions within the last weeks. A summary of them might be helpfull for the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2001 Apr 09, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> > How about the good old missing fonts issue?
>
> Sean "Missing Fonts Error" 3/15/01 6:46am
> Check it out and let me know if it meets the need or needs tweaking.

You could also consider linking to my web page

http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers/fonts/unavailable.html

for a more in-depth explanation.

/Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2001 Apr 09, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll get to these this week, I promise ;?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2001 Apr 29, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

Still waiting for someone to summarise an answer for deleting empty pages.Will it be done?

joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2001 Apr 29, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got sidetracked and busy. I wrote up my thoughts on screen captures and it became a 40-page paper. Obviously, I have to reduce that for here.

As for deleting empty pages, I'm not sure that is such a big issue, I don't see it a lot. Let me post to the forum first, not the FAQ, and see what turns up (see Sean "Deleting empty pages--anyone having trouble with this?" 4/29/01 10:47am).

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 09, 2001 May 09, 2001

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum changes moved this topic and removed a FAQ written to address the blank pages issue. I'll recompose it. In the meantime, the link mentioned in the previous link goes here: Tim Murray "Deleting empty pages--anyone having trouble with this?" 4/30/01 2:09pm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-created the blank pages FAQ here: Sean "Blank Page Issues in FrameMaker" 5/9/01 6:44am.

Please note any suggestions and corrections here, in the Suggestions and Corrections thread.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all that, Sean! Your efforts are much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

It is made all the easier by forum denziens who stay mostly on-topic and who can be categorized as a decidedly "ruly" lot.

I am still, slooowwwwwwllllllyyyy working on reducing my 40-page graphics capture paper to something that I can post here.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay:

The screen captures thread is up and running: Sean "Screen Captures Exposed" 5/9/01 11:29am.

Bear in mind, this was a solo effort, your opinions might differ . . . but the content should be accurate. Post corrections or suggestions here.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines