• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Closed] FrameMaker 7.x/8 Feature Requests

Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2002 Aug 19, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to start entering these. If you are unsure about whether FM has the feature yet, please do some research and figure it out before posting.

Please don't post requests for assistance in here, either.

Cheers,

Sean
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 697 Replies 697
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I'll kick it off.

1) Conditional text that uses AND logic, not OR logic as currently implemented.

2) The ability to easily swap one paragraph style for another.

3) Fix the runaround bug.

4) More and better import filters, including more up-to-date CorelDRAW!, AutoCAD, and SVG filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, not everybody will want these. And, some might make upgrading more difficult or increase the resource requirements of FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5) OS X native compatibility.

6) Unicode support.

7) Up to 9 levels of undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8) Adobe Graphics Manager inclusion. ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9) Full OpenType support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe 3 or 4 levels of undo would be nice; I doubt I'd use more (I rarely use more than one level in Word). OTOH, I *KNOW* I'd use drag-and-drop text editing.

The acid test for any new feature, though, is whether it can be implemented without making the basic application either slower or less stable.

JOOC, what's "the runaround bug"?

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about associating a text flow with a master page or pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough space after a sentence that has associated index or other marks to see that you really do have a punctuation mark there.

Symbol insertion from a table, like Word. Typing ASCII numbers is so 20th century.

Cursor movement by arrow keys from one table cell to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A @#%#T#$$G#HG^%$ easier way to track down missing fonts.

Not ignore them.

To positively and absolutely root-out the buggers and fix them; especially Times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2002 Aug 20, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into another one this morning: I'd like the ability to print out the Book file. (Yeah, I know I can do a screen shot, but it'd be so much nicer to just go File>Print Book File.)

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be able to position a table at the top of the first page text frame without having to employ a workaround every time.

puig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see the word "Footnote" become something like "Bibliographic Citation>" in the Special menu with a choice of Footnote or Endnote. Format... Document... would also need a place to define properties for endnotes.

I could endure all the levels of undo the marketing department wanted to throw at me if FrameMaker--The Next Generation included a reasonable means of using endnotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting my memory jogged.

I'd like to see a way to align "Run Into Paragraph" anchored frames with something other than the top line of the paragraph. At a minimum, I'd like the choice to align with the bottom of the paragraph; better yet, the ability to specify an offset from the top line (in either lines or absolute units) would be really useful.

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. An easier way to add new FrameMath experessions.

2. FrameMath should properly format Math expressions with any font family.

3. Proper Association of Math MML (1.0 or 2.0) to any FrameMath Expression
for inclusion in html/xml/pdf documents.

4. Ability to import MathMML to the appropriate FrameMath expression.

5. Addition of user created FrameMath pallettes.

6. Ability to import or export TeX, TROFF.

7. Heck why not just integrate Mathtype/WebEq or purchase said technology
from Design Science.

8. Fix how Frame handles tabs.

9. Revival of FrameLite project to compete against Word WP arena.

...Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to mention that the "Frame Wishlist" is still up www.techknowledgecorp.com/help (bottom of left column).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker is an important tool in the technical publishing industry. Many authors use FrameMaker to write manuscripts, and publishers use it for composition purposes as well. What would be a great addition:

A suite of tracking and comment features (like those you find in word processors like Microsoft Word) you could use for writing and editing purposes.

Conditional text, the compare feature, comment markers, and change bars (the tools we currently cobble together for editing purposes in Frame) are clunky and difficult to use--a couple of tools specifically designed for editorial purposes would be a huge help.

Tyrrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. drag and drop
2. multiple undo
3. easier customization (customize toolbars and/or palettes with icons that are associated with the already-existing FCODES)
4. macros
5. spell-as-you-go
6. navigate through tables with cursor
7. the ability to specify a graphic as a bullet
8. reasonable html import: not perfect, but something better than plain text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another one: either variable zoom or addition of one or two more fixed ones. 50% is too small, 80% doesn't let you see the whole page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horace, there is varible zoom. Click the percent at the bottom of the window and look at the bottom. Plus, Esc z p does a "fit to page".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can type whatever percent you want into the boxes, so you can make the zoom levels 55, 73, 97 etc. or whatever you happen to want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2002 Aug 21, 2002

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 5. spell-as-you-go

I have to object to this request. This is one of the reaons Word chokes on long documents. I think FrameMaker's stability would take a severe hit if this feature was addedd.

Just my $0.02.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside: I was running through a 600-page Word doc that had not been spell checked. It had a lot of product names and some script, and the like, all of which caused the spellcheck-as-you-go red squigglies to appear. When I got to about page 260, Word tossed up an error message that there were too many spelling errors and it could no longer display them on-the-fly. <Vbg> 512MB RAM 2GHz and 13GB free and few graphics in the doc (20MB-ish doc), in case you were wondering. </aside>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about including a total page count variable that works in book files -- instead of having to fudge it!

[and there would be much rejoicing]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyrell:

This suggestion...

>>A suite of tracking and comment features (like those you find in word processors like Microsoft Word) you could use for writing and editing purposes. <<

...makes me shudder in fear. Occasionally I've been forced to work in scenarios where Word docs are routed to reviewers for online comments using revision tracking. The resulting files are such a mess that I often end up just printing them to a color printer and using the resulting hardcopy like a hand markup. Even that's inferior to an *actual* hand markup, because of the capricious way the revision tracking sometimes works. I'd run screaming from the room if FrameMaker ended up similar to Word in this regard.

JOOC, why don't you output to PDF and use its built-in redlining tools to collect comments?

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines