Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

See Also with a text link

Jun 13, 2006 Jun 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously, when I have generated a CHM file, I have been using a hidden See Also control with a text link for "related topics". In WebHelp this does not seem to work. Is this correct, or is it in any way possible to use a text link in this way with WebHelp?

Regards,
Rannveig Østevik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2006 Jun 13, 2006
Hi Rannveig

Typically it goes like this.

1. Insert RelatedTopics control and note name by hovering the control. Should be RelatedTopics if it is the first, object1 or OBJECT1 if the second (depending on how the control was inserted)

2. Select the text your user will click to activate the control and perform the same steps as if you were linking to another page.

3. In the Hyperlink dialog, instead of listing the path to the page, type JavaScript:RelatedTopics.Click(). Note that if the control...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Rannveig

This should work just fine. Makes me wonder what is breaking. The process of creating WebHelp should just carry it right along.

Maybe we need to investigate what else might be happening.

Cheers... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find a description of how to do this a long time ago, but couldn't find it again now. I tried searching the archives of these forums and the HATT list, but couldn't find anything. So I just tried to copy what I had done in the other project, but obviously that wasn't good enough...

I guess it is the link from the text that is incorrect. What is the correct syntax for this link?

Regards,
Rannveig Østevik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rannveig

Typically it goes like this.

1. Insert RelatedTopics control and note name by hovering the control. Should be RelatedTopics if it is the first, object1 or OBJECT1 if the second (depending on how the control was inserted)

2. Select the text your user will click to activate the control and perform the same steps as if you were linking to another page.

3. In the Hyperlink dialog, instead of listing the path to the page, type JavaScript:RelatedTopics.Click(). Note that if the control name is object1 or OBJECT1, you substitute this for RelatedTopics.

Hopefully this helps... Rick 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx 🙂 I did try again, and got it to work 🙂 What happened the first time(s) I tried, I don't know. The link I used seemed to be the same, but obviously there must have been something I did wrong. As I'm using the SeeAlso contro, I replaced RelatedTopics with SeeAlso in the link you provided.

Regards,
Rannveig Østevik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2006 Jun 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just for the record - I discovered what was the problem in the first place. I hadn't understood the syntax of the link, so I didn't verify that the link corresponded with the name of the control. I'm not sure why - the project was converted from RoboHelp for Word, so maybe that's the reason, but the controls were named RelatedTopic0 and not SeeAlso, although they are all SeeAlso controls.

Regards,
Rannveig Østevik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp