• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Faithful Import of Code Examples

New Here ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using import-by-reference and text-insets it insert code examples into a FM document seems a slam-dunk natural use of these features. However, I've found them very difficult and tedious to use because of the following shortcomings in FM:<br /><br />1. Conditional text settings are lost when the code is re-imported (already filed as a defect).<br /><br />2. Code must be imported using the "Treat Each Line as a Paragraph" option in order to avoid wrapping all the code together like an English language paragraph.<br /><br />3. Smart Quotes (if on) does the wrong thing to code examples.<br /><br />Treating each line as a paragraph has two serious ill effects.<br /><br />First, depending on your "Code" paragraph style it will insert whitespace between lines unless the paragraph style says not to - in which case, you have to stick an empty paragraph between the last code line and the next paragraph - an ugly blurring of the distinction between content and presentation.<br /><br />Second, you can specify a high setting for orphan lines which will tend to keep them on the same page - unless each line is its own paragraph - forcing the author to manage this by hand.<br /><br />Smart quotes is a desirable feature in the body of a document but should never be applied to a code sample. This (and the loss of condition text) forces the author to not use automatic update. Instead the author must:<br /><br />1. Turn Smart Quotes off.<br />2. Manually update all the references.<br />3. Turn Smart Quotes back on.<br />4. Fix broken conditional text for all references that actually changed.<br />5. Look for and fix any unacceptable orphan lines.<br /><br />Nasty!<br /><br />What FM needs is a fix for conditional text settings and a "Faithful Import" paragraph style preference <default off> that tells FM to:<br /><br />1. Not apply Smart Quotes - or any other feature that changes the code.<br />2. Honor the line breaks within the imported text but only treat the last one as an end-of-paragraph. This will fix the between lines of code and prevent orphan lines.<br /><br />Without these fixes, I really do not see how import can be used to solve what must be one of the most common problems.
TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't specifically tried it with and without Smart Quotes on/off, but importing code snippets by reference works fine for me when I import and specify that the source file formatting be preserved rather than overridden by the destination file... and, of course, when it _is_ properly formatted. For example, with SQ turned off.

That being said, I usually convert a code sample into a single column table w/o lines so I can better set it off from surrounding text and (by adding a column) use autonumbering to number the lines.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
We have a solution to importing code into frame data... We create a MIF file of the code and then you can cut/paste this into your document... if you send me a code example and a MIF file of your template I can set it up to process and create nice code listings in your own style.
This solution will soon be available online on our website - www.mifmasters.com (our table creation tool is already online - for CSV to MIF conversions...)
Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Typically, I import source code examples into FrameMaker as PDF files. I generate the PDFs directly from a source code editor, TextPad being a personal favorite. This has the advantage of not only preserving the spacing in the code, but syntax-based highlighting as well.

Martin

Martin R. Smith
www.golehtek.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines