• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I crop a clipping mask?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2008 Jul 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a clipping mask and now I have a big transparent bounding box around the image. How do I crop out all the extra empty space to just leave the image as my object?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2008 Jul 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, in Illustrator, you can't. For some reason unknown to the rest of the world, the Illustrator programmers seem to think this is the way the application SHOULD work.

There have been many requests to fix this behavior, but since it's not a new, snazzy feature that you can put in a press release, it's pretty far down the list of things for the Illustrator team to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2008 Nov 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Mordy Golding's blog, CS4 adds this functionality at last.<br />He wrote:<br /><br /> Clipping Masks. One of the biggest complaints about the masking features<br />in Illustrator has been that when artwork is clipped, you can still select<br />that artworkeven if it isn¹t visible. In Illustrator CS4, masked artwork is<br />now truly hiddenfrom view and from your selection tool. However, this new<br />functionality is only in place for clipping masks, not for layer clipping<br />masks.<br /><br />The blog is at: <br />http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2008/09/illustrator-cs4-facts.html<br /><br />Jeff<br /><br /><br />On 08/07/16 11:03, in article 59b5db08.0@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI,<br />"Clint_Weatherwalks@adobeforums.com" <Clint_Weatherwalks@adobeforums.com><br />wrote:<br /><br />> Unfortunately, in Illustrator, you can't. For some reason unknown to the rest<br />> of the world, the Illustrator programmers seem to think this is the way the<br />> application SHOULD work.<br />> <br />> There have been many requests to fix this behavior, but since it's not a new,<br />> snazzy feature that you can put in a press release, it's pretty far down the<br />> list of things for the Illustrator team to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 16, 2008 Jul 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a workaround that (I believe) came from this forum:

How do I crop an image in Illustrator?
LenHewitt - 03:10am Jan 18, 2007 Pacific

Cropping an Image to a clipping mask

Place your image in Illustrator as an emebedded image.
Create your clipping mask using any of the drawing tools.
Select both image and clipping mask and select Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

The visual image will be 'cropped' to within the clipping mask. If the clipping mask is released the whole image will again become visible.

Embedded images can be permanently cropped within Illustrator to reduce file size:
With the image and clipping mask still selected, in the transparency palette select any mode other than 'Normal'.
Select Object > Flatten Transparency. Set the Raster/Vector Balance to 100 (Raster). Click 'OK'.

The image will be permanently cropped to the smallest rectangle that will enclose the clipping mask. Releasing the clipping mask will not reveal the original image. Releasing the clipping mask will not reveal the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You saved my day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Embedded images can be permanently cropped within Illustrator to reduce file size:
With the image and clipping mask still selected, in the transparency palette select any mode other than 'Normal'.
Select Object > Flatten Transparency. Set the Raster/Vector Balance to 100 (Raster). Click 'OK'.

Good tip.

But now my image is separated in 5 sections (i.e. I have 5 embedded imags in the links palette); is that normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it does that to me too. I don't know why. Often, if I just start over and do it again (same image, same crop), I get it as one image. On the other hand, when it does cut up the image like that, it has always printed fine for me.

Probably why it's a workaround, though, and not a feature. ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2008 Nov 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution to having it broken up into different images is then to do a pixelisation (setting the resolution to 600 or something high) and then it's just one block... like if Adobe had thought fit to include an Object - Flatten clipping mask feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that the Flatten Transparency workaround also outlines all strokes. Thus, it is not a substitute for the much-needed proper cutting capability which Illustrator still embarassingly lacks.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A crop tool is a must have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that - a crop tool for raster images on the artboard<br />would be a thing of beauty.<br /><br />Jeff<br /><br /><br />On 08/11/03 0:13, in article 59b5db08.8@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI,<br />"Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com" <Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com> wrote:<br /><br />> A crop tool is a must have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want a crop tool to crop every thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

classic case of illustrator making easy things hard, or in this case impossible.

no crop tool? i wanted to make sprite sheets for my game and Paint.net only lets you rotate in 90% increments, so i spent 7 hours downloading the illustrator trial. after figuring out the whole clipping mask thing, now i cant get rid if the white space around my sprite pieces. time to uninstall illustrator and go back to free Paint.net which lets you crop, jesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried everything but nothing is getting rid of that space and I need to save it as a JPEG and PNG but I'm getting a ton of empty space from my clipping mask. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the clipping path and go to Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art.

Check the "Use Artboards" option when exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines