Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert AI to JPEG

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2006 Sep 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
We have a requirement to programatically convert AI files to JPEG files. (But not as a plug-in). Can this be done using the Adobe AI SDK? If so, could any one provide any pointers on how to do it? If not, what other ways are available for programatically converting AI to JPEG? Are there any other 3rd party SDK which can do this?

Thanks
CS
TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2007 Apr 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this same requirement. I noticed this post is quite old but I'm hoping someone may have an answer for it. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2007 May 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, keep searching....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2007 May 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up doing this by using the ImageMagick APIs. It does most of the things what we want. However, if the AI file has multiple layers, it does not extract the different layers. Other than that, it pretty solid and reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2007 Jul 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have found that works best and I am currently still looking for something easier by the way. But what I do is I open the Adobe Illustrator file, select all, copy everything, then open a new clipboard file in adobe Photoshop and paste it in there then I save m as a jpeg format. So far that has worked but it is still time consuming. So if all else fails you can try this it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E-spec has a plug-in that extracts the layers as jpegs. http://www.e-spec.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,
Thanks for all your replies. I need to do this as a stand alone application. Not as a plug-in.
Shannon, Are you doing what you said thru scripting or thru the SDK?

Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks
CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What language are you planning on writing the stand-alone application in? If you save the illustrator file with PDF compatability(on by default), any of the several PDF libraries should be able to rasterize the file as a generic image, which you can then convert to whichever format you desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2007 Jul 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply.

Some of our customer AI files are NOT saved with PDF compatability. And even if they are, the other PDF libraries do not see the contents outside the AI artboard. I have tried ImageMagick/Ghostscript and other PDF conversion utilities as a possible solution and it does not work:(

As for the programming language, I'm ok with c# .Net / Visual Basic.

Thanks
CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2007 Aug 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I am looking for the same solution, with no luck so far.
I need to convert a pdf to jpg using classic asp/vb...

Other modules/team is dependant on this code, so I need to get this done asap.

Any luck with using Ghostscript in asp code?? I dont know how to use it in classic asp. Any pointers will be helpful.

Thanks,
Heena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2007 Aug 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

My requirement is also similar. i want to display the .ai images on the web. Is there any tool which gets internally converted? i went through an article

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030630.htm

but i dont know whether it is possible using SVG.

Thanks
Shankar.N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2007 Sep 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Illustrator Scripting API provides functions to export documents to swf, jpg, gif, png, psd and svg and you can script Illustrator in JavaScript, VBScript and AppleScript. These scripts can either be run from Illustrator File > Scripts > Other Script menu or from the file system, provided the correct context is set up in the script. There are several sample scripts provided in the Illustrator install folder to use as reference. Not sure this is feasible for your application but it is another option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CS,
Exactly, same problem, I got here, May be this discussion is older but useful for others.
I am using here ImageMagick and Ghostscript in command line with programming. I am able to convert AI file format to JPEG. But got error in some of AI files which has Post Script as format PS,Some of AI files with format PS/PDF are converted with no error, but some particular AI files are not.
I got this error while using Ghostscript,
Error: /undefined in Adobe_level2_AI5
I tried lots of option but always got this error for particular type of AI files.

Any helps!
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, while some files works, other files don't works 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2008 Mar 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my AI document size is 150*200.
i want to convert folder of ai to jpg which size will be 3000*4000
anyone can help me in Adobe illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the file up in AI and then save as for Web & Devices ( File>Save for Web & Devices) You can select GIF, JPEG OR PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DONT SAVE, EXPORT. AND THEN YOU GET MORE SAVING CHOICES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done using plugins, extensions or scripts. Adobe provides tools, documentation to develop any of this solutions.

Any other solution won't work or won't work as fine as those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The simplest way to change ai to jpeg is copy and paste. control V from ai file and control C to psd format file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines