Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PDF Form in IFrame

Former Community Member
I have an IFrame as part of my web application which is opening a PDF form specified from a XPD file. But the PDF form takes over then entire browser not just the IFrame I wanted to load it in losing the rest of the application's structure. Is there any way to target the current Iframe?
13 Replies

Level 6
Hello,

Some months ago I tried to do that. However, I think this is not possible because when the XDP opens it will make a call to a PDF and in this way your iframe context is lost.

I hope I was wrong... :)

Former Community Member
Hi,

Yes. it´s possible.

I´ve done it using an IFRAME declared on a JSP page. Just set the properties WIDTH and HEIGHT to make the IFRAME the size that you want... and set the scrolling property to be AUTO... in order to let you see the whole document with scroll bar , if needed...

What i did was to get a login page to let the user open a specific pdf... my page had a form where the user should enter the password to access the form...the form had two attributes ... "Action" was set to the address whre the servlet will render the pdf ... "target" was set to the IFRAME´s name...

Just put the iframe on a specific area on the page...

I don´t know if it´s what you want ...

Thanks

Former Community Member
hi,

You have to put this frame inside a table cell or limited by a DIV tag in order to let the iframe to be limited to that specific area and let the browser show the rest of the components on the page.

thanks,

Level 6
Hi Lazaro,

I think you are saying that you can open a PDf inside an IFrame, however, what csavage needs is to open a xdp file (and thus a subsequent PDF with data merged on it) inside an IFrame.

So, are you pointing to a xdp file?

Thank you

Former Community Member
hi Neptuno,

what i have done is to call a servlet on the action of the form that merges the user data on the database with the xdp file.

the pdf generated from there is presented in the iframe.

thanks

Level 6
Hello Lazaro,

Thank you for your response. However I didn´t figured out the scheme you used, yet.

You first open a pdf file and then makes a call to merge the xdp, or you open the xdp with the data on it? Are you using Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Professional? or Are you merging the data on the server using livecycle forms?

If you can, I would appreciate a simple example (neptuno2@hotmail.com)

Thank you.

Level 6
Lazaro,

You said:

"what i have done is to call a servlet on the action of the form that merges the user data on the database with the xdp file.

the pdf generated from there is presented in the iframe. => From there were? Are you pointing a pdf inside the xdp file or are you converting xdp in a pdf file using formserver?"

Thank you

Former Community Member
hi Neptuno,

"the pdf generated from there" => generated on the servlet that was called. the merge is done using formserver.

the action of the form that i refer above is the "action" event of the jsp page that has the IFRAME. the click event of the button that is on the jsp page goes to the servlet and merges the data into the xdp file (therefor generates the pdf file) and writes it back into the IFRAME instead of using the whole jsp area.

I dont have any sample here with me (just the whole project). i'll make a sample as soon as possible and send it to the mail you gave me.

thanks,

Rui

Former Community Member
I am having the same problem. We recently upgraded to Acrobat Reader 8. Previously when a link is clicked the document in question would merge and open a new window with a custom toolbar and the resulting PDF displayed in an IFRAME.

Something like...

HTML:

<iframe id="pdf_preview" src="" height="100%" width="100%"></iframe>

JAVASCRIPT:

document.all.pdf_preview.src = sPath + "/" + fileGuid + ".pdf#Toolbar=0";

Now with the new version of Acrobat, the IFRAME takes over the whole window and our custom toolbar is lost.

Any ideas?

Former Community Member
Problem solved. It seemed that some other products in the Adobe suite were causing the error... when Acrobat Reader 8 was installed all by itself it worked fine.

Level 1
Hello everyone, i tried displaying my PDF through iframe.

well, its displaying fine, but when i added #search=' ' and it shows as if its searching in 2 documents

i wrote "iframe src="book1/book1.pdf#search=vorbild" width="890" height="880""

and displayed result was

Results: 2 documents with 1 instance

and showed results 2 time

why its loading 2 documents??

please reply asap

Thanks & Regards

Sonal