Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM and IE6

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are experiencing a problem with some generated chm files. It happens that images don´t images in computers where Internet explorer 6 or lower is installed. However, in machines where Internet Explorer is updated to version 7 all images appears correctly. It seems that IE6 doesnt resolve correctly the images path inside the chm. We have inspected our project looking for differences between the chm files where this porblem haapens and the ones where everything is ok, but we see no difference.

Anyone has experinece the same thing? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jose Antonio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jose

I'm wondering if the image file type has anything to do with it? What format do you use for your images?

I know the Microsoft HTML Help viewer uses parts of Internet Explorer with its display mechanism, so the fact that an IE change would change the behavior doesn't surprise me much. But I'm wondering if perhaps you were using an image format that IE6 didn't like, but IE7 was programmed to understand.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks very much for your response.

We are using differente image types such as gif or jpg, but i don´t think that the problem is related to the format of the images. We hace also noticed that the paths are not been resolveing correctly not only for images but also for css stylesheets, etc. This behaviour only happens when we navigate to a chm through an external link. When we open the target chm directly everything is shown fine. However, all link´s paths seem to be correctly defined.

Maybe this description can be more accurate to describe the problem we are experiencing.

Thanks.

Jose Antonio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally speaking, RH can only create the proper relative path to images and other files (htm, pdf, etc.) if the files are in the same folder structure in the output as they were in the source when you created the links.

We maintain a 42-project merged WebHelp online help with thousands of cross-project links; if we are about to create one or more links to another project, we copy that project to our local machine (in the same directory structure: all source child projects under the /projects folder, and all output child projects under the /mergedProjects folder).

We also maintain two major versions of the software help, and usually experience link problems when we import topics from one version to the other (RH gets confused about just exactly where the links should point to in this new directory structure you've placed it into). Other than that, it works great for us.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
One other point I forgot in the previous reply: the difference you're seeing in browser effectiveness is probably that IE7 has been written to expand its search when it cannot find the target exactly where the code says. (Just MS being oh, so helpful!)

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp