• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS3 13.0.2 update failed to install

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received an automatic update. When I clicked to install, the update returned this message:

Installation Incomplete
Adobe Illustrator CS3 13.0.2 update failed to install
The update cannot be applied to the product.

Say what?
I'm at Illustrator CS3 13.0.1. First time an CS3 update dug in its heels and sneered back at me.

Anybody got a clue about this? Bad update?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 114 Replies 114
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2007 Sep 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with Technote: "Updating or reinstalling a Creative Suite 3 application fails with the following error: "The update cannot be applied to the product." <br />http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402323&sliceId=2<br /><br />Places cause as: "You removed, moved, or altered some files installed during the original installation. For example, if you removed or renamed the Read Me file for the CS3 application being updated you may receive the error above when running an update for that application."<br /><br />I did not remove, move, or alter any files installed during the original installation. But, I would think the previous Adobe updates have.<br /><br />Reading the installer log, the error comes out as: "The patcher with which you are trying to patch the product cannot patch this version of the product."<br /><br />Technote solution is to uninstall, reinstall or repair. <br /><br />Went throug fire and brimstone the first time I installed this suite product, so sure don't want to risk that again.<br /><br />Partial patch log at point of error:<br /><br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Patcher is validating the product on target machine against the <AdobeCode>.patch file<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Loading CAPS library.<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Successfully loaded the function "capsGetPayload" from CAPS library.<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Version obtained from CAPS: 13.0<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Version of the product as installed on the target machine: 13.0<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Old Version as read from config.xml file: 13.0.1<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO New Version as read from config.xml file: 13.0.2<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 ERROR Patcher is unable to match the version numbers.<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Successfully loaded the AUM library: C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxxxxxxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\Patcher\Patcher3168\InstallerResults.dll<br />09/07/07 08:40:04 INFO Successfully loaded the "AUMSetInstallerResults" function from AUM library.<br />09/07/07 08:40:05 ERROR The patcher with which you are trying to patch the product cannot patch this version of the product.<br />09/07/07 08:40:05 INFO Successfully unloaded the AUM library.<br />09/07/07 08:40:05 INFO patching ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2007 Sep 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I drew no responses, apparently this is not a common or interesting problem. So, I gritted my teeth and followed the technote.

I reinstalled Illustrator over the installed copy. This reset the version to 13.0.0. Then downloaded and sucessfully installed 13.0.1. Then, I downloaded and sucessfully installed 13.0.2.

So, except for understanding why the update balked in the first place, I'm good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2007 Sep 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not the only one...

Adobe seems to be having lots of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to install my trail illustrator file, it says i don't have enough RAM 512.0 MB however when checking my c drive space I have 5.17 GB, is that enough. If anyone has any ideas please let me know ASAP!! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julia:

RAM refers to random access memory and is housed in computer chips on your motherboard. It is working space required for the processor to run Windows and a variety of programs. This has nothing to do with Disc drive space (C drive) that is used for storing programs and working files. Your system would run OK with Illustrator 10, but if you could get CS3 to install, it would be very limited.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 16, 2007 Oct 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan, I had the same problem with the 13.02 update. In fact, I have all the current updates on disk, and immediately after installing CS3, I started installing them one by one. Some fail, others succeed. Illustrator 13.01 worked fine, 13.02 failed.

The Adobe "explanation" is bunk. And the failures aren't even consistent. Some just fail, others claim they can't find the app. Can't find the application? Bullcrap: It's right where Adobe installed it.

Unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2007 Oct 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan, I need some clarification as to what you mean by "reinstalled" with successful updates to 13.0.2.
1) Used the DVD to REPAIR the CS3 installation?
or
2) REMOVED the CS3 (Illustrator) product completely and installed it a second time?

I've done option 1 several times without satisfactory results. Patch 13.0.1 appears to install, but Illustrator => About still says it's 13.0.0. Patch 13.0.2 fails with the "failed to installed" poor grammar message discussed earlier.

Funny thing is, the first time I ran Illustrator two weeks ago, it was already 13.0.2, but saving files resulted in "I'm sorry, but Illustrator has encountered an error and has to close." I started trying to REPAIR Illustrator after seeing that error 20 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to my earlier post:
I used the CS3 DVD to uninstall Illustrator, leaving all of the other products installed. Then I installed only Illustrator. In other words, I turned off the checkboxes to reinstall/repair the other CS3 applications. (Illustrator was the only item checked)

Update 13.0.1 still fails with "Updater did not Worked", "Adobe Illustrator CS3 13.0.1 Update failed to install."

The "Application Data\Adobe\Patcher Logs\Adobe Illustrator CS3 13.0.1.log" file shows no errors, but Illustrator => About still shows 13.0.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that you can find the files in your Library/Application Support/Adobe/Updater5/Install/ if you open them direct and mount them on your desktop you'll ahve no problems installing the updates. This method also provides you with the file to keep for future updating/re-installing - rather than the update auto-deleting the download.

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least all of you were able to INSTALL illy 13. I run illy 12 on the Macs but wanted to also run it on the XP machines. No luck. Time after time I tried to install the program and wasted many hours. This install was on a brand new Dell XPS loaded to the gills with RAM and so forth. Thankfully Adobe returned the purchase price to me, but it would have been far better to have the program running.
Recently I downloaded the Trial version, thinking that perhaps the install bugs had been fixed. Nope. Same end result- no Illy.
Why does this matter?

You see I make my living as a designer. My favorite tool since 1996 has been FreeHand. I run multiple licences on the workgroup machines in both PC and Mac. Wonderful program it is. But my friends at Adobe won FreeHand when they purchased Macromedia. Adobe really wants me to migrate to Illustrator. That way FreeHand can be set aside as I assimilate Illustrator and it's unique ways. This is all fine and dandy but one thing stands in the way...

To migrate, one needs to have the application install without hangs or jumping through hoops in the registry. To migrate I need to have Illustrator install... period.
Anyways, good that you have Illy installed! Lucky too, as you show the jumping through hoops syndrome as well.
Cheers,
Jeffery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming Chad is on a Mac...

In Windows Vista a search on Updater5 reveals several such folders. None of these folders had anything one might believe was a update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is 1:44 in the morning and I just received the identical error message. After spending a week getting the product to install successfully I currently don't have the guts to wipe it out totally and start again.

I think I am going to try what worked for Sergei Urlof. Maybe, just maybe by uninstalling product in question, which is Adobe Illustrator CS 3 (Ai) then reinstalling Ai followed by its updates. Maybe I will have a happy ending to this skittish situation. I won't take a crack at Sergei Urlof way of doing things tonight. I will probably try tomorrow evening.

So if anyone has any additional ideas or suggestions, comments I am more than willing to hear them. I'm sure many of us went through hell and back in order to get the software installed. Most of us who found the installation to be difficult want to stay clear of this application as much is possible when it comes to updating it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this identical problem. I too have tried to repair my installation with no luck. With the incredible amount of time it takes to do an install, I can't be bothered to waste my time unless I'm guaranteed a more stable program, which I'm not with these updates.

Here's what I'd like to know. Why doesn't someone from Adobe respond to these posts? Do they not care that their users are frustrated with the software? Even if they just posted, "We understand your concerns, just stick with using Illustrator sans updates", I would be ecstatic. Reading through topic after topic of the same problem with just user responses is disappointing.

Jeffrey Plummer: Illustrator used to be better. I started with version 8 I think. Easy and fast install (like 10 minutes). Ultra stable...I don't think it ever crashed. Ever since Adobe went to CS, their programs have become bloated and unstable. Frankly, Gimp and Inkscape are starting to look like superior products and their prices are spot on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2007 Nov 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, So I had a similar issue with the 13.0.1 update failing to apply. I am running CS3 on a Dell Dimension E520 on Windows Vista Home Premium. CS3 was an upgrade to the original CS,so I went back and removed CS after having 'upgraded' to CS3. After removing the original CS, I ran into a problem with Windows registry entries that are removed during the CS de-install that are required by the CS3 install. Adobe had a technote and solution for that (KB401602 - http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401602), but apparently the re-install of AI overwrote some or all of the previously successful update to 13.0.1. Now, when attempting to recover 13.0.1, I get this nonsense. It seems like looking at the computer cross-eyed will cause Adobe apps to hiccup or choke anymore - what happened to the robustness that they used to have? Ok, sorry about the rant. Any ideas other than blowing it all away and starting over? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2007 Nov 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is Adobe's answer.
http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402323

I did this to no avail. Trying again. Will report back.

Thanks,
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried 2 scenarios - neither worked

1. remove illustrator but don't remove preferences.
2. remove illustrator but do remove preferences.

I noticed that i have a 3rd party plug-in (CADTools) and that after reinstalling Illustrator, CADTools is still there. So i guess the "remove" doesn't completely remove???

maybe i need to remove the entire CS3 suite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I spent the entire morning removing, running the cleanup script, reinstalling and having all products updated except Illustrator.

I can't understand how a company of the grandeur of Adobe mess something so simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now running 13.0.0 on my laptop because for no apparent reason, Illustrator 13.0.2 presented me--in the middle of a work session--with the "Licensing for this program has stopped working" greeting.

Disgruntled, I reinstalled.

Dutifully, I then downloaded the 13.0.1 update.

Surprisingly, I received the "cannot be applied to this product" admonition.

Spitefully, Adobe Updater now gets in my face and tells me I need to download and install 13.0.1 updater.

Hopefully, I let it try again.

Predictably (by now), I repeat the process to receive the same "cannot be applied".

Wastefully, this whole laughable cycle has robbed me of yet another 2 hours or so of my lifespan squandered on Adobe's abusive installation/activation nonsense.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS3 - Design Standard

Ran the Adobe updater - downloaded 330+ Mb of updates. NONE of them will work. After all the error dialog boxes are clicked through... a rerun of the updater requires another download 330+ Mb of updates again. [expletives deleted by F/Host]

If I didn't have to run this crap-ware for a client -- it would have been thrown in the bin long ago.

Thank you to all the posters who are trying to make this work. Maybe Adobe will hire a few of you once you figure out their own product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up -

Chad Durham - 5:23am Oct 26, 07 PST (#9 of 19) suggested using the downloaded files. This works for me!

But, make sure that after the updater downloads your files - to cancel the updater script and do the rest by hand. If the updater tries to install an update and fails - it will removed the downloaded file.

So, to review -

1) Run the Adobe Updater application (found at Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/Updater5.app (on a Mac))

2) After downloading all your updates - cancel the installer

3) Goto your user account's folder named ( Library/Application Support/Adobe/Updater5/Install )

4) search around for the *.dmg files

5) open each disk volume (dmg file) and launch the installer inside

6) if you're lucky these will work for you.

Good luck,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a manual install procedure for Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2007 Dec 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto -

Some of us are on a budget, preventing us from affording both the Adobe software AND the Apple platform to run it on. As nice as that would be to do, converting to Mac isn't in the near future for me. So, any process or procedure / work-around ideas you can recommend for M$ Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) would be something that I would be grateful for, other than the suggestion to upgrade to a MAC and spend more $$$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked to Adobe Technical Support and here is what they said:
- Go to Microsoft.com and search for the utility msicuu2.exe (which is a cleanup utility of some sort).
- Download this utility as you will need it later.
- Follow the instructions at this link:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401574
- So far I have tried the first of 3 methods they suggest, each getting progressively more drastic. Method 1 did not work for me so now Im on to Method 2. The problem is that it takes so long to go through this procedure.
- Ill report back when I have something of value

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve for sharing your experience! I'll be looking into downloading the M$ tool and going through the process when I can get on the machine having the problem (probably later today). I'll report results as I progress through the process.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines