1 2 3 Previous Next 269 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2014 10:58 PM by jyoshna09 RSS

Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.

tarekahf Community Member
      With Google, I did a very very long search on how to use Adobe LiveCycle Designer to design Interactive/Dynamic Forms, and publish them to the IIS Server and use ASP.NET to populate such forms with field values from back-end Database such as SQL Server.

We are designing and implementing Electronic Forms ASP.NET Application that must detect the user currently logged in to the Windows Intranet (under IIS), and should perform a Look-up to the Back-End Database to extract the User Related Data and Populate the Form Fields to start the Form Processing.

We have the following facts:
      1. The forms will be designed using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.1.

2. We will NOT use Adobe LiveCycle Forms since it is not on our budget yet.

3. The users will have the required Adobe Acrobat version on the Client PC.

In a typical scenario, the user would go through these steps:

1. The user logs on to the Intranet using his Windows Login ID and Password. Then he starts the APS.NET Application for Forms Processing.

2. He will request a form to fill. The form may be populated with sensitive information such as Salary and only the requesting user must be able to see his Salary on any form.

3. On the server side, the system will use the User Windows ID to perform a query against the Back-End Database and generate the required XML Data.

4. The system must then link/merge the generated XML Data with the requested form and render (post) the form back to the user for further printing and/or submitting via email.

That's it !

I found an add-in product "Adobe LiveCycle® Designer add-in for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET" but it only wraps XPD forms in Visual Studio Component which is not of a great help to my requirements.

If any one could give me any hint on how to implement such requirements.

I truly appreciate any help.

Tarek.
        • 1. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
          Community Member
          load submited data from form:<br /><br />  For a = 0 To Request.Form.Count - 1 <br />     If InStr(Request.Form.Keys(a), "Hamta") > 0 Then Hamta = True<br />     If InStr(Request.Form.Keys(a), "Spara") > 0 Then Spara = True<br />     If InStr(Request.Form.Keys(a), "TaBort") > 0 Then TaBort = True<br /><br />     Temp = Request.Form.GetKey(a)<br />     Do While InStr(Temp, ".") > 0<br />         Temp = Mid(Temp, InStr(Temp, ".") + 1)<br />     Loop<br />     Temp = Left(Temp, InStr(Temp, "[") - 1)<br />     If UCase(Temp) = "ARENDENUMMER" Then Ärendenummer = Request.Form(Request.Form.Keys(a)) ' hämta formulärets loginid har hittat loginid<br />     If UCase(Temp) = "NAMN" Then Namn = Request.Form(Request.Form.Keys(a))<br />     If UCase(Temp) = "TEXT" Then Text = Request.Form(Request.Form.Keys(a))<br />  Next<br /><br />Populate the pdf form.<br /><br />  If Hamta = True And RecordAnt > 0 Then<br />     Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml"<br />     Response.Write("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>")<br />     Response.Write("<?xfa generator=""XFA2_0"" APIVersion=""2.2.5028.0""?>")<br />     Response.Write("<xdp:xdp xmlns:xdp=""http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/"">")<br />     Response.Write("<xfa:datasets xmlns:xfa=""http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-data/1.0/"">")<br />     Response.Write("<xfa:data>")<br />     Response.Write("<form1>")<br />     Response.Write("<Namn>" & Rs.Fields("Namn").Value() & "</Namn><Text>" & Rs.Fields("Text").Value() & "</Text><Arendenummer>" & Rs.Fields("Arende").Value() & "</Arendenummer>")<br />      Response.Write("</form1>")<br />      Response.Write("</xfa:data>")<br />      Response.Write("</xfa:datasets>")<br />      Response.Write("<pdf href=""http://www.dtp-tjanst.com/Acrobat/PreLoad/PreLoad3.pdf"" xmlns=""http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/pdf/"" />")<br />      Response.Write("</xdp:xdp>")<br />      Response.Flush()<br />      Response.End()<br />  End If<br /><br />I hope that can give some ideas<br />ulf.a@dtp-tjanst.se
          • 2. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
            Dear Ulf I Andersson ,

Thank you so much ... I got the idea ... but, what is the Language used on the PreLoad3.PDF form ? This is the only difficulty I faced, as I could not understand the purpose of the form. However, I could use the same logic for my requirements.

Just tell me one thing, How I can submit the PDF from the Client Web Browser to the IIS Server ASP.NET Web Page so that I could retrieve the Field Values using "Request.Form" ?

Is it possible to submit the form to it self on the server side and do the same thing to manipulate the form? Is this a good way to do such a thing ? Usually, in ASP.NET the forms do not submit to a different Page, they submit to them selves ? Did you notice that ?
            • 3. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
              Community Member
              There is no language in the form
              The buttons is submit buttonts with an url.
              You cant submit to a pdf you are always submitting to a aspx.
              ulf.a@dtp-tjanst.se
              • 4. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                OK, great ! it is working fine. Thank you so much.

I need now to do the opposite, ie, submit the PDF From to ASP.NET, where the PDF Form has Digital Signature. I want to preserve the integrity of the PDF on the server.

So, I created a Submit Button on the LiveCycle PDF Form and want to submit the Entire PDF using the appropriate Submit Format such as "XDP" , "PDF", or "XML" or what ever. Under APS.NET, I managed to receive the XDP XML Structure using ASP.NET as follows:
                ----
                Dim reader As New System.IO.StreamReader(Page.Request.InputStream)
                Dim xmlData As String = reader.ReadToEnd()
                Dim xmldoc As New System.Xml.XmlDataDocument
                xmldoc.LoadXml(xmlData)
                Response.Write("
                Welcome " & xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("Name")(0).innertext & "
                ")
                ----
                Where "Name" is the Staff Name Field on the PDF Form.

The above code is working fine, but how I can receive the Entire PDF with Digital Signatures and save it to a local folder on the server?

I found a "chunk" element, but I could not write it to Binary File as it is always being written as TEXT File no mater what I do.

It seems that I need and SDK for APS.NET.

Any one can help me I really appreciated it.

Tarek.
                • 5. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                  Community Member
                  Hello, I need a group with an image jpg and to be able to call and to fill up this group from asp, a greeting
                  • 6. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                    Dear All,

I was able to submit the PDF from the Client to Server (URL) and handle the submission using ASP.NET Program.

I was able to extract data and PDF from the chunk element successfully and write it as binary to PDF file on the server.

I was also able to merger data with PDF using XML and write the response back to the client as XDP ....

Everything works perfectly now.

I have one small problem.

On some client PCs, when the XDP is rendered back to the client browser, sometimes I get a Prompt asking the user to save or open the XDP file, and on other users PC, it is opening the XDP as PDF immediately.

How I can control such setting ? From where exactly ?

Regards ...

Tarek.
                    • 7. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                      Tarek can you explain how you are able to submit a pdf form as a pdf (write as a binary file on the server) via ASP.NET? I do not need to write the form values to a database rather I would like to keep the pdf form as is.

Thanks
                      Mehmet
                      • 8. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                        Dear Mehmet,

Sure I am glad to help. I will give you quick answer now, and on Sat I will give complete sample code.

On the form, submit button, mouse up event, use Acrobat JavaScript: event.target.submitForm and include the parameters to submit the entire pdf to URL (ASP.NET Program).

In asp.net, use the request object to retrieve the binary data and use binary writer to write to an file .pdf.

When I am back in the office on Saturday, I will give COMPLETE sample code. In case I forget, please send me a reminder ok?

Tarek.
                        • 9. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                          Dear Tarek,

I also need your sample code, as I am also working on adobe livecycle now, but i am haven't any idea about this.

If you can send me some sample code about LiveCycle form with ASP.NET and SQL Server, it is great appreciated.

Thanks!
                          Stanley
                          • 10. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                            Community Member
                            Try this<br />/Ulf<br />     Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml" <br />        responseString.Append("<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>") <br /><br />     responseString.Append("<?xfa generator='AdobeDesigner_V7.0' APIVersion='2.2.4333.0'?>") <br />        responseString.Append("<xdp:xdp xmlns:xdp='http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/'>") <br />        responseString.Append("<xfa:datasets xmlns:xfa='http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-data/1.0/'>") <br />        responseString.Append("<xfa:data>") <br /><br />     responseString.Append("<form1>") <br />     responseString.Append("<txtFirstName>Homer</txtFirstName>") <br />     responseString.Append("<txtLastName>Simpson</txtLastName>") <br />       responseString.Append("</form1>") <br /><br />     responseString.Append("</xfa:data>") <br />        responseString.Append("</xfa:datasets>") <br />     responseString.Append("<pdf href='http://localhost/PDFFiller/TestForm.pdf'      xmlns='http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/pdf/' />") <br />     responseString.Append("</xdp:xdp>") <br /><br />     Response.Write(responseString) <br />        Response.Flush() <br />        Response.End()
                            • 11. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                              Dear All,<br /><br />Please find below the sameple code to create the Leave Form PDF and merge it with data from back-end database, enjoy:<br />****************************<br />Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load<br />        Dim CurrUserInfo As New [Class].Employee<br />        Dim LeaveTotals As New [Class].Leave<br />        Dim strXML As String<br />        Dim LeaveBalUpdatedOn As String<br />        'Response.Write("User ID = " & Session("CurrUserTXT") & "<br>")<br />        'Response.Write("Name = " & Session("CurrUserInfo") & "<br>")<br />        'Response.Write("Logon User = " & Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") & "<br>")<br />        'Replace the code below to retreive info from back-end with you own code.<br />        CurrUserInfo = [Class].Employee.ShowEmployeeDetails(Session("CurrUser")) 'Session("CurrUserInfo")<br />        LeaveTotals = [Class].Leave.GetTotal(CType(Session("CurrUserTXT"), String))<br />        '<br />        ' Set Content Type for using XDP<br />        '<br />        Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml"<br />        '<br />        ' Constant XDP Header<br />        '<br />        strXML = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<?xfa generator='AdobeDesigner_V7.0' APIVersion='2.2.4333.0'?>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<xdp:xdp xmlns:xdp='http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/'>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<xfa:datasets xmlns:xfa='http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-data/1.0/'>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<xfa:data>"<br />        '<br />        ' Place code here to get the current Logged in user ID<br />        ' and perfrom a query to the back end database and filter by ID<br />        ' then generate the following XML Data using the resultant Recordset ...etc.<br />        '<br />        strXML = strXML & "<topmostSubform>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<LeaveSec1>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<Name>" & Session("CurrUserInfo") & "</Name>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<StaffID>" & Session("CurrUserTXT") & "</StaffID>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<Dept>" & Server.HtmlEncode(CurrUserInfo.FldPositionNo) & "</Dept>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<JobTitle>" & Server.HtmlEncode(CurrUserInfo.FldOccupationName) & "</JobTitle>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "</LeaveSec1>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<LeaveSec4>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<LeaveBalance>" & Server.HtmlEncode(LeaveTotals.AnnualLeaveBalance) & "</LeaveBalance>"<br />        LeaveBalUpdatedOn = LeaveTotals.BalanceUpdatedOnHijri & " H (" & LeaveTotals.BalanceUpdatedOnGreg & " G)"<br />        strXML = strXML & "<BalanceUpdatedOnHijri>" & Server.HtmlEncode(LeaveBalUpdatedOn) & "</BalanceUpdatedOnHijri>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "</LeaveSec4>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "</topmostSubform>"<br />        '<br />        '<br />        '<br />        strXML = strXML & "</xfa:data>"<br />        strXML = strXML & "</xfa:datasets>"<br />        '<br />        ' Point the XPD to the PDF Form created under Adobe LiveCycle Desinger<br />        '<br />        strXML = strXML & "<pdf href='http://idbnet/eHRMDDev/LeaveForm-tst.pdf' xmlns='http://ns.adobe.com/xdp/pdf/' />"<br />        '<br />        ' Close the XPD File<br />        '<br />        strXML = strXML & "</xdp:xdp>"<br />        Response.Write(strXML)<br />        Response.Flush()<br />        Response.End()<br />    End Sub
                              • 12. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                Use the JavaScript code sample below in PDF Button, MouseUp or Click Event, to submit the PDF to the ASP.NET Page:

//debugger
                                var address = LeaveSec1.ContactAddressLeave.rawValue;
                                var replacingStaff = LeaveSec1.ReplacingStaff.rawValue;
                                var mySignature = event.target.getField("topmostSubform[0].LeaveFormPage[0].LeaveSec1[0].SignatureStaff[0]" );
                                //var mySignature = xfa.resolveNode("topmostSubform.LeaveFormPage.SignatureStaff");
                                if (mySignature.signatureValidate() <= 0) {
                                app.alert("Please sign the form before submitting to your Supervisor !");
                                } else
                                if (address == "" || address == null || replacingStaff == "" || replacingStaff == null) {
                                app.alert("Please enter value for Address and Replacing Staff before submitting to your Supervisor !");
                                xfa.host.resetData(mySignature);
                                } else
                                {
                                event.target.submitForm(
                                {cURL: "http://blablabla/LeaveProcess.aspx?SubmittedFormPart=1",
                                aPackets:["datasets","pdf"], cSubmitAs: "XDP"});
                                }
                                • 13. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                  Find Below a complete sample code to process the submitted Leave Form with Email/Workflow sort of features.

I hope you will like it.

----------------------

Const CompanyDomain As String = "xxx.org"
                                  Const CompanyEmailSuffix As String = "@" & CompanyDomain
                                  Const TechSupportEmail As String = "TechSupport" & CompanyEmailSuffix

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
                                  Dim fs As System.IO.FileStream = Nothing
                                  Dim bw As System.IO.BinaryWriter = Nothing
                                  Dim ArchivingDBConn As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
                                  Dim ArchivingDBCmd As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
                                  Try
                                  Dim ServerPath As String = Server.MapPath(".")
                                  Dim LeaveFormFileName As String
                                  Dim LeaveFormFileNameFolder As String
                                  Dim fso As New Scripting.FileSystemObject
                                  Const CONeForms As String = "eForms"
                                  Dim eFormsFolder As String = ServerPath & "\" & CONeForms & "\" & Session.SessionID
                                  If Not fso.FolderExists(eFormsFolder) Then
                                  fso.CreateFolder(eFormsFolder)
                                  End If
                                  Dim sreader As New System.IO.StreamReader(Page.Request.InputStream)
                                  Dim xmlData As String = sreader.ReadToEnd()
                                  Dim xmldoc As New System.Xml.XmlDataDocument
                                  Dim chunk As String
                                  Dim buffer() As Byte
                                  Dim SubmittedFormPart As String
                                  Dim SendFormToEmail As String, SendFormFromEmail As String

xmldoc.LoadXml(xmlData)
                                  Session("SubmittedFormPart") = Request.QueryString("SubmittedFormPart")
                                  SubmittedFormPart = Session("SubmittedFormPart").ToString
                                  Session("StaffName") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("Name")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("StaffID") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("StaffID")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("StaffEmail") = Session("StaffID") & CompanyEmailSuffix
                                  'Session("SubmittedFormSection") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("SubmittedFormSection")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("EmailSupervisor") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("emailSupervisor")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("EmailDeptHead") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("emailDeptHead")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("EmailHRMD") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("emailHRMD")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("EmailEDocFlow") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("emailEDocFlow")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("LeaveStartDate") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("LeaveStartDate")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("AdvanceLeave") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("AdvanceLeave")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("HRMDApproved") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("HRMDApproved")(0).InnerText
                                  Session("emailFinance") = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("emailFinance")(0).InnerText
                                  If Session("LeaveStartDate") = "" Then
                                  Session("LeaveStartDate") = Date.Today.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd")
                                  Else
                                  Dim arrChar() As Char = Session("LeaveStartDate").ToString.ToCharArray
                                  Dim c As Char, strLeaveStartDate As String = ""
                                  For Each c In arrChar
                                  strLeaveStartDate = strLeaveStartDate & Chr(Asc(c))
                                  Next
                                  'Session("LeaveStartDate") = Convert.ToDateTime(strLeaveStartDate).ToString("yyyy-MM-dd")
                                  Session("LeaveStartDate") = Date.Parse(strLeaveStartDate, New System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-GB")).ToString("yyyy-MM-dd")
                                  End If
                                  If Session("StaffID") = "" Then
                                  Response.Write("
                                  ERROR: Staff ID was not specified. Please try again.
                                  ")
                                  Response.End()
                                  End If
                                  LeaveFormFileName = "Leave-" & Session("StaffID") & "-" & Session("LeaveStartDate") & ".pdf"
                                  LeaveFormFileNameFolder = eFormsFolder & "\" & LeaveFormFileName

chunk = xmldoc.GetElementsByTagName("chunk")(0).InnerXml
                                  buffer = Convert.FromBase64String(chunk)
                                  If fso.FileExists(LeaveFormFileName) Then
                                  fso.DeleteFile(LeaveFormFileName, True)
                                  End If
                                  fs = New System.IO.FileStream(LeaveFormFileNameFolder, IO.FileMode.Create)
                                  bw = New System.IO.BinaryWriter(fs)
                                  bw.Write(buffer)
                                  bw.Close()
                                  bw = Nothing
                                  fs.Close()
                                  fs = Nothing
                                  Dim LeaveFormLink As String = "./" & CONeForms & "/" & Session.SessionID & "/" & LeaveFormFileName
                                  Dim BaseLink As String = Request.Url.GetLeftPart(UriPartial.Authority)
                                  Dim thisWebRoot As String = Request.Path
                                  If Left(thisWebRoot, 1) = "/" Then
                                  thisWebRoot = thisWebRoot.Substring(1)
                                  End If
                                  Dim j As Integer = thisWebRoot.IndexOf("/")
                                  thisWebRoot = thisWebRoot.Substring(0, j)
                                  BaseLink = BaseLink & "/" & thisWebRoot
                                  Dim LeaveFormLinkAbsolute As String = BaseLink & "/" & CONeForms & "/" & Session.SessionID & "/" & LeaveFormFileName
                                  Dim LeaveFormHTMLLink As String = " Click her to open the Leave Form (Temporary File) '" & LeaveFormFileName & "'"
                                  Dim LeaveFormHTMLLinkAbsolute As String = " Click her to open the Leave Form (Temporary File) '" & LeaveFormFileName & "'"
                                  Dim EmailSubject As String = "", EmailBody As String = ""
                                  Dim FormProcessingType As String = "", ArchivingRefNo As String = "(not ready yet)"
                                  Dim qArchivingLastRefNo As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader
                                  Dim ArchivingFolder As String = "E:\AppShares\eForms\HRMD"
                                  Dim ArchivingFolderPDF As String = ArchivingFolder & "\" & LeaveFormFileName
                                  Dim ArchivingLinkPDFAbsolute As String = "http://blablabla/eForms/HRMD/" & LeaveFormFileName
                                  Dim ArchivingLinkPDFHTMLAbsolute As String = " Click her to open the Archived Leave Form File '" & LeaveFormFileName & "'"
                                  Select Case SubmittedFormPart
                                  Case "1"
                                  SendFormToEmail = Session("EmailSupervisor")
                                  SendFormFromEmail = Session("StaffEmail")
                                  FormProcessingType = "Leave Form Initiated by Staff, pending Supervisor Approval"
                                  Case "2"
                                  SendFormToEmail = Session("EmailDeptHead")
                                  SendFormFromEmail = Session("EmailSupervisor")
                                  FormProcessingType = "Leave Form Approved by Supervisor, pending Director Approval"
                                  Case "3"
                                  SendFormToEmail = Session("EmailHRMD")
                                  SendFormFromEmail = Session("EmailDeptHead")
                                  If SendFormFromEmail = "" Then
                                  SendFormFromEmail = Session("EmailSupervisor")
                                  End If
                                  FormProcessingType = "Leave Form Approved by Director, pending HRMD Approval"
                                  Case "4"
                                  SendFormFromEmail = Session("EmailHRMD")
                                  If Session("HRMDApproved") = "1" Then
                                  SendFormToEmail = Session("EmailEDocFlow")
                                  FormProcessingType = "Leave Form Approved by HRMD, pending Final Processing"
                                  If Session("AdvanceLeave") = "1" Then
                                  SendFormToEmail = SendFormToEmail & "," & Session("emailFinance")
                                  End If
                                  Else ' REJECTED
                                  SendFormToEmail = Session("StaffEmail")
                                  FormProcessingType = "Leave Form Rejected by HRMD"
                                  End If
                                  Case Else
                                  SendFormToEmail = TechSup
                                  • 14. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                    '''continuation'''

Case Else
                                    SendFormToEmail = TechSupportEmail
                                    SendFormFromEmail = Session("StaffEmail")
                                    FormProcessingType = "Error in Submitted Form Part = '" & SubmittedFormPart & "'"
                                    End Select
                                    Dim myEmail As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(SendFormFromEmail, SendFormToEmail)
                                    myEmail.IsBodyHtml = True
                                    EmailBody = "

" & FormProcessingType & "

"
                                    If SubmittedFormPart >= "1" And SubmittedFormPart <= "3" Then
                                    EmailSubject = "Leave form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' pending your approval."
                                    EmailBody &= "

The Leave Form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' was submitted for your kind approval.

Please click on the link below to open and form, sign it and submit it for further approval.

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

" & LeaveFormHTMLLinkAbsolute & "

"
                                    ElseIf SubmittedFormPart = "4" Then

'
                                    ' APPROVED
                                    '
                                    If fso.FileExists(ArchivingFolderPDF) Then
                                    fso.DeleteFile(ArchivingFolderPDF)
                                    End If
                                    fso.CopyFile(LeaveFormFileNameFolder, ArchivingFolderPDF)

ArchivingDBConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=E:\AppShares\eForms\HRMD\DB\Index_MasterFiles.mdb"
                                    ArchivingDBConn.Open()
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.Connection = ArchivingDBConn
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.CommandText = "qArchivingLastRefNo"
                                    qArchivingLastRefNo = ArchivingDBCmd.ExecuteReader()
                                    If qArchivingLastRefNo.HasRows Then
                                    qArchivingLastRefNo.Read()
                                    If Not qArchivingLastRefNo.Item("LastRefNo").Equals(System.DBNull.Value) Then
                                    ArchivingRefNo = (qArchivingLastRefNo.Item("LastRefNo") + 1).ToString
                                    Else
                                    ArchivingRefNo = "1"
                                    End If
                                    Else
                                    ArchivingRefNo = "1"
                                    End If
                                    qArchivingLastRefNo.Close()
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.CommandType = Data.CommandType.Text
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.CommandText = "insert into [KOFAX-File] ([Field1], [IncominG]) values ('" & ArchivingRefNo & "',1)"
                                    If ArchivingDBCmd.ExecuteNonQuery() <= 0 Then
                                    Throw New Exception("Unexpected error: Zero records inserted into table [KOFAX-File].")
                                    End If
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.CommandText = "insert into [OMDMasterFiles] ([DocId], [DocId1], [Image]) values ('" & ArchivingRefNo & "', " & ArchivingRefNo & ", '" & ArchivingLinkPDFAbsolute & "')"
                                    If ArchivingDBCmd.ExecuteNonQuery() <= 0 Then
                                    Throw New Exception("Unexpected error: Zero records inserted into table [OMDMasterFiles].")
                                    End If
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.Dispose()
                                    ArchivingDBConn.Close()
                                    ArchivingDBCmd = Nothing
                                    ArchivingDBConn = Nothing

EmailSubject = "Leave form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' pending final processing and archiving."
                                    EmailBody &= "

The Leave Form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' is pending final processing, archiving and linking to eDocFlow under Lotus Notes.

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

The Archiving Ref. No. to link this Form to Lotus Notes eDocFlow is: " & ArchivingRefNo & ".

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

" & ArchivingLinkPDFHTMLAbsolute & "

"
                                    Else ' REJECTED
                                    EmailSubject = "Leave form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' Rejected by HRMD."
                                    EmailBody &= "

The Leave Form of '" & Session("StaffName") & "' was Rejected by HRMD.

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

Please click on the link below to open the form, revise the fields and submit again if needed.

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

"
                                    End If
                                    Else
                                    EmailSubject = "*** ERROR **** Unexpected value for SubmittedFormPart = '" & SubmittedFormPart & "'"
                                    EmailBody &= "

Please report this error to technical support

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

Leave Form for '" & Session("StaffName") & "'

"
                                    EmailBody &= "

"
                                    End If
                                    myEmail.Subject = EmailSubject
                                    myEmail.Body = EmailBody
                                    Dim smtpc As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient("put.your.smpt.ip.address.here")
                                    smtpc.Send(myEmail)
                                    Response.Write("Leave Form For: " & Session("StaffName") & "
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    The Submitted Form Part: " & Session("SubmittedFormPart") & "
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    The Submitted Form Status: " & FormProcessingType & "
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    Eamil was sent from '" & SendFormFromEmail & "' to '" & SendFormToEmail & "'
                                    ")
                                    If SubmittedFormPart = "4" Then
                                    Response.Write("
                                    The leave form was Approved and Archived Successfully.
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    " & ArchivingLinkPDFHTMLAbsolute)
                                    Else
                                    Response.Write("
                                    The leave form Rejected by HRMD and returnd to Staff.
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    " & LeaveFormHTMLLink)
                                    End If
                                    Else
                                    Response.Write("
                                    The Leave Form was Submitted and a new Temporary PDF File was created Successfully !
                                    ")
                                    Response.Write("
                                    " & LeaveFormHTMLLink)
                                    End If
                                    Response.Write("
                                    You can add the above link to your Favorites so that you can refer to it later !
                                    ")
                                    xmldoc = Nothing
                                    Catch ex As Exception
                                    Dim err As String = "
                                    Error Occured while submitting the leave form. See details below.

" & _
                                    "Error in: " & Request.Url.ToString() & _
                                    "

" & _
                                    "Error Message: " & ex.Message.ToString() & _
                                    "

" & _
                                    "Stack Trace:" & ex.StackTrace.ToString() & _
                                    "

Please report to Technical Support.
                                    "
                                    Response.Write(err)
                                    Finally
                                    If Not bw Is Nothing Then
                                    bw.Close()
                                    End If
                                    If Not fs Is Nothing Then
                                    fs.Close()
                                    End If
                                    If Not ArchivingDBCmd Is Nothing Then
                                    ArchivingDBCmd.Dispose()
                                    End If
                                    If Not ArchivingDBConn Is Nothing Then
                                    ArchivingDBConn.Close()
                                    End If
                                    End Try

End Sub
                                    • 15. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                      Ref. to the posted code above, I do not know what happened as it was messed up after I posted it. You will spend some effort to find the code you want.

Good luck.

Tarek.
                                      • 16. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                        Community Member
                                        Dear Ulf,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I have some idea on my work.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
                                        Stanley
                                        • 17. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                          Community Member
                                          Dear Tarek,

oh great! Thanks a lot for your code.
                                          It's really save much time for me.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
                                          Stanley
                                          • 18. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                            Mr. Stanley,

Do I know you ? I have a colleague who has same name, or is it just a co-incidence ?!

Regards ...

Tarek.
                                            • 19. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                              Community Member
                                              Displaying & Submitting "Interactive PDF Forms".

1) User browses to page on website.
                                              2) Page displays an interactive pdf form
                                              3) User fills out the fields in the form
                                              4) User click the "submit" button, the interactive pdf form is flattened and saved to a folder on the webserver. Or, the flattened pdf is emailed to other users.

I can easily create the interactive pdf using Adobe Professional, but how can I display the pdf and capture the "submitted" flattened pdf?
                                              • 20. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                Kyle Parker,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to display the PDF on the Client Browser, and the user will fill in the form, then submit to a server. On the server, you need to capture the field value, right ?

Please go back to the beginning of this form, and the sample code I provided does both parts:

1. Use APS.NET to read field values from Database and merge it with Adobe LiveCycle Form (not Acrobat Form). If you are using Acrobat Forms, I guess you have to convert it.

2. In the PDF, there is Java Client Script to Submit the form to a Server.

3. When the form is submitted, there is a sample code that shows you how to retrieve the XDP Package, and parse it to extract the field values. The code was messed up, but if you copy/past to Notepad, it should look better, and you need to spend some effort to get the parts you need.

The program is working fine here at work since it was deployed, and it was a revolution in my company. I think I was the first person to use Adobe PDF in such manner from A to Z.
                                                • 21. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                  Hi Tarek
                                                  I have the same requirement to show data in pdf,. I am able to fill the textboxes, but i am not able to set the values of checkbox and radio buttons.. :(
                                                  i tried by setting the value like 1,'yes','checked','on', but nothing works for me..
                                                  do you have any idea? or anyone else have any idea about that?
                                                  • 22. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                    gagankhurana,

I will teach a good trick to solve related problems, but this is a secret ! (just kidding).

1. Create the Form in Adobe LiveCycle Designer,

2. Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat,

3. Fill the Form Fields with all the kind of values you need,

4. Use the Form Menu option to Export the Values to CSV or XML,

5. Open the exported XML/CSV/Text file and examine the field Names and Values. This is useful for programming in JavaScript also,

6. To confirm, change the field values as you like and save the XML/CSV/Text,

7. Go back to Adobe Acrobat, and Import the new file to the form,

8. Enjoy ...

Tarek.
                                                    • 23. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                      Community Member
                                                      Thanks Tarek..
                                                      I got it..
                                                      This SECRET tip is great in itself...:)
                                                      I will keep in mind.
                                                      I tried and everything is working now...
                                                      Thanks again Tarek.
                                                      • 25. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                        Community Member
                                                        Tarek, or anyone for that matter help would be great.

I have a vital form that clients fill out, which is passed to many people in the company along the workflow. The form is a Planner and we have in the following PDF, Word Doc..

Well before, the Planner.pdf was originally created in Word, since most people have access to Word.. but evolved to a PDF form created from the Word Doc via Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0 w/ User Rights enabled so that the form could be filled out and saved using Adobe Reader.. which was a step better than Word.. being that it is free. But this needed to be easier and more to the point b/c some clients don't particularly like installing the latest version of Reader, even if you provide them the link. Nor do they like saving the form, filling the form, and attaching the form to send back.

My goal is to have the client fill an HTML version of the form, submit and be done with it, but everyone in the workflow be able to easily receive the filled Planner as a PDF form.

So some months ago I ran into this post Chris Trip, "Populate Livecycle PDF from mySQL database using PHP" #8, 22 Sep 2007 4:37 pm

which uses the command line Win32 pdftk.exe to merge an FDF file into an existing PDF on the remote server, and serve this to whoever.

My problem was with shared hosting and having the ability to use the Win32 pdftk.exe along with PHP which is predominantly used on Linux boxes. And we used a Linux box.

so i created the following unorthodox method, which a client fills the HTML version of the Planner, all field values are INSERTED into a table in MySQL DB, I and all filled planners that have been filled by clients to date can be viewed from a repository page where an XML file is served up of the corresponding client, but someone would have to have Acrobat Professional, to import the form data from the XML file into a blank form.. altoughh this is simple for me.. I have the PHP file already created so that when a Planner is filled and client submits. >> the an email is sent to me with a table row from the repository of the client name, #, email, and a link to d-load the XML file,

But I also have the PHP files created so that the Planner can be sent to by email to various people in the workflow with certain fileds ommitted they they do not need to see, but instead of the XML file beiong served up i need the filled PDF Planner to be served.

I can do this locally with ease on a testing server, but I am currently trying to use another host that uses cross-platform compatibility so i can use PHP and the pdftk.exe to achieve this, as that is why I am having to serve up an XML file b/c we use a Linux server for our website, and cant execute the exe.

Now that I am testing the other server (cross-platform host), just to use them to do the PDF handling (and it's only $5 per month) I am having problems with getting READ, WRITE, EXECUTE permissions..

Si guess a good question to ask is can PHP do the same procedure as the pdftk.exe, and i can eleminate it.

or how in the heck can i get this data from the DB into a blank PDF form, like i have described??

here are some link to reference

Populating a LiveCycle PDF with PHP and MySQL
                                                        http://www.andrewheiss.com/Tutorials?page=LiveCycle_PDFs_and_MySQL

HTML form that passed data into a PDF
                                                        http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.20/20.11/FillOnlinePDFFormsUsingHTML/index.htm l
                                                        and an example
                                                        http://accesspdf.com/html_pdf_form/

Well some months
                                                        • 26. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                          Dear Chris,

First of all, I like to thank you for letting me know about Win32 pdftk.exe tool. I think I might use it one day.

I am not sure if I follow you 100%... you have provided a lot of details and so many variable ... I am a little bit lost !

I have read you post several time, and I will give you my feedback to the best of my understanding, and hope that it will make sense to you.

First of all we have to agree of some constant parameters with regards to our problem:

1. We are using Adobe LiveCycle Technology, not Acrobat. I am sure you know the difference.

2. We will use Adobe PDF for Form Data Entry, Submission to the Server, and Form Rendering from the server to the Client by merging data from Back-End Database with the form.

3. The client users must have Adobe Reader to be able to work with the form, and the form can be Reader-Enabled which is a plus (or a must depending on what features you need to use). If some clients do not want to install Adobe Reader, then your solution must be smarter and must adopt some tools to convert PDF to HTML on the Server and push back the result to the client. I did not use such solution, and I know some Adobe Server Products have such feature.

4. I do not know PHP. I use ASP.NET, but I am sure you should be able to find the equivalent in PHP, and I will give you concepts, not language specific details. (Note: at our work environment, we have a farm of different different technologies and platforms and tools, and I am really lost ! My colleague knows PHP and MySQL).

Your Requirement:
                                                          =================
                                                          You want to use PHP to simulate the work of Win32 pdftk.EXE. Correct ?

Solution:
                                                          =========
                                                          Keeping in mind the parameters mentioned above, here is what you need to do:

1. Form Data Entry and Submission to the Server: Design the Form in LiveCycle and create a Button with the needed JavaScript to submit the form to the server and pass the entire Form Data Fields as XML and the PDF Form as Binary, as needed. Check the sample code in this thread in an earlier post. Use : event.target.submitForm(...).

If Adobe Reader is installed and configured properly on the client, then a simple URL Link to the form on the server will do the job. I think the form must be Reader Enabled in order to make some feature work, but I cannot remember all the details.

2. Processing the Form on the Server: the client JavaScript command: event.target.submitForm(...) will do the required magic, after that it is all Web Standards. On the server, you Server-Side Script must use the Request Object to receive the Form Fields and PDF Form File in XML Document and with simple Parsing and Data Conversion, you job is done. I have done this using ASP.NET Server Side Objects and Tools. I am almost 100% sure you will find something similar in PHP. Check the sample code I provided earlier for details.

The received XML Document has 2 major parts: Form Data and PDF File in a String Representation of the Binary Format. This was a tricky part, but I managed to use it to re-create the PDF on the server AS-IS with the help of the Engineer form a Local Adobe Support Representative.

3. Form rendering by Merging the Form Fields with Data from the Back-End Database: Develop a Server-Side Program to do this part using PHP. You simple need to write the code to connect to the Database, open the required Table/View/Stored Procedure ....etc.. and put the required Fields in Server Side Variables. I usually use Session Variables, just in case I need to split my code among several server-side ASPX web pages. Then, you need to have one LONG String Variable to construct the XDP (XML Data Package) Formatted Document. The XDP is understood by Adobe Reader 7.x and above. The XDP has 3 parts: Header, Form Fields Data, and Footer which has a link to the empty LiveCycle PDF. So build the XDP String Variable by Concat , Concat, Concat ...etc... then concat until you are done. You must use a Response Object to set he content type as XDP and write the content of the XDP into the Response. If you XDP String Variable is formatted as per the rules, it will work. XML Does not like some characters, so you must encode them so that they are interpreted properly by IE on the Client.

The sample code I posted earlier has complete details.

If you still require help, please let me know.

Regard ....

Tarek.
                                                          • 27. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                            Community Member
                                                            Tarek:

Thank you sir. I'm i can gain to my situation with your knowledge, but let me clarify for you.

This is 100% server side operation, with the entire operation performed in the same directory. In my current testing case this would be the "planner" folder. Please reference my testing files to go along with my explanation

http://alexisgrand.com/planner/LoanAgreement.pdf

and

http://alexisgrand.com/planner/view.php?sort=LastName

Yes. I am using LiveCycle Designer (8.0)
                                                            =================================================
                                                            NOT a PDF form but rather an HTML form for submission of values to MYSQL DB. **Please note, in my situation this factor is not of importance, we just need a form to get the field values into a MYSQL DB table. But we do want our end result to be a populated PDF served to end-user (Me).

But I am currently using a short "dummy" form which happens to be a PDF form rather than an HTML form, but this is only because I just happened to have it around, and it is in fact "short" and good for the purpose of me testing, once I get the operation successfully working I will replace with a longer HTML form, and replace all of the parameters accordingly to fit my actual form (which has 68 input fields rather than 5 ;)
                                                            The PDF form to be populated and served to end-user (Me) will be the "un-populated" PDF form that always resides on the server.
                                                            now the client has submitted the form and all value have been inserted into the MYSQL DB table
                                                            I have a repository for all of the form submissions.
                                                            here -- http://alexisgrand.com/planner/view.php?sort=LastName
                                                            each form submission has a corresponding "VIEW PDF" link, which looks something like this

http://alexisgrand.com/planner/viewpdf.php?id=25

25 being row id in the MYSQL DB table for this particular form submission, this row contains all of the field values of the submitted , that will be eventually insterted into the blank PDF Form in the directory.
                                                            ==================================================
                                                            http://alexisgrand.com/planner/viewpdf.php?id=25

notice "viewpdf.php" when this page is activated (by clicking the VIEW PDF link) it requests all of the form values needed, and saves them as variables. after variables are saved viewpdf.php creates the FDF structure, which looks like the following:

require_once( 'forge_fdf.php' ); <--- remember this***

$fdf_data_strings= array('form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].LastName[0]' => $pdf_LastName, 'form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].FirstName[0]' => $pdf_FirstName, 'form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].EMail[0]' => $pdf_EMail, 'form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].IDNum[0]' => $pdf_IDNum, 'form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].NetID[0]' => $pdf_NetID, 'form1[0].#subform[0].#area[0].DateSubmitted[0]' => $pdf_DateSubmitted);
                                                            $fdf_data_names= array();
                                                            viewpdf.php then calls on forge_fdf.php which creates an actual "FDF.tmp" on the server (of course in the planner folder)

the FDF.tmp file if opened in a plain text editor would look like this:

%FDF-1.2
                                                            %âãÏÓ
                                                            1 0 obj
                                                            <<
                                                            /FDF << /Fields [ << /T (form1[0]) /Kids [ << /T (#subform[0]) /Kids [ << /T (#area[0]) /Kids [ << /T (LastName[0]) /V (Trip) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            << /T (FirstName[0]) /V (Chris) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            << /T (EMail[0]) /V (chris@chris.com) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            << /T (IDNum[0]) /V (777777777) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            << /T (NetID[0]) /V (555-55-5555) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            << /T (DateSubmitted[0]) /V (2008-02-01) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            ] >>
                                                            ] >>
                                                            ] >>
                                                            << /T (id) /V (4) /ClrF 2 /ClrFf 1 >>
                                                            ]
                                                            >>
                                                            >>
                                                            endobj
                                                            trailer
                                                            <<
                                                            /Root 1 0 R

>>
                                                            %%EOF
                                                            pdftk.exe is now called upon to stuff the FDF into the blank PDF form, flatten it and serve it up to the end-user -- yes, that would be Me ;)

DONE!
                                                            My problem is that this workd GREAT when tested locally http://localhost/planner/ on my Windows machine using WAMP Server

but remotely (where I need it) I use a shared hosting provider on a Linux server, and cannot use pdftk.exe being that is a Win32 based app. (Windows)

there are Linux builds of pdftk, but I am restricted from any installations or shell access.
                                                            ===================================================

so I decided it was that important that i would purchase another hosting plan just to handle this operation, and it would need to be a Windows server to use the pdftk.exe, with the ability to use MYSQL and PHP scripting.

Ok so i have got that taken care of a hosting provider @ only $5 per month plenty of what with more than what i need.

BUT i am not able to control READ, WRITE, EXECUTE permisssions from the control panel, only READ & WRITE.

So after many emails and days, and repeating the sceanrio over and over to tech support, even thought everything is outlined in my Support tickets, and I even made a screen recording demo for tech support.

They have told me that the folder as full permisssions and pdftk.exe is permissioned to EXECUTE.

I get nothing! Just to test, i turned the option off, which deletes the FDF.tmp file immedietly (very quickly) after the merging. Now the FDF.tmp files remain on the planner folder.

They are named like so in this case fdf4AE.tmp, fdf4AF.tmp, fdf4B0.tmp, etc..

well when i activate the viewpdf.php page to do the merging and serve the file up to end-user , tmp files are ever created?? as I connect and reconnect to the directory via FTP to check, and also view from the File Manager in the hosting Control Panel. No tmp files.

so thinking they may be hidden, I move a view tmp file created locally onto the server, and they show up wihtout a problem.

this is were I am stuck at.
                                                            ==============================================

NOW what i have done as a temporary remedy, and the next best thing, which definately is not what Im looking for, is following, i have done this one my orginal remote Linux server.

I have to ave me from typing, I ave created the same scenario as above, but eliminated forge_pdf.php and pdftk.exe from the equation, and intstead, an XML file is served up to end user rather than a finalized PDF. the XML file has to be imported into the unpopulated PDF form, via the Import function under manage forms in Acrobat Pro 8.

you may think this is not big deal, but this isn't close to what I am need of.

so I believe I covered everything. The funny thing is that I do not formally know PHP, I have just examined code and figured everything out thus far.

So does your answer vary in this situation? One thing i can say is that on the Windows server I am using I can use ASP.NET for scripting, so I thought you may be able to provide a solution?
                                                            • 28. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                              Dear Chris,

I think I understand your problem bettwr now, ... I HOPE !

Using pdftk.EXE, it works locally, but when it is hosted live at the provider company, it does not work due to some limitations ...etc.

I tried the link you gave me to open the populated PDF, when I click it, I get a dialog box asking me to Open the PDF, then I get error of some kind.... it did not work on my side probably due to the reasons you mentioned.

Ok, do you want my advise ...??

- DROP pdftk.EXE.

- FDF Method is OBSOLETE ... DO NOT USE IT.

- My understanding is that FDF method should not work with LiveCycle PDF, they are 2 different formats and technologies.

- Use XDP method to merge Data Fields with LiveCycle Form and push back the result to the Client.

- CONSIDER using PDF on the Client Side and Submit the Result to Server using JavaScript (under Adobe). This method will save you the need to convert HTML to PDF and you can get the PDF as-is on the server, even with Digital Signatures protected, if used.

- When the client fills the PDF and Submit as XDP, on the Server, you can retrieve the ENTIRE PDF and Save it to Local Folder with the name you like. Later, you can just compose a link to this file, and no need to do any Data Merging what so ever, and this link can be used to render the same filled PDF with a click of a button. In addition to that, when the form has been submitted to the server, you can still retrieve the form field values and do what ever you want with them.

- Remeber the value of using PDF form in the beginning. Can you visualize the difference between HTML Form and PDF Form ? I am sure you know the difference, but one important difference you may have missed ! The PDF Form, once Digitally Singed by the Author, its Security Identity is PRESERVED and PROTECTED, and no one is "supposed" to be able to break it. And if you try to break it, the Identity will be erased. Also, if you try to make change AFTER it is Digitally Signed, the Attribute of the Digital Signature will be marked as "Changed After Signature". Also, with EACH Digital Siganture, you have a FULL Version of the PDF SAVED for ever inside the SAME PDF, and you always have the option to view the version of the PDF at the time of the Signature and remove all the changes that ocurred after a given signature. It is a TRUE Electronic Replacement of the Real World Forms.

I can spend more than 30 minutes wirting about the benefits of using PDF instead of HTML for Creating the Form at the Client Side.

I hope this helps.

Tarek.
                                                              • 29. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                Community Member
                                                                Thank you, but it definately needs to be an HTML form, as this form is passed to folks all ovver the country to fill out and any one that doesnt have Reader or the correct version.. even though to you and I is just a matter of a couple minutes to resolve but I have seen clients that are not so saavy, just see this as frustrating and move on.

so the HTML form is the solution for the client, and right now everything to set, that onc e aPlanner is submitted, and email link would go out to myself, (producing a fully filled Planner, and seperate emails sent to different folks in the workflow, but with certain fields ommitted for each recipeitn depenfing on there department and if the criteria is relevant to them.

if i could just get thed data merged, everything else is in place.. and life would be even better :)
                                                                • 30. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                  Hi Tarek

I just want to say thank you for the article it's been a great deal of help. I have only one question. Do you know of any way I can set the values of no fillible objects? For example. I want to fill in the submit URL of a button or change the text in a text object. Is this possible?
                                                                  • 31. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                    >Matt W - 11:29am Mar 11, 08 PST (#30 of 30)

>Hi Tarek

>I just want to say thank you for the article it's been a great deal of help. I have only one question. Do you know of any way I can set the values of no fillible objects? For example. I want to fill in the submit URL of a button or change the text in a text object. Is this possible?
                                                                    > ( Matt W, "Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database." #30, 11 Mar 2008 11:29 am)

First, I apologize for the delay in my reply.

If I follow you properly, you are looking way to assign a value to objects that cannot be filled from the user, such as the captions of the text box or the submit URL of the submit button. Is my understanding correct ?

Yes, everything is possible. Please give me a specific requirement with as much detail as possible, and I will try to help.

For example, assigning a value to the caption of a text box, is not a trivial as one might thing. You need to follow a special syntax to make it work.

If you need to assign a value to such objects, and the source of the value is from the back-end database, then you must pass this value in the same manner you are passing the other fields via XML, and then on the client side, using javascript, you need to access the data model and assign this value to the required object property.

In my case, I am currently hard-coding the submit URL in the form, and I am planning to change this and pass the URL from the server to the PDF Form because we have DEV and PROD servers and they must work independently.

Tarek.
                                                                    • 32. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                      Community Member
                                                                      Hello Terek, thanks for responding. You are understanding my situation perfectly. I have two requiremtns for the button. 1 Change the submit url and 2 Change the visibility. I also want to be able to change the text inside a label. I've been playing around with the iTextSharp library but it doesn't seem to have that capibility. Any examples you might have would be appreaciated.

Thank You,

Matt
                                                                      • 33. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                        Community Member
                                                                        How are you able to retrieve the entire pdf file after you submit to the ASPX page? I am able to retrieve the form fields but I don't see any "chunk" element that contains a pdf.

On submit, here is my javascript:
                                                                        event.target.submitForm( {cURL: "http://localhost/EmployeeHire/TestPDF.aspx?SubmittedFormPart=1",bXDP:true, cSubmitAs:"XDP", aPackets:["datasets", "pdf"]});

When setting aPackets to dataset & pdf, the submit button does not seem to work/post any data to the aspx page. But works when I set it to "*". However, there is no "chunk" element.

Any help will be great. Thanks.
                                                                        • 34. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                          dsrirams, "Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database." #33, 13 May 2008 3:13 pm
                                                                          >dsrirams - 3:13pm May 13, 08 PST (#33 of 33)
                                                                          >
                                                                          >How are you able to retrieve the entire pdf file after you submit to the ASPX page? I am able to retrieve the form fields but I dont see any "chunk" element that contains a pdf. Any help will be great. Thanks

From the PDF JavaScript, the command used to submit the PDF must include the required parameters to submit the Form Variables and PDF in Binary format. I have already posted the required Submit javaScript command earlier in this thread.

Tarek.
                                                                          • 35. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                            Just to re-assure... here is the JavaScript command I am using:

event.target.submitForm( {cURL: "http://blablabla/LeaveProcess.aspx?SubmittedFormPart=1", aPackets:["datasets","pdf"], cSubmitAs: "XDP"});

I have looked at the command you used, it is slightly different. Try my version and confirm.

When you debug your ASP.NET ASPX Page after submitting, and convert the request input stream into XML, you should see a chunk element (when you view the XML Variable in the watch window). If you still do not see such element, check the version of Adobe Client you are using. It should be at least version 7.0.5 or higher.

Tarek.
                                                                            • 36. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                              Community Member
                                                                              Tarek,
                                                                              I added the javascript as you had provided. Also, I got the latest reader 8.1. Still the same result. I tried to debug the application, the pdf does not post the form. It does when I remove "pdf" from aPackets parameter. Any suggestions?
                                                                              Is there anything that I need to for the pdf? I created the form using LiveCycle and saved the file. Is there anything else I need to do with the file? When I change the aPackets to "*", the form gets submited to the page and I can see a Template element but no chunck. Is there anything I am doing wrong?
                                                                              • 37. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                                Community Member
                                                                                I was going through Adobe Help and came across..

"Save rights required (): When submitting a
                                                                                document as XDP from the Adobe Reader with
                                                                                aPackets set to pdf (or *, which implies pdf), the
                                                                                document must have document save rights."

Does this mean all my users must have professional adobe versions? I am trying to put a public webSite. Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
                                                                                • 38. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                                  Yes, you are right. When you submit a form with PDF this means you can take a copy of the form and save it under different name. This is not allowed from Adobe Reader.

I think there is an option in Acrobat that Reder-Enable the Form. But as per what I remember, it may not work.

Your only option, if you want to receive a copy of the PDF (with the Form Data Fields) then you have to Reader-Enable the form using LiveCycle Reader Extensions Server, which is going to cost you. There might be other alternatives but I am afraid that you have to contact Adobe Technical Support/Sales to give you an advise in that regards.

Tarek.
                                                                                  • 39. Re: Using Adobe LiveCycle Designer with ASP.NET to populate PDF Forms from Server Database.
                                                                                    is it possible to take a form and upload the xml data to a web server? I found a way to create an email with the .xml file and I found a way to save the data from a form as an .xml file using "xfa.host.exportData" but for the life of me I cant figure out how to post or upload the .xml file to a web server. The closest that I think I have to come to a solution is the "event.target.submitForm" code that was posted in this thread but I dont know what kind of .aspx code I need to write. Currently, the users have to fill in the form and save the file as a .xml file and then go to a .html page I wrote and browse to the .xml file and then click another button to upload the file to a sever, which is a .asp page

first is it possible to do what i want?

If so, do you have a sample or generic .aspx code you can post here? All i want is to create a button that posts the .xml file to a web server - even FTP will work but I need the whole .xml file.
                                                                                    1 2 3 Previous Next